Ok, So I'm buying first guitar, and just in case I don't like guitar, I might buy a squier, in fact this one:

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Squier_Affinity_Stratocaster.html

My preffered style of music is rock/metal and little punk, but can Squiers get that tone?

(Also if it helps I'm going to get a Roland Mini cube amp)

Also, what is the difference between a fat strat and a normal strat?

Oh yeah, and I have heard that if you have a tremelo system it is hard to tune/keep your guitar in tune. is it?

Also please don't post your reccomendations!
Fat strats have a humbucker on the bridge. It can help you thicken up your tone naturally, so you don't depend that much on amp channels/stompboxes.
I would suggets though, get something with fixed bridges, because it wil have somewhat better sustain.
Get the Roland Mini Cube amp and it won't matter what kind of guitar you have. It's useless to be faffing around with fancy notions of "tone" etc if you're just starting off. Pretty much any guitar will be alright, but you'll want a decent distortion, which is something the mini cube does very well.

So yeah, go for it. Oh and tuning your guitar is all part of the fun, and tremolo systems are excellent to have.
a squier will not achieve metal tone. ever. you'll need a humbucker or a great amp to make it sound right, and the squier/roland combo you have listed can't get metal.
...You mean microcube?

And tremelos only go out of tune easier if you whammy. If you don't use it, don't worry about it too much. I have that same guitar, and although I desperately want a new one now, I guess it served its purpose in helping me know if I wanted to play... the answer was yes.

And strats in general are good for rock, but they generally don't do metal.
Quote by -Blue-
...You mean microcube?

And tremelos only go out of tune easier if you whammy. If you don't use it, don't worry about it too much. I have that same guitar, and although I desperately want a new one now, I guess it served its purpose in helping me know if I wanted to play... the answer was yes.

And strats in general are good for rock, but they generally don't do metal.

Would the fat strat achieve a more metal-ish sound?
Get a fat strat Squier. If you want a rock sound, a bridge humbucker is the best possible pickup to fet a crunchy, crisp rock tone.

I know everyone says you shouldn't worry about tone and all that yet, but they both cost the same and this guitar will suit you better, so go ahead and go for it. I've played a normal start Squier and you can't get a good crunchy tone no matter what you do, so just go ahead and get the fat strat.

The Microcube is also a great beginner amp, so you're good with that. Don't forget to get picks, perhaps a spare pack of strings, and a cable if the guitar/amp doesn't come with one.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Get a cheapo acoustic guitar first! Learn good technique, save your money up, and get a used, mid-quality Ibanez. Ibanez guitars get excellent metal tone and if you can be patient and afford it, get one with a floating tremolo. This will allow you to dive really low and also pull up on the bar, making it higher pitched. The ones Ibanez make have a locking nut which will keep the strings in tune.
cheers
stephen
Quote by steveCrowley
Get a cheapo acoustic guitar first! Learn good technique, save your money up, and get a used, mid-quality Ibanez. Ibanez guitars get excellent metal tone and if you can be patient and afford it, get one with a floating tremolo. This will allow you to dive really low and also pull up on the bar, making it higher pitched. The ones Ibanez make have a locking nut which will keep the strings in tune.
cheers
stephen

Getting a cheapo acoustic is NOT neccesary to learning guitar. You can learn just fine and save some money if you get a cheap electric setup. And he shouldn't be getting a midrange guitar yet. A Squier is fine for now.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401