So recently I've become very serious about playing the guitar. I've had such phases before, but they have never lasted this long or have had this much intensity. I know this time I am going to remain dedicated. It's not a matter of making it big, of course, but I just really want to be good.

Basically I'm trying to make a very strong technical advancement, and along the way I am trying to better what I already know.

I'm quite satisfied with my playing, but one technique I still haven't quite mastered is bending with a vibrato tied on while the string is still bent.

Before I move along any further, I would like to try and better this technique, and would appreciate any pointers, exercsies, techniques on how to form this-anything.

Thanks.
What I do is I bend the string like normal, then use my picking hand to bend the string even more behind the fret.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
I've only just recently figured it out. There is a video on youtube of Clapton (in his Cream era) talking about the electric guitar and his different techniques and he talks about vibrato and does a demonstration of it. It is a simple enough lick with a good amount of vibrato tied on to a bend, it is great to practice.
Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6r23-le5o

The best advice I can give you is to just practice bending A LOT. You need to build up a lot of strength in your fingers. I am talking about a LOT of strength. Once you have that strength, you can bend the string up and you will have the strength to control the amount of vibrato, as well as keep the bend in pitch which is the most important part.
Quote by carlyroxmysox
What I do is I bend the string like normal, then use my picking hand to bend the string even more behind the fret.

Thats interesting. How do you bend with your picking hand and your fretting hand.

Sometimes I hit natural harmonics or open notes and bend or vibrato them behind the nut but what you describe sounds different. Could you expalin in more detail how you do this.
Quote by Seryaph
I've only just recently figured it out. There is a video on youtube of Clapton (in his Cream era) talking about the electric guitar and his different techniques and he talks about vibrato and does a demonstration of it. It is a simple enough lick with a good amount of vibrato tied on to a bend, it is great to practice.
Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6r23-le5o

The best advice I can give you is to just practice bending A LOT. You need to build up a lot of strength in your fingers. I am talking about a LOT of strength. Once you have that strength, you can bend the string up and you will have the strength to control the amount of vibrato, as well as keep the bend in pitch which is the most important part.

Thanks. I've seen that video before, actually.
The way I do it, its actually not just in the fingers, its in the whole rotation of the forearm/wrist as well . Seraph is right though, you need to build up your strength in order to maintain the tension to keep the bend in tune, and then rotate the forearm evenly to get the nice vibrato.

The way NOT to look at it, is as a rapid succession of bends/releases
Don't make me sick into my own scorn
____

If ya don't give a sh!t ya getcha hellyeah
Throwin' fists in the pit ya getcha hellyeah
Think you're f~ckin' with this well hell no.
Balls, volume, strength getcha' come on!
For me I believe the issue will be in the technique rather than the strength. I'm confident in my strength, as I've been playing for several years in music that involves a lot of bending (so it has become one of my strong points), but of course I'll continue to work on that as well.
start off slow. bend to a note and then lower the pitch a little by releasing the bend a bit. then go back up to the note. keep practicing that and get it faster. you could also go up a little further than the note you are bending to so that the vibrato goes under and over that note.
Think about how you apply vibrato to a regularly picked note. Now bend the string up to a note. keep it there. Make sure you're comfortable keeping the string like that. Keep it there until you're so comfortable with it it's as if you're fretting a normal note. Now, apply vibrato in the same way you would a regularly fretted note, expect this time the string is already bent. You should have enough strength in your fingers to easily keep it in the bent position. Then, if you just apply vibrato, it should feel as if you're not bending.

I tried describing it as best as I could.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by /-\liceNChains
Thats interesting. How do you bend with your picking hand and your fretting hand.

Sometimes I hit natural harmonics or open notes and bend or vibrato them behind the nut but what you describe sounds different. Could you expalin in more detail how you do this.

Sorry for the late response....better than none though, right?

I'll pick the note and bend the string with the hand that is on the fretboard. Then I take my picking hand and use my thumb to bend the string (behind the fret that's being played) in the opposite direction. I do believe its called a super bend. If you just wiggle your thumb back and forth, you can create a vibrato.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Not sure if you've seen it, but Doug Fearman Lesson 2 on UGtv has a piece on bending wth vibrato. He goes on a bit, and it didn't really help me (i can do it), but check it out, it might help.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
Quote by ouchies
Basically its just a bend.. with vibrato. Use your wrist to create the vibrato, not just the fingers. If you can't get it to be in tune, don't be discouraged, just keep practicing.

+1 to this

TS, bending with vibrato will just come with time.

A tip from me is to try this technique on the G string lower down the neck, where it's more difficult. Try it all over the neck aswell tho. Then one day when playing you'll do a bend somewhere high up and the vibrato will be there.

You'll be like "oh, it's there". Honestly, it really is like that, it'll suddenly appear out of the blue. Then you won't be able to stop doing it.
Last edited by mdc at Jul 23, 2008,
Quote by mdc
You'll be like "oh, it's there". Honestly, it really is like that, it'll suddenly appear out of the blue. Then you won't be able to stop doing it.

+1.

I did it by just wobbling my hand at the top of the bend. Now, i can do it controlled, but i haven't really ever set out to practice it.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here