Which should I use, what sounds do they give?

I play mostly funk and Flea-like stuff, I do slapping as well as finger picking and I play on a Washburn Taurus T14 with a J- and a P-pickup.

Thanks for any help.
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
you want roundwounds

roundwounds = brighter sound
flatwounds = mellower sound
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I only see flatwounds on old men's jazz guitars, and standing basses but i think that might be completely different...
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
I bought a set of flatwounds once just to see what they were like, they felt great to play but the sound was not what I was looking for, they doesn't have too much pop or punch that I had wanted
If you're going to do any slap, roundwounds are the way to go.

Slapping on flatwounds sounds terrible. I personally love flatwounds, great bottom end and smoothness.
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
Another one for the roundwounds, there isn't even a question about it. Fretted bass, you want to slap, play brighter sounding styles of music. Roundwound is perfect.

I can't honestly see the point of putting flatwounds on a fretted bass. I played one with them once, and it just seems like they canceled each other out. The brightness you got from the fret contact was mellowed by the flatwound's....mellowness. As a result the tone on the thing was pretty crappy. But hey, maybe there is a way to make it work, who knows.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
James Jamerson is the first bassist that springs to mind with flats on a fretted bass. (A Precision)

His tone is great on most Motown recordings.

Steve Harris also uses flats if you're after an example of flats in rock.
Thanks a lot to everyone who replied, it was very useful to me
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Quote by Fett13
Another one for the roundwounds, there isn't even a question about it. Fretted bass, you want to slap, play brighter sounding styles of music. Roundwound is perfect.

I can't honestly see the point of putting flatwounds on a fretted bass. I played one with them once, and it just seems like they canceled each other out. The brightness you got from the fret contact was mellowed by the flatwound's....mellowness. As a result the tone on the thing was pretty crappy. But hey, maybe there is a way to make it work, who knows.

For one the feel of flats are incredible in my books. They feel like silk. For two, I find the tone is nice and mellowed out, which I think is a plus, obviously others don't though.
Quote by Killed-By-Death
James Jamerson is the first bassist that springs to mind with flats on a fretted bass. (A Precision)

His tone is great on most Motown recordings.

Steve Harris also uses flats if you're after an example of flats in rock.

Bingo. There's your reason in a nutshell. You can get a great thumpy mellow R & B funky sound with Flats on a Precision. Its also great for jazz and if you play quite a bit with acoustic guitarists.

My next string change on my Pbass clone are going to be Roto Flats. And I agree with Bales, I love the way they feel and sound.
I could sleep on my flats.
Quote by malaysia_mari
anyone else using flatwounds on a jazz?

yeah it was pretty good but a mistake on my part because I don't need flats for my style of music
^people referring to flats on frets: Like I said at the end of my post, maybe there is a way for it to work, and you have shown there is. Guess i just got a crap example when I was playing it. Oh well. As for flat in general though, I love them on my fretless, I just personally can't imagine them on my fretted bass. Personal preference at all, if you can make it work, more power to you. Looks though like there are few examples of it working so I imagine it isn't an easy thing to get any kind of decent tone out of them. It can be done, just not easily.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
nice one, i learned from this thread too

which type create more string tension- flats or rounds?
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Fett13
^people referring to flats on frets: Like I said at the end of my post, maybe there is a way for it to work, and you have shown there is. Guess i just got a crap example when I was playing it. Oh well. As for flat in general though, I love them on my fretless, I just personally can't imagine them on my fretted bass. Personal preference at all, if you can make it work, more power to you. Looks though like there are few examples of it working so I imagine it isn't an easy thing to get any kind of decent tone out of them. It can be done, just not easily.

Fett, it really depends on the bass and the style of music. I wouldn't put flats on my Ibanez SR800, it wouldn't sound ideal and it doesn't quite fit the style of music I play with that bass. But on a Precision, they just sound good and so old school. I also like them on my fretless as well.
Quote by Dan_Q
nice one, i learned from this thread too

which type create more string tension- flats or rounds?

roundwounds I believe
Quote by anarkee
Fett, it really depends on the bass and the style of music. I wouldn't put flats on my Ibanez SR800, it wouldn't sound ideal and it doesn't quite fit the style of music I play with that bass. But on a Precision, they just sound good and so old school. I also like them on my fretless as well.

yeah, I'm not denying its possible, just saying It is fairly difficult to get a good tone from it. possible, just requires a lot of time and effort spent balancing it out and getting it to work. Not something I'm interested in trying, but yeah, if someone can do it and do it well, great. It just doesn't seem like something everyone can pull off.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
If you like the feel of flats, but the sound of rounds, half-rounds are a good compromise. They're a little warmer than standard rounds, but not too much, and a lot better feeling than either IMO
Nope, no sig here.
I use flatwounds on my fretless, because I think they sound great, but I would never in my life use them on a fretted base, like Fett13 said they cancel eachother out
Flatwounds are good, but if you're going to be playing anything in the higher register, it won't sut through as much.

I loved the nice warm tone i got from my flats, but the highs were severly lacking. If you want to hear what flats on a jazz bass sound like, listen to my MP3s.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Ahlers
Which should I use, what sounds do they give?

I play mostly funk and Flea-like stuff, I do slapping as well as finger picking and I play on a Washburn Taurus T14 with a J- and a P-pickup.

Thanks for any help.

I find it odd that everyone suggested roundwounds; Flea uses flatwounds on his '61 Jazz bass, the recorded bass in Stadium Arcadium. However, his signature GHS string is a roundwound, which probably explains his earlier sound.

In any case, roundwounds are the strings you are looking for, as everyone else has explained. Don't be discouraged to experiment, however. You might be interested in the feel or sound difference flatwounds give you.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by Bonesaw
roundwounds I believe

Thanks for that man

In any case, roundwounds are the strings you are looking for, as everyone else has explained. Don't be discouraged to experiment, however. You might be interested in the feel or sound difference flatwounds give you

I think I will experiment, I'm gonna give them a try cheers
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by graybass_20x6
I find it odd that everyone suggested roundwounds; Flea uses flatwounds on his '61 Jazz bass, the recorded bass in Stadium Arcadium. However, his signature GHS string is a roundwound, which probably explains his earlier sound.

In any case, roundwounds are the strings you are looking for, as everyone else has explained. Don't be discouraged to experiment, however. You might be interested in the feel or sound difference flatwounds give you.

Really? I thought he just used his Modulus and the GHS strings for Stadium.
Tell me baby doesn't really sound like a flat slap...
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
^ he used a jaco relic jazz bass with his custom GHS strings on tell me baby. for all other songs he used his jazz bass with flatwounds.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M