ive narrowed down my amp choices to the orange rockerverb series

im just curious about a few things

one of them being the difference in tubes in the 100 and 50 heads

the 50 uses 6v6 tubes and the 100 uses el34's

is it that el34s are just louder or is there a difference in tone between the two?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I believe the el34 is a much aggressive tube. Much like a Marshall obviously, the 6v6 is like a baby version of the 6l6, it is warm/bright.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
anyone else?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by sloppyjoe109
I believe the el34 is a much aggressive tube. Much like a Marshall obviously, the 6v6 is like a baby version of the 6l6, it is warm/bright.

Pretty much, but I'd think the circuits in those amps would make them sound alike.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
in my attempt to mix one thread into another :::::::::::::::::::

how does the orange rockerverb compare to the jcm 800?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by timzee117
in my attempt to mix one thread into another :::::::::::::::::::

how does the orange rockerverb compare to the jcm 800?

I think it's got a smoother OD. The dual channels is an obvious difference from JCM800 2203. The 2205 has two channels, I think, though...

BTW, EL34's aren't louder, it's that putting 4 of them together nets more wattage than 6V6's. 50 watts isn't really quieter than 100 Watts, though. They're both loud as ****.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 16, 2008,
i mean in terms of tone

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by papersun87
*cough* See my post . . .

i already saw that and acknowledged it

but i was just saying that i dont want people telling me that it has a second channel or its covered in orange tolex etc

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote by sloppyjoe109

umm, how can a 6v6 be both warm and bright?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
new question,

after researching my original question ihave concluded that 6v6 give it a more american voicing and the el34's give it a british voicing

so for the british voicing shouyld i get the rockerverb 100 with el34's as opposed to the 50 with 6v6s?

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

The Rockerverb 50/100 has enough gain to play modern metal.

The JCM800 does not.

If you want a JCM800 sound, I'd suggest you get something like a Laney GH50L though. Has more gain on tap, but very JCM800-ish.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Haha. I haven't tried the Rockverb 100, didn't know there was one, actually...But 6V6's are very aggressive when distorted. It really shows on the Rockerverb. Lots of aggressive bite and midrange, but still a very smooth and pleasing overdrive.

Quote by timzee117
new question,

after researching my original question ihave concluded that 6v6 give it a more american voicing and the el34's give it a british voicing

so for the british voicing shouyld i get the rockerverb 100 with el34's as opposed to the 50 with 6v6s?

Wrong-o. The Rockerverb 50 is DEFINITELY undeniably British sounding. It's easy to get great AC/DC and Zep tones from it.
there is alot more to how an amp is voiced than its tubes. the circuit itself defines its voicing.
i could stick some EL34s in my fenders if i really wanted to, it would still sound pretty american.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by sloppyjoe109

From what I gather, the 6V6 is actually more like a smaller version of the EL34. The EL34 is more gritty when over-driven where as the 6V6 is creamy. Both are agressive tubes!

As someone has already mentioned... the amp circuitry is more responsible for the voicing of the amp than tubes. The Rockerverb 50 is powered by 6V6's but it is notorious for being dark and compressed. This isn't a bad thing if the tone is what you are after... I love it!

Also, many people debate this fact (for whatever reason)... but the Rockerverb 50 can actually be powered by 2 EL34's if biased correctly. Ade Emsley went with the 6V6 tubes to give the 50 a character of its own (apart from its bigger brother... the 100)... but if you want to use the EL34's you can... but the Rockerverb 100 can use 4 different tube types.

The Rockerverbs will not sound like the JCM800 but they are more versatile IMHO.
Quote by chea_man
umm, how can a 6v6 be both warm and bright?

Warm and bright are not opposites.

Warm and Cold.

Bright and Dark.

I wouldn't say the Rockerverb 100 is a good choice for modern metal, Matrix. My mate used one at high volume with the gain dimed and something about the voicing just didn't fit with most modern metal stuff (that's what he plays).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Warm and bright are not opposites.

Warm and Cold.

Bright and Dark.

I wouldn't say the Rockerverb 100 is a good choice for modern metal, Matrix. My mate used one at high volume with the gain dimed and something about the voicing just didn't fit with most modern metal stuff (that's what he plays).

when it comes to describing timbre they are. at least thats how ive always known it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by timi_hendrix

I agree with you about modern metal.
But a lot of bands are using the Rockerverb for hardcore, metalcore, and southern metal these days.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I agree with you about modern metal.
But a lot of bands are using the Rockerverb for hardcore, metalcore, and southern metal these days.

not to hijack the thread, but whats southern metal?
it sounds like somthing i would dig, but ive never heard of it.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
^For some reason it makes me think pantera, but I dunno. I'd be interested in some bands that play southern metal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by timi_hendrix

Wasn't saying I'd use one for modern metal tones, but just saying that it certainly has enough gain to do so.

My friends in Charybdis recorded their latest EP with anOrange Rockerverb 50 and 100 and they're a Death Metal band
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well of EL34s being "louder" than 6V6s the answer is yes! 6V6 is a low output tube, putting out roughly 10-15W in Class A/B as in the Rockerverb 50, while the EL34 puts out roughly 25W. The 6V6 was mostly used in small American combos (British ones often used EL84s), n most small wattage Fenders you will find 6V6s, like the Princeton, Champs and Deluxe. The 6V6 is as said based of the 6L6, with a "smooth" tone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009