When bands play on stage they have to remember roughly 15-20 songs, they play the songs with no notes. My qusetion is why do musicians in orchestras need the notes in front of them, is learning a song different for them or something?

Sorry if I offended anybody.
after practicing off sheet music enough times, you tend to remember the piece quite well actually.
I'd imagine its because band members make up their parts, so its much easier remember them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the orchestra members play what the conductor wrote, or something like that.
Quote by Death_To_Emo
Hey I said this once
Quote by george8392
after practicing off sheet music enough times, you tend to remember the piece quite well actually.

Yeah, but it's possible to play something you've never heard before if you have the notes in front of your nose. So it depends on the piece if they need or don't need sheet music.
Am not sure how orchestras work. But I thought each member would be given there piece of the music and had to learn it within a week or something.
because orchestra peices go on for ten minutes of intricately arranged and non repeating music, wheras for a band all you need to know is intro verse chorus verse bridge middle 8 double chorus outro, in which most of these parts only have a few chords
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Lots of reasons that have been mentioned.

Also, keep in mind that any particular person's part might be fairly illogical because they might only be playing certain accented notes. Not to mention they may very well have played a different part they last played the song.

Besides, it is also traditional to have the sheet music there. If they are familiar with the part, they don't really need it.
as someone who plays in an orchestra,and a rock band.The music in an orchestra is way more complicated and it helps to have something to reference back too during a performance.With a rock band most of the music is repetitive and you can remember where you are at in a song during the song.
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
as someone who plays in an orchestra,and a rock band.The music in an orchestra is way more complicated and it helps to have something to reference back too during a performance.With a rock band most of the music is repetitive and you can remember where you are at in a song during the song.
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Orchestra's use sheet music with loads of markings on the sheets such as dynamics and accent markings that just cant be remembered along with the actual music.
Quote by Zoso68
, wheras for a band all you need to know is intro verse chorus verse bridge middle 8 double chorus outro, in which most of these parts only have a few chords
tell that to dream theater or tool.
Quote by z4twenny
tell that to dream theater or tool.

not saying all, theres a lot of good rock bands out there, but i simply can't sit there and memorize all six pages of bachanalle from samson and delilah if for no other reason than it never repeats itself
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.