ok me, another guitarist, a drummer, a keyboard player and possibly a bassist are meeting in a couple of weeks. basically there are a few flaws i see in the lineup.

1. me and the other guitarist argue. not over who is better or anything, but over things like song choices, and he gets pissed off whenever i make a decision and says "its always your decision" when i chose wish i had an angel by nightwish over blooddrunk by bodom as a simple song to start off with. maybe im being unreasonable but the way i see it, every decision i have made has been the right decision, bar a couple.

2. the drummer is great, but he doesnt 'learn' songs. he listens to them and improvises his own thing, which generally isnt consistant and can get confusing. also he doesnt like playing slow or calmly its always BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM

any way you guys can help us work better as a team?
you can solve both of those by writing originals
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Blooddrunk, simple?

I say you boot the guitarist, if you guys have so much conflict the band will just fail anyway. Tell your drummer what your telling us.
Quote by Random3
ok me, another guitarist, a drummer, a keyboard player and possibly a bassist are meeting in a couple of weeks. basically there are a few flaws i see in the lineup.

1. me and the other guitarist argue. not over who is better or anything, but over things like song choices, and he gets pissed off whenever i make a decision and says "its always your decision" when i chose wish i had an angel by nightwish over blooddrunk by bodom as a simple song to start off with. maybe im being unreasonable but the way i see it, every decision i have made has been the right decision, bar a couple.

2. the drummer is great, but he doesnt 'learn' songs. he listens to them and improvises his own thing, which generally isnt consistant and can get confusing. also he doesnt like playing slow or calmly its always BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM

any way you guys can help us work better as a team?

1) Sounds like your being too autocratic,
Take a band vote on what songs you cover or just say that each member chooses a song...

2) That sounds like a normal drummer too me!?
nah im not even considering kicking him out, he is one of my best friends although admitadly we do argue. Its just he doesnt see (and neither does the drummer) that songs like raining blood, blooddrunk and duality are not songs that beginner bands should attempt, so when i simply say no (autocratic, i know) they say oh well you always decide etc... when i know if we had a group vote we would have picked something we cant play
Quote by Random3
nah im not even considering kicking him out, he is one of my best friends although admitadly we do argue. Its just he doesnt see (and neither does the drummer) that songs like raining blood, blooddrunk and duality are not songs that beginner bands should attempt, so when i simply say no (autocratic, i know) they say oh well you always decide etc... when i know if we had a group vote we would have picked something we cant play

The idea is to at least try them, if you can't get them right in the practice session, then you don't gig them until you do get them right, but by trying to play stuff you couldn't previously play, you improve as musicians and expand what you actualy can play.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The idea is to at least try them, if you can't get them right in the practice session, then you don't gig them until you do get them right, but by trying to play stuff you couldn't previously play, you improve as musicians and expand what you actualy can play.

all true, but the way i see it why take months learning blooddrunk when we can cover many more easier songs in half the time
a) All drummers are like that!
b) me and my bassist have the same issue as you and your guitarist,so our drummer suggested that we all pick a song,or do a vote on songs we want to do.You know,like write a list and pass it round the band,get them to put a cross beside the ones they definatley dont want to do and a tick beside the ones they wanna do.see theres 5 of you so itll work out at the fact that songs will have more crosses or ticks beside them.
do the songs that have more ticks thatn crosses.
sorted!
well it worked for us anyway
hope it works for you
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
in my band, i wrote down a list of songs we should learn (i tossed in song i KNEW the whole band likes) and gave it to each member, the members see which songs they really dont want to play and i think of something else, basically if you manage to toss in each member's favourite song, everyone is happy and you have to keep in mind that there WILL be times where all the band members want different songs, just live with it, make a compromise, who knows? maybe you will end up liking a song you didnt wanna play.
Quote by Random3
all true, but the way i see it why take months learning blooddrunk when we can cover many more easier songs in half the time

Because of the improvement it will bring you, strive to push yourself and expand your ability and you'll soon be able to learn many more songs that are just as hard as blooddrunk in half the time and the relatively simple stuff, similar to what you're doing now, will be even easier than they are now.
For instance, my own band is a Sabbath tribute, lots of Sabbath songs have complex sections and changes in them. When we first got together, we could just about jam out three Sabbath songs, it took us a few weeks just to work out a couple of songs, but as time progressed the songs seemed to become easier and easier until we were taking on their most complicated stuff and working them out at a rate of two or three songs per week. This was because we had pushed ourselves and improved as musicians.
If we hadn't have pushed ourselves, we'd still just be doing those first three songs.
If you limit yourself to just the easiest stuff, that's all you'll ever be able to play.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 17, 2008,
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Because of the improvement it will bring you, strive to push yourself and you'll be able to learn other many more songs as hard as blooddrunk in half the time.

Exactly. If you don't push yourselves how are you going to get better.