Page 1 of 2
I love a thick, meaty tone with juuust enough treble without it from becoming overly bright. A good balance of fuzz/distortion. I can get these tones with Gibsons, Fenders, and suprisingly, Jacksons (Jacksons for blues? Blashphemy!)

Your thoughts?
Personally I love the tone Eric Clapton gets from his Strat. My other favourite blues tone is the B.B King Lucille tone, they're the best blues tones I think.

I never knew you'd get a good blues tone of a Jackson?
Is it a modern blues tone or a more classic "Delta blues" style tone?
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by dgme92
Personally I love the tone Eric Clapton gets from his Strat. My other favourite blues tone is the B.B King Lucille tone, they're the best blues tones I think.

Definatly not Delta! I play a Jackson King V, which of course most people associate with DEATH SCREAMING BRUTAL THRASH METAL. But I can get such rich, smooth sounds out of it, perfect for blues-that thick Freddie King stlye, although my tone is differant than his. The Jackons have the most comfortable necks I have ever played. I could wail on those all day!
Quote by dgme92

BB's live tone is amazing I agree.
If i could have any tone other than my own (which i love) it would so be BB King's tone when he plays live...
or stevie Ray Vaughan's...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Fender Strat through a Fender Amp cranked. Or at lower volumes through a Maxon OD808.

I get a killer tone. Check out my recordings if you want.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
A voice.

jk (not really). I actually love mine at the moment.
Nashville tele (2,3,4 position) ----> Digitech hot rod (mid gain, 0 morph, mid tone) ------> micro cube (yes i have a small practice space).

Love it.
Otherwise I would have to say Hendrix. He used his to where he could speak with it. Love it
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
SRV

I love John Mayers tone on his trio stuff too. He is obsessed with tone.
A resonator. d:

I kind of like T-Bone's tone for clean and Rory Gallagher's not-so-clean tone.

Edit: Also, Dan from the Black Keys.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Jul 16, 2008,
^Last time I said resonator or a stella 12 string in this kinda thread the TS started whining because it wasn't electric.

But yeah, I agree with you completely, Dan's tone is gloriously huge and T-Bone's cleans are glorious.
And nice avatar.

BB King, Peter Green and Dan Auerbach top my list of best tones on electric guit-fiddle.
I'd be hard pressed to pick my favorite "blues" guitar tone, but I'd guess it'd have to be a toss up between Eric Johnson's or Derek Trucks. In general however, I don't really associate a separate blues tone from my normal guitar sound, and in that I'd like to come close to getting the solo tone Allan Holdsworth achieved with the Soft Machine.
Mine is good. I can never get completely happy with it, it seems. SRV had magnificent tones at times.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
well i got a 57 strat reissue. im not sure what my amp is though. its a hand-me-down from my uncle. I just love the warm tone i get out of it when i turn down the tone nob on my guitar a bit, some treble, some reverb, and some bass. The natural sound of the guitar is probably the best for me.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
One thing that I find gives you some good range when playing the blues is to take a strat or a tele with a clean tone, and turn your amp up to the point where soft picking still gives nice clean sounds, but hard picking or double stops can give you some grit.
depends on the blues.....but i like a strat with the pickup switch pointed towards the neck (ya know what im sayin) and turn the tone knobs all the way up. play on a clean channel, but sometimes on a crunchy tone

low - 3 to 4
mid - 10
high - 10

and i like the reverb pretty high
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I agree with TheHeartbreaker. I tend to get tired of the same tone all the time. Changing tones to suit different songs appropriately is the best way. I could just say I like Rory Gallagher's tone or I like Peter Green's tone (which I do!) but their tones vary song to song, album to album and it's best that way. Suitable variety.
Peter Green. Not only an amazing tone from his guitar, but he's a complete master at controlling it. Great blues playing, for me, is all about subtlety and Greeny could reduce you to tears with just 2 notes.

I also really like Jimmy Pages' ballsy overdriven tone on songs like 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Tea For One'.
Def SRV's tone, John mayer has a nice sound too.

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
Whatever fits the song. Dan Auerbach has a dark, thick, bassy sound. It fits. On many of the Chess recordings, Hubert Sumlin has a thin, twangy sound. It fits.

I, myself lean more to a resonator sound, but a good player can exploit his instrument and get the textures he wants.
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned Derek Trucks's tone. Seriously, when he really wails with the slide... it's just great.

The first time I heard the frst couple minutes of Soul Serenade/ Rasta Man Chant through good speakers, I think I creamed.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned Derek Trucks's tone. Seriously, when he really wails with the slide... it's just great.

The first time I heard the frst couple minutes of Soul Serenade/ Rasta Man Chant through good speakers, I think I creamed.

Or Afro Blue.

I would have mentioned it.

Sg>Super Reverb+glass slide.

That's it.

Win.
^ Yup yup. There are a bunch of guys today that have great tones for their specific sound, Dan Auerbach is a good example, but if I had to pick one, Derek Trucks is it, as far as current guys go.

At times, he gets the growl, and wail, like Duane could do. But then he can also be SOOO smooth.
Yep. That's the beauty of just a guitar going straight to a tube amp with nothing in between. A good guitar playing can making it sing or scream depending on how he plays it. Trucks is a master of that.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Truck's tone wouldn't work for anyone else, I don't think, though.
I like a lot of tones, but the first ones that come to mind as distinctive and instantly recognizable are:

SRV
Albert King
BB King
Freddie King
Albert Collins
Buddy Guy
Robben Ford, or Joe bonamassa

and on the complete opposite of the spectrum, BB King and Greeny
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Aside from what everyone has said,

The tone on Hendrix's "Little Wing," is, in my opinion, the best blues tone.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think its the best tone for almost anything.
Last edited by aseme at Jan 15, 2009,
Derek Trucks and Jeff Beck have the best tones in my opinion. Its combination of skill and gear and they are almost impossible to replicate
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Quote by Dchild042
Derek Trucks and Jeff Beck have the best tones in my opinion. Its combination of skill and gear and they are almost impossible to replicate

I think their playing is some of the most easily recognizable also. Their tones are so unique and specific to them that you can easily pick them out in any recording.
Quote by slidething31
I think their playing is some of the most easily recognizable also. Their tones are so unique and specific to them that you can easily pick them out in any recording.

Ya i was thinking that as well. I enjoy when guitarists have different tones, but it can get way out of hand. Thats when you get the EVH, Tom Morello type people. Its unique but it gives you a head ache after a while.
Last edited by Dchild042 at Jan 15, 2009,
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of "actual" tone based on guitar, amp and effects, not playing style... although that's a fine line.
Quote by microtech
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of "actual" tone based on guitar, amp and effects, not playing style... although that's a fine line.

Well i think they go together. The playing style and techniques of Jeff Beck such as the whammy bar, finger picking, and volume swells contribute largely to his actual tone.
That's why I said it's a fine line, I won't argue with anyone defining tone and style together.

However, based purely on tone, I think if the people on my list played about 5-10 plain notes (no bends, vibrato, etc.) that their tones could still be identified.
Page 1 of 2