I put fresh D'Addario strings on my strat about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and they're rusting on the upper frets already. They still sound bright-ish, but the rust is coming off onto the frets and dirt on my guitars pisses me off.

Do you think it's the summer humidity?

I've used Ernie Ball strings before and they go months without rusting, though they don't sound as crisp to my ears (in my opinion).
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Jul 15, 2008,
Quote by smb
Are you washing your hands before playing?

Quote by GoDrex
sounds like dead skin crud to me...

I know the difference between rust and that black crap that comes off fingers. It's rust.
Your lucky that it lasts you even three days. My E,G, and B strings are completely rusted after 3 DAYS and that's if I'm lucky.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I just put some d'addarios on about 4 days ago and after the first day some rust spots appeared on them. For 3 weeks seeing a lot of rust isnt surprising if you play alot
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
d'addario's don't last more than about 2 months, but while they last they sound great, they're my prefered strings, i don't mind changing them monthly or bi-monthly though, but wipe your strings after, it'll help
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
I put D'Addario stings on my guitar months ago and they havent rust or anything.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
have you been playin more often and sometimes if your hands are sweety when your playing it makes the strings rust faster. when your done playing try wiping the strings off with a t-shirt. it helps slow down the rusting process
wipe em off with a towel after rockin out man! That should help some. btw FENDER RULES!
my gear: Gibson 2008 Standard Flying V
Marshall MG100DFX
2006 Mexican Stratocaster
GAS Gear: Gibson 1959 Goldtop Les Paul
Vox AC30 Custom Classic
Jackson USA Soloist
Try using GHS Boomers on your strat.
I've been using the Boomers on all my guitars for about 6 months now, and they sounds great. I've used both Ernie Ball's and D'Addario's before that, and i think the GHS have a better sound, plus, they last longer. I only have to change my strings once every month and a half or so and i play at least 2 hours a day..
Quote by BrickIsRed
I put fresh D'Addario strings on my strat about 3 to 4 weeks ago, and they're rusting on the upper frets already. They still sound bright-ish, but the rust is coming off onto the frets and dirt on my guitars pisses me off.

Do you think it's the summer humidity?

I've used Ernie Ball strings before and they go months without rusting, though they don't sound as crisp to my ears (in my opinion).

I've had my Elixrs for about a year and they haven't rusted
One time i bought some D'Addario's and i was putting them on my guitar, and the Low E string was already discoloring, like it was starting to rust, I figure it gives it that aged feel, haha, the best part is they still sound amazing.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

Quote by visa
That made absoulutely no sense how do you tie your shoes in little nazi's?
I use D'Addario's and I replace them every two weeks.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Everybodies skin chemistry is different. For me the fender and EBs turn black in 1 practice session. The ddarrios last weeks for me. But I keep my hands clean and use fast fret after Im done playing. Steel and skin salts/acids with humidity a bad mix. Maybe they just arent the strings for you. Or as other said wash your hands and wipe the strings down when done. And 3 to 4 weeks isnt bad for a set of strings if you play every day for several hours.
Most people (not me) suggest changing your strings at least as often as 3 or 4 weeks, so you may want to consider that option. However, I leave D'Addario strings on my guitar for months and they don't rust, so I suspect you merely have defective strings.