Do i play a note everytime it clicks, or one when it clicks and one when it doesnt?!? How do i apply metronome to keys/drum/guitar practice?
Pick a pattern to play say

e-12-13-15

And then play it between the clicks of the metronome so it's like....

*click* pattern *click* pattern *click*
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
ahhh so how would i apply this finger strength builder to it (1,2,3,4) fingers up and down the fretboard i think its called the spider? So would i play 4 frets on one string between clicks, 4 frets on 6 strings or the entire fretboard between clicks?
and for that pattern would it go click 12, click 13, click 15, or click 12,13,15, click 12,13,15? cuz if its the latter damn im gonn have to play stuff PRETTY quickly even at 60 bmp...
It'd go click 12-13-15 click.

If you want to just build up strength in all fingers, I'd suggest doing chromatics but playing one string at a time.

E-9-10-11-12
A-9-10-11-12
D-9-10-11-12
G-9-10-11-12
B-9-10-11-12
e-9-10-11-12

So it goes *click* play the tabbed notes on the E string *click* play the tabbed notes on the A string *click* etc etc. You see what I mean?

Edit: If that's too much at 60bpm, try dropping it and working up your speed progressively.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Last edited by Ed Hunter at Jul 15, 2008,
To get it so you play the amount of notes aswell is count in your head or just play the first note however many notes there are per click.

E-9-10-11-12
A-9-10-11-12
D-9-10-11-12
G-9-10-11-12
B-9-10-11-12
e-9-10-11-12

If you are doing that I'd play the 9th fret and jsut count 1, 2, 3, 4 untill i got the rhythm right with the metronome then play 9,10,11,12. Sorry for the bad explanation :P
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
These are some pretty tough to understand explanations. I will try and help, although I don't know if I can do much better. Starting out, use the chromatic scale and go the whole length of the fretboard

For quarter notes play one note per click (when it clicks hit the string). Start off at like 90-100 bpm if that is a comfortable speed. Slower if you need to.

For eighth notes, play two notes per click (One note is played between clicks).

For sixteenth notes, play four notes per click (three notes are played between clicks). You will most likely have to slow to a much slower speed when starting out.

Stick at one tempo for a while until you can do it without messing up when going down the whole fretboard! After you can do it perfectly, up the tempo by 5 or so bpm.

I recommend doing metronome exercises for 15-30 minutes each time you practice. You will see your playing ability, speed, and accuracy improve immensely!

EDIT: Make sure you are alternate picking when doing this! Forcing yourself to alternate pick will help too.
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Last edited by white99z at Jul 15, 2008,
the metronome doesn't tell you when to play, it tells you how fast to play... in sheet music, common time has 4 beats to a measure. so if you use a metronome for that, each click would be one beat of the measure... so the speed of the metronome decides the speed of the measure, therefore the music.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
so essentially you are telling me that a click represents a bar and in that bar lets say its a 4/4 time sig, there would be 4 notes max? so you're saying metronome is only to keep time in your head of rhythm? If this is correct how can I correctly apply it to getting faster?
When I use a metronome I will do quarter notes until I get to the highest Bpm, then eighth notes ect ect.

White99z is most clear on his explanation.
Quote by dxtreme
so essentially you are telling me that a click represents a bar and in that bar lets say its a 4/4 time sig, there would be 4 notes max? so you're saying metronome is only to keep time in your head of rhythm? If this is correct how can I correctly apply it to getting faster?

No, each click represents a quarter note.

If you want to get faster, you have to learn to play very accurately at slow speeds. Using a metronome can help you with that.
Quote by iimjpii
No, each click represents a quarter note.

True if the music is in x/4 time. If the music is in x/8 time then each click is an eighth note etc.
Alright, if you're interested in building your speed, and finger strength then do a 1, 2, 3, 4 pattern. I think that'll do best at first. Next, turn the tempo to something slow, like 60bmp or whatever feels comfortable. Whenever you hear the click you should be playing the first note on the next string. You may be able to go on youtube and find a demonstration. Once you get use to that speed, proceed to getting faster. It keeps you on rythem, and builds your speed. Just don't rush it, make sure you can play it perfect before you try going faster.
the metronome either clicks every four beats or every beat. there should be a light or some indicator on there that shows every beat. anyways playing one note every beat (click) would be playing quarter notes (one per measure). if you play one on every click and in between every click thats eighth notes (eight per measure) (every four clicks/beats is one measure). a metronome just changes the speed.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!