Page 1 of 2
So anybody read the book The Giver.
I read it 2 years ago in grade six and found it today on my book shelf and read it again today.(It's like 140 pages)
The book is wierd but the wierdest part is the main character has a wet dream about bathing old people.
Reading that was a true WTF moment. Comments if you've read it and if you have not go back to grade 6 and read it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

,___,
[¬.¬]
/)__)
-"--"-

Quote by FishCream
Stop Performing Meathook Sodomy On Yourself
dude we read that like in the 1st grade XD
Quote by slaveofsatan
The book is wierd but the wierdest part is the main character has a wet dream about bathing old people.

thats the only part anyone ever remembers
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I only remember the ending and not understanding what happened. Then my teacher ruined it for me and said that it's up to the readers interpretation whether or not he died *sigh*

I thought it was a good book at the time I read it.
red in 7th grade.. it was really weird, we had to read out loud and everything.. i actually had to read that part.. it sucked
The only part I remember is when he sees the color red for the first time.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
wat
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The Giver... is that the one where he's the only kid who can see colour and stuff?

No, he was the only one who had memories and dreams. They were going to kill his baby brother for whatever reason too which is why he tried to run away and find a new town. I think he had other cool powers too

Edit: Oh, I guess you're right - he is the only one who can see colors...
That book made me think really strangely.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
that was a really wierd book, but to the person who said their teacher said it was their interpretation about whether he died or not, your teachers wrong. We were discussing the book in class, and some girl who had read some more booksby the author said hes in another book, which takes place after the giver
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Yeah we read the sequel too, Gathering Blue. He's mentioned in the end of it. they were both pretty weird, but pretty average.
that was the first future dystopian story I read in school. I much preferred 1984 and Brave New World, TS should read both if he hasn't.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Youre not seeing the true F'd up nature that the "community" was pushing in the kids heads. Dude, to be "Released" was to be Euthanized, and Euthanasia is a euphemism for "kill somebody because they're in pain/useless!". The whole idea of the community p*ssed me off, probably because i have the "problems with Authority". all that aside, I rather enjoyed the book. Lois Lowry freaked me out and made my whole sixth grade paranoiac.
I have read that book multiple time and every time i get something different out of it...it makes me think though....i think in reality the old man rapes him the first time giving him the concept of the color red
Yeah, it was required reading in the 6th grade in my school. Personally I did not care for it but I never enjoyed reading until recently
You are now blinking manually
That's funny, in Grade 6 read "The Taker"...
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
I have that book but I never read it, at least not all the way through. I don't think I will.

That's funny. A WET dream about BATHING old people.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
This book made me hate the world.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I thought that the wet dream was about bathing his female friend?

Yeah? And weren't they called The Stirrings?
Is this the one where they sacrifice babies and the kid could see colors?
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Quote by slaveofsatan
So anybody read the book The Giver.
I read it 2 years ago in grade six and found it today on my book shelf and read it again today.(It's like 140 pages)
Reading that was a true WTF moment. Comments if you've read it and if you have not go back to grade 6 and read it.

Lol we read that in 8th grade, and we read that part as a class for some reason, and they got some girl to read it.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by RU Experienced?
No, he was the only one who had memories and dreams. They were going to kill his baby brother for whatever reason too which is why he tried to run away and find a new town. I think he had other cool powers too

Edit: Oh, I guess you're right - he is the only one who can see colors...

No I don't think it was his brother it was either some kid his dad watched because he had that job of taking care of kids or it was some random kid his dad was gonna kill I know it was something about his dad and the previous reciever either committed suicide or they killed her because she was gonna rebel and the main character saw the video of her dieing. It was a cool book.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I heard a while ago they were planning to make a movie...

that would be freaky... they'd have to do the whole thing in like black and white until he could see color.

just like the wizard of Oz...
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Quote by Hambonicus
I heard a while ago they were planning to make a movie...

that would be freaky... they'd have to do the whole thing in like black and white until he could see color.

just like the wizard of Oz...

That would be interesting... just like in Schindler's List where only the little girl's red coat is in colour.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Yeah, it was. Dirty perverted UGers.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Deliriumbassist

It was.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Hambonicus
I heard a while ago they were planning to make a movie

Quote by Wikipedia
An Internet Movie Database entry for The Giver appeared in late 2004, which claimed a release date in 2007. Bridges himself is, at present, the only credited cast member to be listed. The Giver is currently in pre-production and is slated for release in 2009. It is to be directed by David Yates. Actor Ron Rifkin read the text for the audio book edition.

Now according to imdb.com, it has been delayed to 2011.

2011?

WTF!?!
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Yeah I think the first one he has is when he gets the "feelings" suppressed by the unspecified drugs. I did prefer Brave New World though because it kind of took someone of our universe and put it into theirs.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That would be interesting... just like in Schindler's List where only the little girl's red coat is in colour.

Good comparison. Now, i thought i was the only one who understood the emotional meaning of that.

Quote by Th6r6a6sH
Good comparison. Now, i thought i was the only one who understood the emotional meaning of that.

You read the memoirs of the person that the character was based on? A woman called Roma Ligocka, who survived the Warsaw ghettos. Interesting stuff.
Page 1 of 2