Page 1 of 2
First of all the only reason I didn't restring it myself was because I was going up from 9's to 11's. I've always re stringed my own guitar with 9's but now since I'm playing differently I've decided to try 11 gauge strings. My friend told me that if I was going up in gauge that it would be better that I give it to a shop to restring it for me just so that I don't make any mistakes and that I might need to adjust the bridge due to bigger strings. I said sure why not since I didn't really know how that worked. I gave it to

my local music shop I picked out some D'Addario exl 11 gauge strings since thats the brand I usually get. The tech wasn't there and I wrote down on the slip attached to my guitar if he could please tune it into drop b. I get a call today and they told me that it was ready I said i'd be down in a few minutes. I asked how much it was going to be and the guy tells me one hundred and four dollars. I didn't know they could charge so much I only asked for a restringing. I think i'm getting charged way too much money. Or is this the average price. But it still seems too much to me.
If you're paying to have someone else restring your guitar, you're paying too much.

It's not that hard, do it yourself!
way too much but sounds like they have set up the guitar

Learn to restring yourself
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

What the hell? Kick the guy in the balls for even suggesting you pay that much!
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Thats Mad, they prbs thought u wanted a set-up so by the looks of things thats what you got.
I would not pay it. I got my strings changed for 10 bucks...
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I only asked for a restringing. I guess I better learn how to restring for all gauges because i'm not paying that much money.
Quote by Retrobution
...and the guy tells me one hundred and four dollars...

holy christ..

when i was working at a music shop, we charged for the cost of strings (obviously), 10$ for restring.. and if they wanted a set-up, then $15 for that.. bringing it to a whooping total of roughly $30-$35 depending on the strings they bought..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Dude, that is a crazy price. Unless he had to do something else with it..... Ask him why it was so much?
1) You HAVE TO get your money back and find out why he charged you
2) You SHOULD know how to re-string your guitar
3) You MUST know how to tune it!
thats a stuupid amount of money

i found a really cheap set of strings in a run down stall in sweden for about £4

i restrung my floyd rose using some random youtube tutorial

its not hard
My gear is a cliche

Epi Les Paul

Marshall 100w

Dunlop Crybaby

one day, i will have a dime distortion.
First, did you ask what all the cost was for... In other words did you ask what they had done to the guitar...and ask for a detailed bill stating what every penny was for....

Also, from the sound of it you still didn't get the guitar.... If you did and you just went in and paid the price and walked out then I don't know what to say...

I am sure that they will tell you they had to do something to the truss rod, etc....but make them tell you exactly what every cent was for...I would especially like to see what they charged for labor and how long they stated it took to do whatever they did ...
he set-up your guitar. When you change string gauges the tech needs to set up your guitar. Or else you will have bad intonation.

But set-ups usually only cost $40 where I live.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I haven't payed for it it's way too much money and i'm not going into the shop until later to find out exactly why i'm being charged so much money.
Ya duuuude be sure to find out exactly what they're charging you for, because that's ridiculous.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

forgive me if im being dim and this question has already been answered

what guitar do you have ?
what trem and bridge etc ?
My gear is a cliche

Epi Les Paul

Marshall 100w

Dunlop Crybaby

one day, i will have a dime distortion.
Yah make sure they explain everything really well. They must have like swapped pcik ups or something for it to be that expensive.

Actually, I paid 110 for my guitar to get: restrung, set up and I got them to put in a EMG 81 and kept my 2 passive picks ups in (I have a 3 humbucker Les Paul), which is almost impossible to find a schematic for...

Also this was done by a p[rofessional from out of town and he didn a PHENOMENAL job with the electronics.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
40 dollars at the most, with me i had my 6'er re strung with 13's so they had to adjust the bridge saddles and widen the nut as well as **** around with the truss rod and it was still only 40.
i agree with learning to do it yourself, seriously its one of the first things i did as soon as i got my first guitar, i practiced so much **** on it thats why its just a horrible mess now, changed necks tuners strings adjusted this an that, new pickups

but now i know how to do all that for myself so i only pay the 6/7 bucks for new strings..
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Dude, that's restringing and a hand job. Outrageous.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Quote by EdawMail

Read the post ffs. The TS took it to the tech because he was restringing from 9's to 11's.

And yeah, last time I did it (changing from 10's to 11's) it only cost me 17,5 euros (roughly 21 bucks) for service and strings.
Last edited by Whiskky at Jul 15, 2008,
104 dollars !! what the ****. Did they wrap it in gold as well ?!
The strings are probably made out of people, that's why it's so much.

Seriously, that's ridiculous, even if they set it up, too.
Yah, you definitely got raped, and they didn't even give you a reach around.

So have you talked to them about it yet?
Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
If you're paying to have someone else restring your guitar, you're paying too much.

It's not that hard, do it yourself!

he was stepping up from 9s to 11s, i always believed it was recommended to get a setup adjustment if switching guages, especially from 9s to 11s(Truss Rod adjustments etc). in that case he's better off taking it to a tech to have it adjusted, which im sure that is what he had to do. my les paul came with 10s, and i put 11s on it and had to get it resetup because it simply would not stay in tune no matter how much i stretched the strings.

possible some of that 100 was adjusting the trust rod, but even then, heck my local tech only charges 45 for a setup.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Quote by EdawMail

I THINK this guy is TRYING to get you to see the EMPHASIS on certain words in his POST.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
maybe you accidentally said a code word and your guitar will come back with a prostitute?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I have a feeling he just charged you that because he assumed you were a noob. That's an insane price.
Before I knew how to restring my guitar, I got a string change for about $6. Find out why he charged you that much, because charing that much for just replacing strings is outrageous. Unless your guitar morphed into a wildabeast while he was changing the strings and he needs the co-pay for his stitches, it shouldn't cost nearly that most.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
go down to the store grab your guitar and run like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by syyz1
I'm on my period, wearing no sort of protection, naked on a white chair

Quote by *Juno*
I put my balls inside the sound hole and strummed myself to ectasy

Quote by °☻°
I like it hairy, that way i can play welcome to the jungle while i have sex!
I wouldn't pay that for anything to be done to my guitar. Accually, I just learned how to do everything I need to on my own and I don't have to depend on other people to do it for me. I braught my guitar to a tech one time, and it was because I didn't learn how to change pickups yet and I wanted a Dimarzio SD in the neck of my Dean. The dude decided to give it a setup with I was okay with at the time, but when I got the guitar back the setup sucked ass. Learn to do all that stuff yourself, it'll be alot easier then paying somebody else, and you wont need to go to a tech again. That price is outrageous.

BTW, I got the pickup, string change and a setup for $110 I beleive.. and to me that is still alot more then what I'll ever pay again.

There are tons of lessons on how to do things yourself on youtube.
Page 1 of 2