Page 1 of 2
I play lead guitar,and me and my friends are trying to get a band together.We have a drummer,but 2 otherr guitarists.I would like 3 guitars,itd make some arrangements ive ben thinking of easier.But every one of my friends ive approached to play bass has shot it down,because"bass sucks,no one likes it,its not fun"Is there anything I can say to convince people?

edit: the guitarists quit. soooo yeah. I'll keep posting adds..
meh
Last edited by get ta led out! at Jan 5, 2009,
Nope, just need to find a bass player. Most people just think of bass as the boring instrument in the background, only playing route notes....Mostly that's true, but there are some very nice bass lines out there.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
the bass is what gives any song that hard edge that thump in every song
the leading rythum along with the drums while the GUITAR does whatever it does.
Quote by get ta led out!
I play lead guitar,and me and my friends are trying to get a band together.We have a drummer,but 2 otherr guitarists.I would like 3 guitars,itd make some arrangements ive ben thinking of easier.But every one of my friends ive approached to play bass has shot it down,because"bass sucks,no one likes it,its not fun"Is there anything I can say to convince people?

find a lazy guitar player and say, 'hey, look, only four strings.'
Bass is awesome, but not many people play it. Instead of convincing someone to start bass, look further around for someone who already plays bass.

Or you could tell them how much fun it would be to play in a band to convince people to start it.
Bass is lots of fun to play, at least for me. A lot of times I'll set my whammy pedal to an octave below and figure out some bass lines. Its a lot of fun. My buddy Trevor said that he wanted to play bass in the band/jam group I'm trying to assemble even though he plays guitar too. You just need to find a person who is focused on the music that the bass makes, instead of trying to stay in the forefront.
tell all your little friends that think bass sucks SO much a youtube video of the free port jam by john muyng, and classical thump by victor wooten. if they still say bass sucks, i give you permission to open fire
honestly, most new bands don't need bass players.

If you're going to have 3 guitar players, it will probably drown the bass out anyway, especially if you find a pick bassist. It's hard to find a metal bass player (I'm assuming metal because of your idea of 3 guitars), and very few bass players in metal are worth having anyway (Steve Harris). Unless you can find a dedicated bass player that wants to do something different, then i'd say **** it.
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
XD bass is awesome its only boring if you make it boring and its only easy if you make it easy! i used to play guitar but i found it boring and upgraded to bass and have never looked back.
Quote by bassbrotha
tell all your little friends that think bass sucks SO much a youtube video of the free port jam by john muyng, and classical thump by victor wooten. if they still say bass sucks, i give you permission to open fire

That Free Port Jam is amazing!! Wow........ I almost want to play bass myself now
bass can be awesome, especially in a band...i have the most fun on stage on bass or drums, actually. just find a devoted bass player, theres gotta be some real talent around :p
Bass is actually really important part in the band, he/she keeps the rhythm and controls dynamics most of the time.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Quote by skwiddy
Nope, just need to find a bass player. Most people just think of bass as the boring instrument in the background, only playing route notes....Mostly that's true, but there are some very nice bass lines out there.

That is true only if you suck at bass. A good bass player has a lot of fun.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by fireoptic
honestly, most new bands don't need bass players.

If you're going to have 3 guitar players, it will probably drown the bass out anyway, especially if you find a pick bassist. It's hard to find a metal bass player (I'm assuming metal because of your idea of 3 guitars), and very few bass players in metal are worth having anyway (Steve Harris). Unless you can find a dedicated bass player that wants to do something different, then i'd say **** it.

Have you ever had a band practice without a bassist?

It sounds empty and literally feels like something is missing. Bassists are a must have, I think three guitarists is whack personally. If you need something else for arrangements go and find yourself a keybaordist. They can fill some of the missing lower end and play in the guitars register.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'm an aussie bassist, and let me say it is a profession just as much as guitar is. One, it is not boring and two, agreeing with what was said before, bass can be as colourful in it's own way as guitar. For instance, Mudvayne's Ryan Martinie expressed what many could not do in the past. My countrymen the John Butler Trio and their bassists over the years have shaped and helped defined their unique sound to produce what the world hears now. There is the same amount of access to sounds and styles through a bass as there is through guitar, same effects are used, and to a greater extent may be used as a better expression within a piece.

Ultimately it depends on which style is being persued; the likes of the wide hardcore, metal, emo etc genres do employ bass lines which do not interfere with the guitar work and to provide a backbone to the style. However, within these and many other genres, bassists can be extremely talented and influence the end product of many pieces.

I'd rather be an accomplished bassist and contribute to the sound of the band instead of being the extra friend in the corner just playing what you're being told is barely required with no skill whatsoever.
I think the threadstarter should pick up an Ashdown and a Squier Jazz or an Ibanez SR and give it a try learning all his favourite songs on bass.
Quote by smb
I think the threadstarter should pick up an Ashdown and a Squier Jazz or an Ibanez SR and give it a try learning all his favourite songs on bass.

ive ben playing guitar for too long,also in this band im the best guitarist,the other 2,well,they suck.Ive ben teaching them,but i cant put down my guitar,cus then wel have trouble playing stuff as easy as green day.

Not to sound mean,but they are my friends,and i dont want them to get mad when playing lead if they mess up.
meh
Sounds like you haven't been teaching them very well. They'd be better off with proper lessons and you'd be better off dropping the ego.
Quote by Ebucra
find a lazy guitar player and say, 'hey, look, only four strings.'

Do you know why a bass has 4 strings?

Three are spares!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Do you know why a bass has 4 strings?

Three are spares!

I don't get it...
BTW when that book of you's coming out?
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
I don't get it...

Well, y'see...

...ahh forget it.

Quote by Mr.Cuddles

BTW when that book of you's coming out?

Heh heh, I bet you thought I'd forgotten about that, but really, am busy collecting more experiences to write about.
Problem is easily solved: kick at least one guitar player out (you don't want to play with people that are so stupid about music that they could make a comment about bass like that anyway) and get a real bass player to replace him. If one of your buddies tries to play bass it will be no different than if he tried to play lead: he will suck because he isn't good enough. There's no difference in situation, so if you refuse to let him take lead, you damn well better go get a real bass player too.

Personally, if someone in my band earnestly made those comments to me, I'd berate them as a musician in anyway I could for a good 6 months or so... you should probably do the same.
A metal band, eh? Scrolling down through my music library, these are songs that fit into the rock/metal category and have frakkin' awesome basslines:

Alice In Chains - Would?
Apocalyptica - I'm Not Jesus (not originally on guitars, but it could be done)
Black Label Society - Berserkers
Black Stone Cherry - Lonely Train (the "keyboard" fills sound awesome on bass)
Black Sabbath - Nativity In Black
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls, Devil's Dance
Nickelback - Never Again
Pearl Jam - Rats
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
Seether - Fake It, Fallen
Stone Sour - Blude Study, Suffer
Three Days Grace - Animal I Have Become
Tool - Dang near anything by these guys has killer bass.

Anyone who says that bass isn't fun, or doesn't add anything to a band's sound, should have to go through life with their EQs forever set without bass.

Even a half-decent bass player can make or break a band. If he's there, the sound is filled out and has "thump" and groove. If he's not there, it's hollow and the song has no real "movement."

Silly, silly guitar players . . . .
Quote by 12345abcd3
Bass is awesome, but not many people play it. Instead of convincing someone to start bass, look further around for someone who already plays bass.

Or you could tell them how much fun it would be to play in a band to convince people to start it.

Bass is very fun, and for all the friends that show you down when you asked them, play the intro of Black Sabbath's "N.I.B." or Les Claypool's "One Better." That might change their mind, but I think that none of you friends want to play bass, is because alot of people, espcially in most rock, the bass player doesn't get alot of spotlight, and doesn't get as much girls as the drummer, singer, and guitarist.
Think of bands like Rush and Cream playing live. I always find myself listening to the bass more than the guitar anyways! Yes, bass can be extremely simple and boring in some songs, but rhythm guitar can be just as simple and boring as well. Bass is however exciting and fun you make it. I personally enjoy playing bass as well as guitar.

