hey i'm buying a Laney VC-30 112 amp very soon. But I need a pedal to get heavyer tones out of this. Not metal tones, but quite heavy, for like pop rock kinda tones

Ive been looking at the blackstar HT-drive - basicly an overdrive pedal, with a valve in it which looks really good. But will it be enough? Will the distortion version be better?

basicly, how heavy can a overdrive pedal go? Will I be better suited with a distortion pedal.

One last thing...Can you recommed any good VALVE pedals. For overdrive/distortion for me to check out. Price limit is £100.

thanks
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
An overdrive on the gain channel can add quite a bit of gain with the level dimed and the gain set to zero. It does wonders for tightening up the sound too. I'd imagine a basic Tubescreamer or one of the clones would work perfectly.

Edit: For example, If I have the gain on my mesa set to about 9:30 and turn on my grean screamer (level 10 gain 0) it sounds like I turned the gain up about a quarter turn or so and tightens the amp up quite a bit.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
An overdrive on the gain channel can add quite a bit of gain with the level dimed and the gain set to zero. It does wonders for tightening up the sound too. I'd imagine a basic Tubescreamer or one of the clones would work perfectly.

+1. my tubescreamer is never off.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
ehx - english muff'n

vox - over the top boost

both amazing for around 120 quid

the vox im particulry amazing as its basicly an ac30 drive stage in a valved pedal, same circuitry sounds just like an ac30

im getting one to get more grunt outta my fender hot rod deluxe