I went to my local guitar shop (not a big box one a independently owned one that has been around for quite sometime) to get a set up done on my guitar the guy said 55 bucks i said sure.

then I came back and picked up my guitar and there is massive fret buzz on the 5th fret for most string and fret buzz in a few other spots around the neck...

Did I get ripped off or should a guitar have this?
Usually local shops are pretty understanding if you take it back in and tell them there is a problem. I'm sure they will fix it for free.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
If the buzzing not going through to the amp it's OK. Try that out first
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
If the buzzing not going through to the amp it's OK. Try that out first

thats as maybe but for $55 i'd want it pretty damn good
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
thats as maybe but for $55 i'd want it pretty damn good

lol if it wasn't present unplugged then it wouldn't be a problem with the guitar, that's what he was saying..

and yeah just take it back and be like i just got my guitar set up by you guys and now i have a lot of fret buzz. and then they'll fix it. if they won't, which they will, demand your money back lol.
Very few guitars will ever be buzz free. Is it your Fender and is it an actual Custom or a modified MIM or whatever? I would expect a Fender to be darn close. Did you get specific about string/action height? If it's focused around the 5th fret, there could be an issue with the fret. $55 is about right where a good setup should be.