Surprisingly, I didn't see a Beach Boys thread. So I thought I'd make one.

Ya see, recently I saw Brian Wilson live in concert and although he sat down on a stool the whole time and he moved a muscle once the entire time, the music was great. His band sounded just as good as the beach boys, if not better. Because the beach boys were never that great live IMO.

Now, everyone knows the early beach boys stuff like 'Surfin' USA', 'Fun, Fun, Fun', and 'I Get Around'. That stuff is cool and everthing, but its the Pet Sounds and Smile Beach Boys stuff that absolutely blows my mind. This stuff is absolutely in the Same league as Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles other epic stuff. Its a shame Smile wasn't released when it was first created, but Brian Wilson finally brought it back a couple years ago. I think that Wilson is a genius, and songs like "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villians" will back that up. And also, 'God Only Knows' is arguablely one of the most beautiful songs ever written IMO.
True, I have to give Brian Wilson a lot of respect for his arranging abilities. While lots of people hail Pet Sounds as one of the greatest pop albums of all time... I feel like it sounds dated... which sort of hinders it from being in the league of Sgt. Pepper to me.

Oh also, major points to Brian Wilson for his musical use of the theremin! That's not an easy feat.
I think that they could have dropped the "Oomm Bop Bops" after they decided to become more experimental with their music, but I guess that having those somewhat corny harmonies make Pet Sounds differentiate from the likes of Sgt. Pepper.

But I must say, that regardless of what anybody will ever say, 'God Only Knows' will never be dated.
I respect Brian Wilson for his musical talents, But I have never been a big fan of the Beach Boys.

I actually saw a documentary that was filmed when Brian was really depressed. He gave interviews while he was in bed under the covers. That, to me, is pretty pathetic.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I made a thread a while ago but there wan't really much of a response. Anyway, Pet Sounds is one of the best albums ever. Better than Sgt. Pepper, IMO. Smile is great as well....but it's no Pet Sounds
SMiLE most likely would have been better than Pet Sounds, had it been released when it was supposed to be. Smiley Smile was released in its place after it was shelved, but it was not nearly as good as what smile would have been. Brian Wilson seems to think that SMiLe was far ahead of its time.
Quote by master
Was John Stamos there?

You win.

Brian Wilson may be sitting down, but it's remarkable that he's still alive and touring.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I really enjoy The Beach Boys in every aspect. They're a band they I have been listening to since I was a child, whether it be their earlier, pop music or their experimental, more intricate (if you could call it that) music. Both styles are great. The members of the bands might not ever be mentioned as the greatest guitarists, bassists, drummers, or anything of that sort, but the songwriting and vocal harmonies achieved by the group have been matched by very few.

There's also a certain joy I get from simply hearing the band, whether I'm actually listening to them or I walk into a store and notice that they're on the radio. Along with Chicago, The Beach Boys were one of the bands that would frequent my family's summer vacation to the beach.

Quote by metallicaPOOS
But I must say, that regardless of what anybody will ever say, 'God Only Knows' will never be dated.

That is a very true statement. The song I Can Hear Music has a similar effect on me.

Also, if you're a fan of The Beach Boys, I highly recommend checking out the band Fleet Foxes.
Possibly the most perfect band in the world?

Brian is an absolute genius!

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

i'm a huge beach boys fan. i love music with geat harmonies and the beach boys deliver them by the bucketload. i love pet sounds and smile, but its also great fun listening to the older surfing/driving/girls songs.

i highly recommend brian wilsons autobiography 'wouldn't it be nice' for a really candid insight into his mental problems, addictions and the general craziness of his life.
Especially with the return of good weather, I've been listening to the Beach Boys more and more often.

RIght now I'm listening to Brian Wilson's "Smile"
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
Especially with the return of good weather, I've been listening to the Beach Boys more and more often.

RIght now I'm listening to Brian Wilson's "Smile"

I agree with the first statement.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I've never got around to listening to these guys that much.
I have Sunflower and Endless Summer and my Dad has Pet Sounds.
I need to get on that.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by dividedsky
True, I have to give Brian Wilson a lot of respect for his arranging abilities. While lots of people hail Pet Sounds as one of the greatest pop albums of all time... I feel like it sounds dated... which sort of hinders it from being in the league of Sgt. Pepper to me.

Oh also, major points to Brian Wilson for his musical use of the theremin! That's not an easy feat.

he never actually uses a theremin. Its a tannerin. Its kind of like an electric string instrument that you play with a slide I think.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
he never actually uses a theremin. Its a tannerin. Its kind of like an electric string instrument that you play with a slide I think.

A tannerin is basically another name for electris theramin

I just had SMiLE delivered and i'm freaking excited to listen...

Pet Sounds, maybe the greatest album ever.

for years i couldn't stand them, but i was a just a dumb kid.
Quote by uhh_me?

Yep. I'm ashamed that it took me so long to buy it.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by uhh_me?

for years i couldn't stand them, but i was a just a dumb kid.

It IS amazing! After hearing Brian's SMiLE yesterday though I don't think I could possibly choose between them. What a genius....

I too am ashamed at how long it took me to get into the Beach Boys, but after borrowing my dad's copy of Pet Sound's I was immediately hooked.
This thread should be much bigger by now...
Pot
Kettle
Black
Top 3 beach boys albums for me are definitely Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, and Wild Honey.

But I don't know if I like Pet Sounds or Smiley Smile better.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Pet Sounds is one of the best albums I've ever listened to. It took me so long to buy as well. Only album that can match the brilliance of SGT Pepper and Revolver.
Pet Sounds will always be one of my favorites. So very far ahead of its time, especially for a pop album. I find it altogether saddening that the album didn't sell much better -- which caused much of the angst/anxiety Wilson had subsequently, and along with infighting with the band, it crippled his creative spirit. Pet Sounds ultimately is Brian's best, but he could have done even better.

When I listen to Pet Sounds, it takes me back to that place in the mid 60's where the drugs aren't just for ****ing you up and the scene transcends time and place.
Last edited by HöfnerJ at Nov 23, 2009,
I love The Beach Boys, I too also had the amazing opportunity to see Brian in concert. Heroes And Villians is a very dark song really

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.