hey guys, having trouble with up strumming chords. Should I be up strumming with the tip of my index finger or the side of my index finger? Its really difficult to strum with the tip of my index finger pointing at the strings cause my index finger is closer to the strings than the side of my thumb. I always end up with too much pick on the upstrum.

so I guess the question is, should I up strum as if i'm pointing at the strings with my index finger?

also when holding a pick what is the reasoning for having the index finger stick out a little out of the thumb?

thanks
First off, I think you should always do what is comfortable. That being said, I play with my index finger sort of curved with the pick between my thumb and the left side of my index finger. And I think what you are talking about in your second question is using your fingers for pinch harmonics which is something you shouldn't tackle til a bit later
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
I think the best advice for holding a pick, is to just hold it as it feels natural to you.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
hold it as comfortable.

and if you are hearing too much stringy-ness on the upstroke,

take the engle you hold the pick for a downstroke
and mirror it, if that makes sense, for the upstroke.
I usually hold the pick at an angle that makes the index finger point more towards the string compared to when picking strings (where my index finger points more backwards towards the bridge). Also try and loosen your grip when strumming.
thanks guys I think i'm starting to understand.

Also are you guys pinching the pick when you hold the pick? or just wedging it between the fingers
Quote by davez82
thanks guys I think i'm starting to understand.

Also are you guys pinching the pick when you hold the pick? or just wedging it between the fingers

I dont realy think how tight you hold the pick matters, I hold it loosely for chords/rhythm, and tight for lead stuff. But I suck, dont listen to me.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.