alright bass junkies. its time for me to acquire a new amp. now while searching around i stumbled upon the fact that most bass players have a nice svt 8x10 cab. so id like one of them but its the head im having trouble choosing. the one im lookin at is an ashdown mag 600h because its cheap, i hear good things about MAGs and its loud.

suggestions?
opinions?

id prefer to spend less than 1800 if possible but if not watever. though i am pretty set on that svt cab...
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
1800 of what currency?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
What are you playing?
1800 what?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Wouldn't 600 watts be a little low for an Ampeg 810?
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by jimmygoff
600 watts seems low for an ampeg 810

+1
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
save your pennies and buy something better, thats a great cab and all, but if the head is crap, what good is it. i just got the peavey vb2, and i must say, it is the most kick-azz thing i have ever heard, 225 watt all tube makes my 6 10's friggin' pound
If you have $1,800 USD for the head, go with an Ampeg SVT-CL. It's the perfect compliment to that cab, not to mention, my current rig
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I think he means 1800 for the whole lot.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
I think he means 1800 for the whole lot.

Oh, I'm sorry. So that leaves $800 for the head. Wait for an edit, I'll go look real quick.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Traynor YBA-2
Peavey VB-2
Used Ampeg V-4
Used Sunn 200s
Used SVT 2 non-pro (or pro i guess)
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Why not get a head thats about $1000 and a cab thats about $800? You'll get the best of both worlds pretty much...
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
if ur in america look at carvin amps, they are dirt cheap and damn powerfull.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Tour-VB2-Tube-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=481291

If you can save up $100 more, I suggest this. 225 watts all-tube should be enough to get some air moving.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Carvin amps deliver in the price and sound quality department. I finally visited their shop in Sacto, Ca and their stuff is damn nice for the price.

The only concern is that a few of the guitarists I know who have owned Carvin or currently own Carvin amps expressed concerns about the long term abuse Carvin equipment can withstand in serious gigging situations (i.e. hauling around in trucks, vans, cars). Anyone who owns their bass amps want to comment here? I'd be interested in a bassists perspective...
Quote by anarkee
Carvin amps deliver in the price and sound quality department. I finally visited their shop in Sacto, Ca and their stuff is damn nice for the price.

The only concern is that a few of the guitarists I know who have owned Carvin or currently own Carvin amps expressed concerns about the long term abuse Carvin equipment can withstand in serious gigging situations (i.e. hauling around in trucks, vans, cars). Anyone who owns their bass amps want to comment here? I'd be interested in a bassists perspective...

How did you like their BR stuff? Cause the heads are a major contender for my next amp.
Why do you want an 810? MAGs are great, but big, heavy cabs are just big and heavy and awkward.
agreed, I'd much rather have a 2-part stack...410 and a 15 or 18.

I second with the Carvin rig...

Mine seems to be built pretty solidly, but the cabs' corners are unprotected and the mounts where the casters go look kind of weak...haven't used casters though so I can't really comment on that.

Where's Fitz?
Nope, no sig here.
well just get a carvin head if the cabs looks weak. the amp heads looks pretty sweet on their web site. it sucks to be in england, have to pay twice as much for gear
Quote by IndianRockStar
How did you like their BR stuff? Cause the heads are a major contender for my next amp.

I tried a SBR1018 full stack and the BX600 head (with one of their cabs) and the sound was really, really good. I only had about 45 minutes to play, but was impressed with the sound, power and functionality. Definitely as nice as some of the Ashdowns I've played through.
Quote by anarkee
I tried a SBR1018 full stack and the BX600 head (with one of their cabs) and the sound was really, really good. I only had about 45 minutes to play, but was impressed with the sound, power and functionality. Definitely as nice as some of the Ashdowns I've played through.

as good as ashdowns? which ones? GASing over the ABM series lol
Quote by jb_reborn

I've recently played through the Ashdown MAG 600H Bass Amp Head and a ABM 500 EVO II. It was definitely better sounding (to my ears that the MAG) and close in quality to the ABM 500 EVO II, though given my choice, I'd go for the ABM 500 EVO II myself.

But in the short time I played it, it was pretty versatile. I don't know if I'd choose it for myself. ( Though I must admit I'm a sucker for classic English amp sounds like the Trace and the Ashdowns and just love a good high end Ampeg)

Again my big concern with Carvins is the report that they don't take being banged about too well. I'd really like a bass players feedback on that one.
Quote by jb_reborn

I have a rackmounted ABM head with 1x15 cab, it's awesome.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Honestly, my BX600/BR410 rig seems like it would hold up fine to gigging...I haven't had it long enough to find out, really, but apart from the lack of corner protectors on the cab(the head has steel ones), it all seems pretty solid.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Your41Plague12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Tour-VB2-Tube-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=481291

If you can save up $100 more, I suggest this. 225 watts all-tube should be enough to get some air moving.