And of course as everyone else mentioned, its necessary to have the low end to a band's sound. I've jammed without any bass before and it sounded like a trebly pile of garbage.
The instrument is only as boring as the person playing it.

Edit: Too all the people that are are like bass is the most important thing in a band and etc... FYI, the band's chemistry is the most important thing in a band.
Last edited by Graveworm at Jul 15, 2008,
ok no, i am not a metal band,im sorry for giving that impression.i like iron maiden,and thats where i got the idea.I figured that i cood take lead and go in and out of the rhythm as bands who have keyboardists do and just soar over everyone,while the other 2 hold down the rhythm.I figured that it would sound better because we cood have one guitar playing rhythm,one doing a solo,and one adding little parts here or there,maybe try harmonizing some parts of songs.I wanna try this with a blues rock style,and if i can learn how to play with a slide,then itd be a Lynyrd Skynyrd type band(im sorry i can never remember how to spell there name)

And no,i am not a bad teacher,they tried guitar lessons but didnt learn **** compared to what they do with me.they play bad because one just picked it up again,and one can't play often because of his parents.And if you tell me to try unplugged,that wont work,because his parents want him to concentrate on other things.He cant even use his money to buy stuff.

Sorry for being confusing,and do NOT say i have a big ego,dickwad.
meh
Last edited by get ta led out! at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by smb
Sounds like you haven't been teaching them very well. They'd be better off with proper lessons and you'd be better off dropping the ego.

Burn.
Quote by Graveworm
The instrument is only as boring as the person playing it.

+1

i play guitar and write my own music but i always try to have the bass do something other than just follow the rhythm guitar exactly, even if i'm just mixing up the octaves to get different sounds.
ask one of your 3 guitarists to play bass till u find a proper bassist, u dont even need 3 guitarists, what are effects pedals and footswitches for anyway?

and a good thing to do would be to find a guy who just has an acoustic guitar(people who've spent there money on an electric would be far more reluctant to just give it up like that) and knows his basic music theory, and get him to start playing. he may not be great at first, but if ur sensible n nice with him n help him along, you might just have unearthed some serious talent!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by get ta led out!

Get a good bassist. Sure they're hard to find but a good one will get serious kudos from the audience.
Listen to any music thats not like commercial pop or generic rock and you will find amazing bass players who play amazing things and add much more depth to their band's music, your friends are ignorant.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
i listen to led zeppelin,the who, and cream.I listen to bands with amazing bassits.Nobody even wants to give it a chance,and i need 3 guitarists(dont ask me why,im formulating amazing dreams of the perfect gigs in me head) where do bassits hang out?do i wait outside the bass section at gc liek a stalker?
meh
If you have three guitarists you'll end up like some real-life version of Spinal Tap, unless you right amazing separate parts for each guitar.
Maybe try to get a bassist from your high school. (I'm assuming you're a teenager- Sorry if you're not and this logic doesn't apply) Usually the jazz band has a bassist. Also, as a tip, all the other bass players at my school and myself started out on trombone, so you could probably convince a trombonist to learn to play bass if your school lacks a bassist in their bands. (Trombone is a gateway instrument to bass)
bass in a band depends on how good the bassist. if you have a crappy guitarist who can only play basic chords guitar doesnt look to great. same with the bass. sadly most bass players dont play anything fancy so people think that its boring. myself i played guitar for 4 years before starting bass and now i hardly ever play guitar, dont use a pick when i do play and half the time i play its slap acoustic.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Get a good bassist. Sure they're hard to find but a good one will get serious kudos from the audience.

This. The first time someone complimented my playing, I was shocked. My first thought was "Wait, you were looking at me?"

Bassists may be hard to find, but it pays off much better in the long run to actually find someone who plays and enjoys bass than it is to ask someone to play bass for you. Someone who actually likes bass will bring a lot more to the table.
the band will benifit from a bassist, but I think you know that.

3 guitarists? damn, you must either have some amazing arrangements, or just want everyone and their mother in the band (I am assuming its the first one)

and third, I would wonder the bass section at GC, if it will get me a bassist.
Page 1 of 2