Page 1 of 2
"He does not work he either plays watches television or sleeps and he literally sleeps under a rock."

Does this sentence make sense? If so, how would you properly punctuate this sentence?
"He does not work, he either plays, watches television, or sleeps, and he literally sleeps under a rock."

Even that doesn't look quite right to me, but it's the best I could do without changing the actual sentence.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by hug a llama
"He does not work; he either plays, watches television, or sleeps, and he literally sleeps under a rock."

That, maybe?

Or maybe this.

Quote by hug a llama
"He does not work, he either: plays, watches television, or sleeps; and he literally sleeps under a rock."

No idea. I missed the lessons on colons and semicolons, because I was at home playing spyro.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I believe it would also end as 'Literally, he sleeps under a rock'

Tho I am regularly wrong.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
"He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps, and he literally sleeps under a rock."
"He does not work` he either plays- watches television+ or sleeps; and he literally sleeps under a rock."

I no Engrish vary well gaize

C'mon man, this si the pit. Did you not expect something like this?
Quote by hug a llama
"He does not work he either plays watches television or sleeps and he literally sleeps under a rock."

Does this sentence make sense? If so, how would you properly punctuate this sentence?

"He does not work; he either plays television or sleeps, and he literally lives under a rock."

Semicolon, bitches.
Quote by Kumanji
"He does not work: he either plays, watches television or sleeps; he literally sleeps under a rock"

Sounds good, but I'd go for:

"He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps; he literally sleeps under a rock."
"He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps. He literally sleeps under a rock."
He doesn't work. He either plays, watches television, or sleeps, literally under a rock.

The sleep part dsnt make sense to me atm but i don't know the context
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by Kumanji
"He does not work: he either plays, watches television or sleeps; he literally sleeps under a rock"

This is correct
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by hug a llama

He does not work, instead, he plays, watches television and sleeps; he literally sleeps under a rock.

Semi colons ftw.

or

He does not work, he either: plays; watches television, or sleeps - he literally sleeps under a rock.

Punctuation ftw
"He does not work; he either plays, watches television, or sleeps, and he literally sleeps under a rock."
I am almost positive about this.

edit: There's a semicolon after work because the preceding statement is a complete sentence.
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
your not meant to have anything like a comma, full stop etc before the word "and"
so Hdap101 seems best
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Quote by hug a llama

He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps. And he litterally sleeps under a rock. Or something like that (I have't look at the replies :O)
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I rather thought the idea was to maintain it in one sentence?! xD Previous multi-sentence suggestions seem way better and flow much more smoothly than my gargantuan and arcane construction.
Perhaps:
"He does not work, he either plays, watches television, or sleeps; and he literally sleeps under a rock."

?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by rabidguitarist

No idea. I missed the lessons on colons and semicolons, because I was at home playing spyro.

Those dragons wern't going to free themselves tho, were they?
Quote by Jaymz_515
Perhaps:
"He does not work, he either plays, watches television, or sleeps; and he literally sleeps under a rock."

?

nah, I think the use of colons is necessary for this sentence. Your use of the semi colon isn't correct, it should say "or sleeps: he literally...". No need for the "and"

Quote by pHaKe
This is correct

No it isn't. He used a colon, which does not work. Needed to use a semicolon.
As one sentence?

"He does not work; he either plays, watches television or sleeps and he literally sleeps under a rock.

The semi colon is there because 'He does not work' is a full sentence. You are starting a new sentence at 'he', but you obvioulsy want them linked and they are linked in subject matter so you can join them with a semi-colon to show that they are two seperate statements but that they are closely related. There's only one comma and it's after 'plays', because after 'television' there is an 'or' which means you don't need another comma. You don't put a comma before the 'and' beacuse it's a conjuntion.

But there's no real desperate need for a semi-colon so two sentences is better.

"He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps and he literally sleeps under a rock.

EDIT: Lol, why is everyone ramming a million unnecesary bits of punctuation into this sentence? lol
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 15, 2008,
"He does not work; he either plays with himself or the television or sleeps, and he literally lives under a rock."
Quote by thegreenmile
your not meant to have anything like a comma, full stop etc before the word "and"
so Hdap101 seems best

Wrong. A comma before an "AND" is known as an Oxford, Serial or Harvard comma.
Quote by Kumanji

No, that doesn't work, I don't think. It's a bit choppy anyway.

I'd go with:

He does not work. He either plays, watches television, or sleeps; he literally sleeps under a rock.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
"He does not work. He either plays, watches television or sleeps under a rock - literally"
erowid has your answers
Quote by Douglas Furs
Wrong. A comma before an "AND" is known as an Oxford, Serial or Harvard comma.

Wether you want to use it or not is really your choice but I find it muddles up the sentence needlessly. You don't need to put it in at all, so why bother? It's mostly an American thing, I think.

EDIT: I should add, I think the sentence is fairly clumbsy in and of its self without any of the pit's wise grammar-tampering
Last edited by meh! at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by meh!
eDIT: Lol, why is everyone ramming a million unnecesary bits of punctuation into this sentence? lol

I was htinking that... you don't need commas with 'or' or 'and' generally...
"He does not work; he either plays, watches television, or sleeps. He literally sleeps under a rock as well."

That's what I would do.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by hug a llama

Patrick from SpongeBob SquarePants?
He does not work. He either plays, watches television, or sleeps. He literally sleeps under a rock.

that last part is wierd, I just took out the and but I'm sure these is a better way to do it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I remember being told that you couldn't split the infinitive (in this case "He *literally* sleeps).... so tecnically, "literally" should be in a different place...
What the lovely John said

That, I think.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
"He doesn't work; he either plays, watches television or sleeps, literally under a rock."

Or maybe?

"He doesn't work; he either plays, watches television or sleeps under a rock, literally."
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by David w
I remember being told that you couldn't split the infinitive (in this case "He *literally* sleeps).... so tecnically, "literally" should be in a different place...

You're only not supposed to split the infinitive if you live in 19th century Britain It's not really a rule anymore, it's just a choice...
Page 1 of 2