Hi, I am looking for a new bass that is a) lighter than mine
b) sounds better
c) easy to play
d)and costs between $100- $300

my current bass is a B.C. Rich Bronze warlock, and i play ska. (for those of you who dont know what ska is i'll give you a little equation. Reggae + punk + Horns = Ska).

For a while I have thought about getting a Squier standard P bass special, but im just not sure. If anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful. Thanks
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. For what you want, it's ideal.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
thanks! even for the ska part? what about the squier standard jazz bass, is there any difference? i'm not so into the color of the vintage...
Last edited by Urban1ninja at Jul 15, 2008,
Look at the Vintage Modified Precision Bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
There's a huge difference in build quality between standard and vintage modified. Vintage modified is the best Squier makes. I'd get that or the precision version. The jazz has a maple body, so it has extreme clarity to the tone, great if you can't stand very bassy tones that tend to get lost in the mix. The precision has more "thump" to it. Try both if you can.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
ok cool thanks. i made the mistake over ordering my last bass online without trying it out at the store. wont make that error again.
VM jazz is as good if not better than a MIM Fender, great value for money, and would sound great playing ska, as bass is well important in ska and the J pickups will give some great clarity...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
^why not?

he didn't know they sucked, he probably thought it'd be funny.

the VM will work for ska, either one. also try Ibanez, the GSR200 is what I have and it can do most genres very proficiently.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Slay 'Em
WHat the hell were you thinking getting a warlock for ska?

thats the point i wasnt. lol it was a big mistake ok. and i was more into punk when i bought it so there.
does the VM J-bass come in any different colors? also at my local guitar center the Fret-less version is cheaper. should i go fret-less for ska?
Last edited by Urban1ninja at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by smb
It's gotta be a Fender tone for ska...our resident ska bassist is on holiday though

Stingrays sound like pure sexy genius in ska music.........

mmmmmmm Matt Wong..............mmmmmmmm
Dont get a fretless for ska, ska needs punch, and no, no other colours sadly, but you get it re coloured, if you so wish, right now Im pondering getting my Mustang recoloured Lake Placid Blue, as a guy ar PMT knows a guy who does it very very well!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
i should be picking up my Squier VM Jazz bass this monday/tuesday/wensday. (they are currently out of stock but they said they are getting a shipment of them early next week!)
Thanks for all your advice guys!
Quote by Urban1ninja

my current bass is a B.C. Rich Bronze warlock, and i play ska. (for those of you who dont know what ska is i'll give you a little equation. Reggae + punk + Horns = Ska).

Actually ska is a precedent of reggae. And it evolved into a more punkish type (the 2 tone) in the 70's when ska came to the UK.
[/off topic]

But on topic:
I'd go for a Squier VM P bass or an OLP MM. I find both better sounding for ska than a jazz.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Dont get a fretless for ska, ska needs punch, and no, no other colours sadly, but you get it re coloured, if you so wish, right now Im pondering getting my Mustang recoloured Lake Placid Blue, as a guy ar PMT knows a guy who does it very very well!

only do this if you can get a yellow with a happyface pickguard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by indie-bassist
Look at the Vintage Modified Precision Bass.

+9897986707.....(really huge number)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I believe Sting used a fretless P bass for Roxanne. Correct me if Im wrong though.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Quote by shotbythepope
I believe Sting used a fretless P bass for Roxanne. Correct me if Im wrong though.

Sting is a bit more of a dub bassist. but his main bass for the longest time was a fretless Ibanez. so I guess a fretless can work, but only if you're trying to sound dubby. whick means bigger emphasis on reggae than punk in the bassline.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard