Not enough discussion on this amp. Figured I'd go ahead and put some out there for future buyers, since I had so much trouble finding good reviews. First of all it is 100 Watts not 120 like everyone seems to think. Second it is single channel, and that channel is dirty. Not distortion, nice overdriven tubes crunchy. The versatility is definitely not great, however with a nice multi-effects into the power amp, just about any sound can be reproduced fairly well. The only thing I would say this amp is just plain bad for is metal. I can get super hard metal type sound out of it with my digitech multi-effects pedal, but it's not ideal. This amp excels somewhere between the rolling stones and lynyrd skynyrd. I absolutely love the tubey crunch to it, which I better because thats about all the amp will do by itself.

Side note: I have the 4 x 12 slant cab that is voiced for this, I'm not sure what speakers are in it, but I'd love to know. Anyone done any experimentation with different cabs/speakers?
The 120 comes from some webstores (Musiciansfriend? Oh well, a few of them anyway) advertising it as 120 watts.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by tubetime86
Not enough discussion on this amp. Figured I'd go ahead and put some out there for future buyers, since I had so much trouble finding good reviews. First of all it is 100 Watts not 120 like everyone seems to think. Second it is single channel, and that channel is dirty. Not distortion, nice overdriven tubes crunchy. The versatility is definitely not great, however with a nice multi-effects into the power amp, just about any sound can be reproduced fairly well. The only thing I would say this amp is just plain bad for is metal. I can get super hard metal type sound out of it with my digitech multi-effects pedal, but it's not ideal. This amp excels somewhere between the rolling stones and lynyrd skynyrd. I absolutely love the tubey crunch to it, which I better because thats about all the amp will do by itself.

Side note: I have the 4 x 12 slant cab that is voiced for this, I'm not sure what speakers are in it, but I'd love to know. Anyone done any experimentation with different cabs/speakers?

I can get a good metal tone with just a tubescreamer in front. I use an Eminence Legend and some other speaker in a 2x12 and it sounds really good with my Windsor.

Quote by Fama
The 120 comes from some webstores (Musiciansfriend? Oh well, a few of them anyway) advertising it as 120 watts.

It says it runs 120 watts at 4 ohms or 100 at 8 or 16 in the manual.
Last edited by Geartrigger at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by Geartrigger
I can get a good metal tone with just a tubescreamer in front. I use an Eminence Legend and some other speaker in a 2x12 and it sounds really good with my Windsor..

Do you go into the preamp or the effects loop?
Quote by tubetime86
Do you go into the preamp or the effects loop?

The preamp, I've never tried/heard of someone putting an overdrive in the effects loop.
i still don't understand why they made it 100 (or 120) watts
they should of made it less so that it would break up easier, i imagine 100 watts is hard to clip?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
i still don't understand why they made it 100 (or 120) watts
they should of made it less so that it would break up easier, i imagine 100 watts is hard to clip?

You would think that, but this thing breaks up right away. I literally turn the pre amp as low as is possible while still making noise, or just go into the effects loop and skip the pre amp for clean. Its not overdriven until 5 or 6 on the pre amp, but definitely not clean.
Quote by tubetime86
You would think that, but this thing breaks up right away. I literally turn the pre amp as low as is possible while still making noise, or just go into the effects loop and skip the pre amp for clean. Its not overdriven until 5 or 6 on the pre amp, but definitely not clean.

ah well i see i hope it breaks up easily as it is probably one of those amps thats just meant to have one nice pretty dirty power tube saturated channel lol (sorry for the mouthful)
well isn't the combo 20 watts? that thing must be like insanely easy to break up
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I hear this thing is really muddy, which is why I never got it when I was looking for an amp (plus it was too loud for current usage).

I will say to all people, that if you do get one, get this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_windsor_head_212_bundle.htm

Head + a 2x12 cab with 2 Celestion Vintage 30s. All for £370.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Next time I go to a local store, i'm gonna give the Windsor combo an hour of playing, see what I think of it. I thought it was good enough for the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Next time I go to a local store, i'm gonna give the Windsor combo an hour of playing, see what I think of it. I thought it was good enough for the price.

yeah i have to say my first thought is that if it really breaks up that much than its probably pretty muddy and loose, maybe a good od would help that
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I can tell you though, it's not near as bad as everyone thinks it is.
The cleans were darker, and some of the features were pretty nice. The mid gain OD was actually pretty good.
I would assume a good set of tubes and a good speaker would do it a lot of good.
But, at least it's priced right.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I bought one last week and so far I like it. I got it used and it had a bad preamp tube. You can definitely tune your sound with the tubes. These are very hard to beat for $400 and many places will ship them free.
Oh............ I forgot to add, It goes to 12 not just 11. How cool is that?
The head is actually 100w... 4 EL34s.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
DW what tubes did you replace and with what? What did you spend, did you do it yourself? End result?
It has 1 nos Zenith 12ax7 and 2 Groove tube GT12ax7r in the preamp and 4 Ruby el34's. When I got this last week it had a bad tube in the preamp, I had the new Zenith so in it went. I found the old Zenith for $5 and put it in myself. The tubes are all easy to change, you can mix and match the preamp tubes to adjust the sound with no problems. The power amp tubes need to be a matched set when replacing, some amps need the bias set and some don't when changing power tubes. I don't know for sure about the Windsor, hopefully someone that knows FOR SURE will post on this.

acdclandon I have a JCM 900 as well and It is a great amp also. I know you want a 900 but don't overlook the Windsor, it is a great deal for the money. I got my Windsor used for $180 and then replaced the tube. For under $200 I got a really good sounding amp.
Last edited by DW# at Jul 16, 2008,