Hey do you have to pay taxes on guitars? like if you buy them from musicians friend, guitar center, or Sam Ash. I live in texas, and no, i'm not a cowboy or farmboy or whatever that you typically think of when you hear the word texas.

I just want to be prepared so that nothing like this happens:

me -> awesome i finally saved enough

storeperson -> your total is (insert large amount of money here that is alot more that what you expected to pay)

me -> wait somethings not right it was $600

storeperson -> well thats without local, state, and federal taxes. Plus (insert even more fees here)

me -> start crying
Yup, they're taxed like anything else unless you buy them online from somewhere headquartered outside of your state.
Tax is only put on for orders to Indiana, Utah, Missouri and Washington state (by MF, that is).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 15, 2008,
Ya, that's why I like Musiciansfriend more than GC, because I don't get charged tax because I live in Cali, and if my order is large enough, which is often the case buying guitar gear, shipping is free too.

Although buying big amps or stacks is the exception. I'm not really sure about the math, but there is an added cost to the shipping because it is so heavy, so that may or may not come out equal to tax, depends on how much it is...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Yup, they're taxed like anything else unless you buy them online from somewhere headquartered outside of your state.

so i should buy it online not in person, is what your saying

wait guitar center and sam ash head quarters are in california
will i get taxed if i buy the guitar in san antonio?

im confused
I'm pretty sure the only thing you don't get taxed on in Canada is non-processed foods... so.
I guess you wouldn't get taxed on orders from Musiciansfriend here either, or any other site similar.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by lemon_lime123

im confused

I don't know the laws word for word, but basically you're always going to be taxed if you buy it in the store. Off websites, it's usually only where the site is headquartered.
so even though buying it in person would be better if i needed it right now, its worth the wait to get it online, tax (and hopefully 100% Uncle Sam) free
Quote by lemon_lime123

im confused

GC collects sales tax on all orders, except when they are made in a few states like NH (and no, Texas isn't one of them).

Mf only collects it on orders to the states i listed.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
dunno if you lot have the same thing, but in england we pay tax to and if we buy sumin from outside the uk on the net (and possibly in person,,,i dunno) its still taaxed, the tax is just added wen it reaches a uk post office,,,,might wanna check that your state doesnt add tax wen it arrives in your region
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC