I've been playing guitar for 4 or 5 years, and while just starting, I was making progress much faster than any of my friends that started at similar times, so I felt like I was doing really good. I feel like I'm in a rut now though, and I just can't get anywhere. I play a lot of blues recently, and quite a bit of metal. I just don't know where to go from here, and whenever I try to practice I just end up playing through songs I know instead of... well... I guess that's the problem, I really don't know what I should be doing... can anyone give me a bit of direction?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Lay down a simple chord progression and solo over it, learn a variety of scales. That's always fun to do, it helps your technique and composing.
get together with some friends and jam! figure out cool licks and come up with your own. Get together with guitarists who play different genres and share licks and techniques.
all ways challenge yourself don't play things you know, i'm sure there are many things you haven't learned yet, most importantly being stuck in these ruts is what makes us better, push forward and you'll be ok and a better player, have you looked at malmsteen's playing? maybe it's time to set the bar higher, why not try making your own solos to practice or your own chord progressions, write them out really hard and get good, and then make new ones.
mmm... have you listened to progresive music?
I listen to progresive rock and metal, that style is really wide and includes lots of fun things to play on guitar
maybe you could try dream theater, if you haven't
also, like tom hatton said, you can start to learn scales and improvise over chords or riffs you make.
and finally, try to compose songs if you didn't, it gets awesome after you find your style =)
Quote by Raven_Flight
mmm... have you listened to progresive music?
I listen to progresive rock and metal, that style is really wide and includes lots of fun things to play on guitar
maybe you could try dream theater, if you haven't
also, like tom hatton said, you can start to learn scales and improvise over chords or riffs you make.
and finally, try to compose songs if you didn't, it gets awesome after you find your style =)

Well said, check out Dream Theater - Porcupine Tree - Rush - Tool, all good bands to expand the senses and they may give you ideas to get out of your rut.
Thanks a lot, lots of helpful suggestions. I'll see where that takes me.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Learn how to practice.

Everybody starts with a "grace period". You'll make good progress until you've
reached a limit imposed by your natural ability. Usually a few years. From there on,
unless you do something about your practice methods, you'll stay pretty much
where you are.

Just search for "stuck in a rut" or "what do I do now?" or similar. You'll find lots of
company.
join a band, if your bored that sounds like the edeal thing to do
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC