Okay so I got my line 6 spider II 15 watt amp (yes I know it sucks ass and I was completely ripped off) and got it connected to my computer and it records fine, but when I record I do not hear my guitar's output on the computer which is kinda off putting. Could anyone suggest any (free) software that lets me hear what I'm playing, like a live preview?

Cheers.
The functionality to do this is (usually) build right into windows. If you're using XP (Vista butchered the Windows sound interface, so can't help you there), pull up your sound control and remove the mute and up the volume on the input you're using (probably the Line In control).

If your sound card's drive doesn't have this option, monitoring becomes a bit tricky. Unless you have a higher-end sound card, you'll most definitely run into latency issues if using any software-driven monitoring. If for whatever reason your card driver doesn't support it, our best bet for monitoring is to get a Y-Splitter for a couple bucks and just use headphones as the second output.
Quote by vidgc
The functionality to do this is (usually) build right into windows. If you're using XP (Vista butchered the Windows sound interface, so can't help you there), pull up your sound control and remove the mute and up the volume on the input you're using (probably the Line In control).

If your sound card's drive doesn't have this option, monitoring becomes a bit tricky. Unless you have a higher-end sound card, you'll most definitely run into latency issues if using any software-driven monitoring. If for whatever reason your card driver doesn't support it, our best bet for monitoring is to get a Y-Splitter for a couple bucks and just use headphones as the second output.

Unfortunately I am using Vista, but you have answered my question. Thanks.