I know this is a bit off topic, but you guys across the pond have got it much better than here in the UK. That VB-2 is going for about $900, so that's about £450. Over here in the UK their being sold for £1000, about $2000!
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
I know this is a bit off topic, but you guys across the pond have got it much better than here in the UK. That VB-2 is going for about $900, so that's about £450. Over here in the UK their being sold for £1000, about $2000!

Second that. how much would it be if we go to america buy it there and then post it all back here?
Do you mean buy it in America and ship it back?

edit: I misread the post. If the head is about $900, and I guess the shipping would be about £50-£100, maybe £150. So it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by jimmygoff
600 watts seems low for an ampeg 810

I'm guessing you've never played on an 8x10. This is a completely sufficient amount.

Quote by ScottB.
+1

I'm gonna guess you've never played on an 8x10 either.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
I'm guessing you've never played on an 8x10. This is a completely sufficient amount.

I'm gonna guess you've never played on an 8x10 either.

I'm with you, Dan. I'm running an SVT Classic through my 8x10, and 300 watts is more than sufficient. Yes, it may be all-tube, but that's another topic; 300 watts are 300 watts. It's definitely driving the speakers hard enough. Before I got the SVT I was running my Backline 600 (R.I.P.) through it, and it was doing just fine.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

my advice is look into a used Ampeg 8x10. i got mine for $550 and there is NOtHING WRONG WITH IT!! and i have seen them lower.

AMPEG cabs are built to last. so you dont have to worry about it really.

that saves you about $400 to uprade the head to basicly whatever you want. for 1800 you could get a new SVT4 pro and a used ampeg 8x10. or you can go for the SVT 3 pro.

i stongly disagree with the coment "600 watts is too low for t he 8x10" vust by the fact that it is an 8x10 any amount of power will be louder thru the 8x10 because there is 8 speakers colectively produceing it.
ive ran the SVT 3 pro (450 watts) into the 8x10 and it was still ****ing loud enough for me to have to turn the volume to at least halfway so i know you could definently do a gig with that setup.

as far as the MAG amp goes. try before you buy! i had my heart set on a Heartke amp because i heard good things then i played on one and decided it was definently not what the hype is.

my advice is: look for a used 8x10 find the best deal you can and buy it then sense you made up your mind. dureing this time you are spending looking around for the cab you can also be trying out heads to get a feel for what you want.

my amp recomendations for you are:

AMPEG B4R
AMPEG SVT4 PRO
AMPEG SVT3 PRO
GK 1001RBII
GK 2001RB
FENDER TB1200 PRO
FENDER 800 PRO
GENZ BENZ GBE 750
GENZ BENZ GBE 1200

Those are just to name a few. if you take anything out of this, try before you buy! and good luck any questions feel free to ask
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by fleajr_1412
Do you mean buy it in America and ship it back?

edit: I misread the post. If the head is about $900, and I guess the shipping would be about £50-£100, maybe £150. So it would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I was recently in America and was considering bringing a head back with me. The only drawback is the different electricity. In America everything is 110v and irelaind/UK is 220v(i think). The numbers may be wrong but the idea is right. Its what stopped me from bringing home the SWEETEST Trace Elliot head a few weeks back!
Quote by jimmy_neutron
I was recently in America and was considering bringing a head back with me. The only drawback is the different electricity. In America everything is 110v and irelaind/UK is 220v(i think). The numbers may be wrong but the idea is right. Its what stopped me from bringing home the SWEETEST Trace Elliot head a few weeks back!

could take it down to ur local guitar shop, they should be able to set it up for u to play where ever u are.

how much would it be to ship a 4x10 or 8x10 from america to uk?
Hrrrrm this seems to have gotten a bit off topic......
but new information. and not good info. Apparently my budget is now only $1100 CAN max because my mother tells me i have to save some money for something called "school"
So in this case i was thinking of an Ashdown MAG 600h with a Deep Bass 410 and a deep bass 1x15. i can get it only for 800 or so, so im thinking thats the way to go.

Also i live in a crappy small city that doesn't have carvins as far as i know of.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Tatersalad1080
Hrrrrm this seems to have gotten a bit off topic......
but new information. and not good info. Apparently my budget is now only $1100 CAN max because my mother tells me i have to save some money for something called "school"
So in this case i was thinking of an Ashdown MAG 600h with a Deep Bass 410 and a deep bass 1x15. i can get it only for 800 or so, so im thinking thats the way to go.

Also i live in a crappy small city that doesn't have carvins as far as i know of.

You have to order Carvin factory direct, hence the low price. They cut out the middle man.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
You have to order Carvin factory direct, hence the low price. They cut out the middle man.

thanks i just checked their site. The BR615 sounds pretty good. 400 watts for only like 560 and its got a compressor . Any suggestions on the amps there? For the record i play mostly rock and reggae style bass with a little funk now and then.
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Gear:
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah