i just had to know if it really is a good buy. i've played many times @ Guitar Center and i like it. i haven't had time to play with all the switches yet, because i haven't bought it.

i just wanna know if there is something better by fender within the same range of price.
ADD

Check out my self-recorded demos on my profile!!! C4C

Separation is an illusion.
Well there are plenty of Fenders around that price range...I like the classic aerodyne P, or you could spend a bit more and get a Highway1 or a Geddy Lee. You could go used and get a MIA.
Some have humming issues, and the lack of a blend knob annoys me, but if you like it, then buy it, has decent pickups and its a CIJ Fender, so good build quality, and the look very cool!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by smb
Well there are plenty of Fenders around that price range...I like the classic aerodyne P, or you could spend a bit more and get a Highway1 or a Geddy Lee. You could go used and get a MIA.

oh yea, geddy lee and the highway are my other options. im just stuck and my b-day is comin up :P
ADD

Quote by george8392
oh yea, geddy lee and the highway are my other options. im just stuck and my b-day is comin up :P

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038

Same price and IMO a very worthy competitor. When looking in this price range, this is possibly one of the "must see" basses from fender.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038

Same price and IMO a very worthy competitor. When looking in this price range, this is possibly one of the "must see" basses from fender.

its nice lookin and its got 24 frets...same price as the jag too.

def worth considering.
ADD

^Definitely check out the jazz 24. To me it blows the Jag out of the water. The fact that the jag has no blend knob or ability to blend pickups makes it completely out of the question in my mind, but whether that's a big deal is up to you.
If you're set on Fender, do try the Jazz 24 or its 5 string brother, the Jazz V 24, as well as the others in that price range. Your bass choice should be made after trying many options, since you will be living with your choice for some time.
ya i have a deluxe series jazz bass v and its awsome and cheaper lol but i love those jags to so ya
Ive got a jag, and i have no problems with it at all, i would recomend it without hessitiation.

Though i do wish it had more frets, its only got 20 and i miss my 21st fret i have on my sub.
Bam
Quote by Wil256
Ive got a jag, and i have no problems with it at all, i would recomend it without hessitiation.

Though i do wish it had more frets, its only got 20 and i miss my 21st fret i have on my sub.

Why? I've always wondered why people distinguish between 20 and 21 frets. How big of a difference does that make? I mean, 20-24 is a huge difference, but 20-21 doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
Well if it's only 20 frets then your bass goes from low E to high Eb which is just annoying
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Why? I've always wondered why people distinguish between 20 and 21 frets. How big of a difference does that make? I mean, 20-24 is a huge difference, but 20-21 doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

wrong dude
21-24 is not a big deal
20-21 really annoying, you can get that high E and is just annoying to stay in the Eb and bend in the last fret is not really comfortable
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Does everyone play in the key of E constantly? Is that note really all that important? Why not the F? The extra fret doesn't add any fret access, really and only one note. 24 frets ont he other hand, not only add a fair few notes, they also enable the double octave of each string and way better access.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Does everyone play in the key of E constantly? Is that note really all that important? Why not the F? The extra fret doesn't add any fret access, really and only one note. 24 frets ont he other hand, not only add a fair few notes, they also enable the double octave of each string and way better access.

The fret access is fine on J basses, but I would have liked to have that 21st fret too, I've found numerous songs that use it, but hardly ever the 22nd to the 24th.

IMO definately look at the Jazz 24's, the active pickups are seriously lush.
Either that, or get an aerodyne, I would love to have one, they're like nothing else (apart from the RBX-A2, which is basically the same idea :p.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Stop grumbling about frets, My Mustang only has 19, so think how I feel!!!

lol
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Well the "what difference does that one fret make?" argument would leave us with only the first position. After all, we have all the notes there!

There has to be a "sensible" range and in my view having three octaves makes sense. I prefer 24 frets, but I definitely don't want less than 21.
24 frets is the best I have to say, and yeah, the 19 frets can get annoying, but I still adore my mustang, its just cool, lol, in the words of Thunderbird owners everywhwere "I like it,thats why its good" lmao

but yeah, next bass is gonna be a 24 fretter, make no mistake
Quote by the humanity