I just got back from a Herbie Flowers bass workshop that he did in my area after I got offered a spot from my school.

It was great He and his small backing band (Drummer/Percussionist, Pianist/singer) ran through several great jazz songs, and me and my mates got to play along.

I also got to play his 1950's Fender Jazz Bass for around half an hour, it was a little scary, holding a £50,000 pound instrument (Thats what he reckons it's worth anyway) but it sounded great.

He was really funny, charming down to earth guy, and he chatted to everyone. I was really surprised at how casual he was with this jazz bass. He just left it around and let pretty much everyone play it and mess around with it while he just played his upright.

He's also slightly mad
"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away"
1950's Fender Jazz Bass? That's crazy! Wouldn't put it at 50,000 pounds, but damn it's worth a lot.

Good stuff though. Seems like a nice guy
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

The Jazz bass was first made in 1960 I believe. are you sure it wasn't a P-Bass they were made from 1951 onwards.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Well, I thought it was a little high, but then again i've never seen a 50's jazz been sold.

But considering it's been played on loads of David Bowie songs, Walk on The Wild Side and some T-Rex, I could see some added value.

Plus the fact that it sounds like sex.

To IndianRockStar: I learnt a fair bit. To be honest, he didn't teach any technique, which is no surprise, but i'm not complaining, I probably learnt more about general attitude and feeling.

Did I mention the whole thing was free?

To quote Herbie "After all, we bass players rule the world"
Quote by musicmanstinger
The Jazz bass was first made in 1960 I believe. are you sure it wasn't a P-Bass they were made from 1951 onwards.

Hmm. I'm 110% sure it wasn't a P-bass, and Herbie said to me he didn't like Ps.

But he also said it's his bass' 50th birthday next year.

On Wikipedia it says "He is a long time user of a 1959 Fender Jazz Bass that he purchased from Manny's in New York City during a 1959 visit."

I'll take Herbies word for it, that it was a '59 Jazz.

Sorry for double post btw.
you can just use edit, you know.

but really cool. I got to see Mike Watt jam with a painter one time, and that was pretty cool. I had to leave early because some dude whipped out a bong and gave me a major headache.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Jam with a painter?

Trippy.
it was really cool. I think this guy did some painting for a Sonic Youth album? don't know which one. supposedly he made the Black Flag symbol too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Killed-By-Death
Hmm. I'm 110% sure it wasn't a P-bass, and Herbie said to me he didn't like Ps.

But he also said it's his bass' 50th birthday next year.

On Wikipedia it says "He is a long time user of a 1959 Fender Jazz Bass that he purchased from Manny's in New York City during a 1959 visit."

I'll take Herbies word for it, that it was a '59 Jazz.

Sorry for double post btw.

Oh right I see, It must have been one that was made before they were officially released sorry for the smart arse comment.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
No problem, I didn't see it as smart-arse, just a misunderstanding. I always thought Jazzes were 60s too.
It's a 1959 Jazz bass. Yep, that means it's a prototype. Something I read also about there being no nitro topcoat, so the Lake Placid Blue finish didn't turn to a Sherwood Green-like finish. The electronics are totally, totally different too - including a built in fuzz tone that doubles the volume and halves the tone (or something like that). I had a email conversation with a former roadie about a year ago.

But yeah, I'm a huge fan, and am thrilled that I'm not the only one. His David Bowie, Lou Reed, and Harry Nilsson recordings are simply not clouted enough, and it's good that someone else knows he has independant chops too.

Take a Walk on the Wild Side wouldn't have been a hit hadn't it been for Herbie's simple and genius bass line (two basses - an upright outlining root notes, and an electric outlining the major 10ths - however, when the root bass goes down to F, Herbie goes UP to the major 10th 2 octaves up... or I guess the major 17th?). It wasn't Lou's stupid, stupid lyrics or 2 chord guitar part.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 16, 2008,
I loved the interplay between the upright and electric on that song. He jammed with volunteers live, he played the upright part and we got to do the slides.

And I reckon you're right, if it wasn't for that bassline, I doubt it would've been a hit.
That song is the perfect example of simplicity being all that's needed, although I'll disagree with you a little bit on the lyrics...somewhat surreal in places, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But yeah, stunning bass.
^No. I refuse to give any credit to a song that, in the same verse, rhymes island with darling and head with head. Lou even tries to pronounce island and darling the same.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I always think it's sad that Herbie only got paid a session fee for most of his best works.

The guy deserves better.