My Peavey Classic 20 blew a couple caps & resistors at band practice a couple weeks ago and I sent it to Peavey Repair shop. It's a cool sounding amp and I have been using it at band practice. They fixed it and I got it back yesterday. Played it a little last night, and tonight cranked it a bit and everything seems to be fine. The power tubes were replaced, and I noticed that the two blown caps were replaced with a single cap.

It sounds great as it did before, but is missing a little "edge" to the tone. Is this because the power tubes are going to have to break in? I never changed the tubes on it before and don't know what to expect. It had Sovteks in it before and that is what Peavey put back in it after the repair. Here are pics of the amp and before & after repair:

That has el84s right? I'd get some JJ or EH if I were you, oughta help the sound a lot.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It does have two EL84s. Yep, it was pretty loud when it went + a lot of smoke I see what you mean on the cap.
nice banjo btw. what does THAT sound like through the amp? lol.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Quote by Almost-Antix
nice banjo btw. what does THAT sound like through the amp? lol.

Lol, that banjo is acoustic but I do have an electric banjo that's out of the pic. You haven't lived until you've heard banjo rolling with heavy distortion
JJ EL84's for the win!

I also have some 12AX7's for sale, cheap. *wink wink*
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
how much did that run ya to get fixed?

my randall had something on the PCV blow (white rectangular prism looking thing smaller than a leggo) and i was dumb and left a slight finger smudge somewhere i think.....i'm hopin' when they look at it they don't see it cuz there's a bunch of wires should be over it. anyway, in the even that they don't fix it under warranty i need to know about how much i'll be shellin' out lol.

i'm expectin' like between 2 or $300 but it'll be well worth it if my randall comes back to life!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^are u referring to the TS or me?

if it's me then i dont know how my amp blew. i was jammin outside one day w/ a cool ass drummer and bassist playin some progressivish metal sounding stuff and got the cops called on us, but we didn't know till we were packin up. and all of a sudden my amp just goes out and i could tell it blew a couple fuses. but even after replacing them the amp kept blowing the fuse behind the power supply. and i only had the master volume at half.....i wasn't even really pushing the amp too much....lol....my luck
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
It cost less than $50 to have it fixed, but the power transformer checked out ok. It would have probably been way more if the transformer had blown. btw the folks at Peavey were helpful and nice throughout.

No idea what caused it ... we had played one song to start practice and it wasn't even turned up that loud and after the song I was talking to the acoustic guitar player. I was tuning with the floor tuner, switched the tuner off, and then there was no sound out of the amp. I was checking the cables and stuff and then smelled a burning smell, asked the acoustic player if he smelled it, and then a big pop and smoke I know it sat for years without being played in the original owner's closet before I got it. So maybe a couple of components on the board were degraded or something.
ahh maybe i'll get lucky and only have to pay somethin <$100 IF it isn't covered under warranty....here's to hopin anyway....
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
It's good that you got it fixed I bet it sounds great and I would bet the tubes have to break in.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2