I'm looking to buy an acoustic bass. I dont have a specifique one that i'm looking at, but the fender GB-41SCE. I know fender makes great electic basses but I haven't heard great things about their acoustic range.

I'm just wondering if this is a good bass, and if anyone has suggestions for any other great ones. I would really prefer a solid top or all solid wood one.
Olympia OB3CE is a great bass that is the budget bass version of the best of the acoustic offerings, the Tacoma Thunderchief.

The issue with most acoustics, including Fenders is that the sound can be less than ideal or too quiet to really compete with its acoustic guitar brethren. The Olympia however has the sound and volume of the more expensive alternative and is a good option for those who can't fork over the 1000 USD + for the Tacoma.
Greg Bennett and Michael Kelly make some really good ones if you're looking for tone, but like most they're not very loud...
Nope, no sig here.
ahk thanks alot. But do you have any specific ones that I should really consider, because I dont really know alot of brands, as well as any specs that are desireable for an great acoustic bass?
I think you would be better off saving up your money and buying an upright. Acoustic basses in general have pretty bad tone and are basically useless. The only reason you would get one is if you are playing a gig where playing a electric bass is unacceptable. Tell us the reason you want one and then we might be able to tell you what you need.
i got a tanglewood acoustic bass a few months ago and its deadly, check em out
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by CollinPlaysBass
I think you would be better off saving up your money and buying an upright. Acoustic basses in general have pretty bad tone and are basically useless. The only reason you would get one is if you are playing a gig where playing a electric bass is unacceptable. Tell us the reason you want one and then we might be able to tell you what you need.

well its beacuz i often jam acoustic with my friends and i dont want to lug around my bass and an amp to..or even when im just playing alone, and also i just really like acoustics
I'm also interested in getting an acoustic.....I played a few at GC and they were loud enough for me.....My friend and I know both parts to the songs we play but I usually take bass and I already have an acoustic guitar....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by anarkee
Olympia OB3CE is a great bass that is the budget bass version of the best of the acoustic offerings, the Tacoma Thunderchief.

The issue with most acoustics, including Fenders is that the sound can be less than ideal or too quiet to really compete with its acoustic guitar brethren. The Olympia however has the sound and volume of the more expensive alternative and is a good option for those who can't fork over the 1000 USD + for the Tacoma.

Agreed. The only worthwhile acoustic bass I've found in my travels and the only acoustic bass I will bother to own is a Tacoma Thunderchief. The Olympia is a great alternative for a fraction of the price, and the feel (besides the satin finish) is pretty similar to the Tacoma, albeit a touch less "finished". The Fishman preamp is also a nice bonus for the price.

The only drawback is the love-it-or-hate-it design. The unique soundhole is what gives this bass its sound and projection, but it may not appeal to you.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Jul 16, 2008,
Would growing your finger nails or playing with a pick help with volume for acoustics?
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

^ not to the point of it helping. An acoustic guitar will always out power a standard designed acoustic bass guitar.

Quote by graybass_20x6
Agreed. The only worthwhile acoustic bass I've found in my travels and the only acoustic bass I will bother to own is a Tacoma Thunderchief. The Olympia is a great alternative for a fraction of the price, and the feel (besides the satin finish) is pretty similar to the Tacoma, albeit a touch less "finished". The Fishman preamp is also a nice bonus for the price.

The only drawback is the love-it-or-hate-it design. The unique soundhole is what gives this bass its sound and projection, but it may not appeal to you.

Once you play it, you'll love it. I don't know how the soundhole design works, but its the reason it can be heard over 2 acoustic guitars. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
Once you play it, you'll love it. I don't know how the soundhole design works, but its the reason it can be heard over 2 acoustic guitars. lol

I do love my Tacoma. It's an awesome compliment to acoustic jams, since I dont really have to haul an amp.

I've just heard people tell me it's "weird looking", "how can that thing make noise?"

That's when you show them.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by UtBDan

I'm starting believe that I find functionality and well-thought-out design actually attractive.

But yes, the OB3CE is the best value for the money, and IMO the only game in town, but it's still a far cry from the real deal. It doesn't quite have the Thundercheif volume, but it does have it's roundness in tone. I've played some ABG's at a few hundred above the OB3CE price that are actually louder, but they have a much, MUCH thinner, stringier tone with no low end, and have uneven string volumes.

In my experience, ABGs REQUIRE a pick and string gauge has a significant effect on volume. Get the thickest you can. I'm actually using heavy-gauge flats.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thanks everyone for the help. Also what do yo guys think about takamine or alvarez acoustic basses? and are there any specs that i should look for to get a great acoustic bass?...like the type of wood, or even which body type is the best?

please let me know