Ok, I was watching VH1 Classic's "Heavy: The Story of Metal Pt. 1" and someone, I don't remember who, mentioned something called "The Devil's Third". He said it was banned in Medieval Times because, it was thought to summon the devil hiumself. He also stated that it was first recently used by Black Sabbath to "scare people".

I was wondering if anyone has any links and such to more information, music theory related or not.
You're referring to the tritone, an interval of a diminished fifth. Hence the name, it consists of two notes, three whole tones apart. It was considered unusably dissonant in the Middle Ages, but despite popular belief, it was never banned by the Church.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A tritone is referred to as the Devil's interval. It's an interval consisting of three whole steps (an augmented fourth or diminished fifth). Something like this:

C-F#
or
A-Eb
Quote by Archeo Avis
You're referring to the tritone, an interval of a diminished fifth. Hence the name, it consists of two notes, three whole tones apart. It was considered unusably dissonant in the Middle Ages, but despite popular belief, it was never banned by the Church.

Where'd you hear that? Everywhere I've read/heard about tritones they've mentioned that fact. Not that it's important.. just curious.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Quote by :-D
^The tritone hasn't been around that long. Archeo invented the interval to scare away the people who aren't ready for modes.

HaHaHaHa LMFAO!!

EDIT: I haven't heard that song in ages. It's sounds even better than I remember it.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by :-D
^The tritone hasn't been around that long. Archeo invented the interval to scare away the people who aren't ready for modes.
Smashing, absolutly smashing.

The tritone is indeed a type of interval, as the gentlemen known as galvanise said. Depending on its situation, it shall be hailed a diminished fifth or an augmented fourth.

Might I also assert that the melodic diminished fifth (like going from B to F) was not banned in medieval times. Such composers like bach used it with some discretion. The harmonic diminished fifth (like using F straight over B without anything in between) isnt as used in classical, but can be seldom used in jazz and metal music.
It is still banned as a harmonic interval when writing species counterpoint. Species counterpoint has alot of pedantic rules.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I would just like to point out the masterful use of tritones in the introduction to this song, to help anyone who needs to develop a feel for its use-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5LmbsVn9vA

Edit- Just so you know, the song is incomplete- this version is cut off at the 10 minute mark.
damn...that guy in opeth's voice..i can't handle it.

yes tritones are great. if you are doing a scale run and end on a tritone it usually sounds kind of interesting/cool. of course, don't over use.