I really wanted a fender stratocaster as my second guitar, and I was interested in the american one with a H-S-S setup but I mostly play metal like thrash and death but I don't know how the strat will hold up. If you were in this situation, what would you do? Can someone suggest a guitar better for my taste WITHOUT a locking trem? Thanks in advance.

I'm also willing to pay as much for the new guitar as the fender.
Fender makes a "Flathead" Strat with EMGs and a String thru bridge (i think).
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Are you looking for a guitar with a non-locking trem (like that on the Strat) and/or a hardtail? Because if a hardtail bridge would be fine, I'm sure you can find a nice Ibanez RGA that'd blow a strat out of the water for Thrash and Death metal.
i wouldnt get a strat. theres many great looking guitars that are MUCH better for what you want to play. you'll be saving money too.
I'd say check out Ibanez RGs with hardtail bridges or the Iceman. Also, check out some LTD models and Schecters. Most, if not all, those guitars are around $1000 or less.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
Thanks for everyone's input! I was looking for a hardtail not like the one on the fenders.
I have a and HSS type setup on my guitar, its really versitale, just only use the humbucker for the metal and use the single coils for really clean stuff.
One of the EC-1000 has passive Duncans if you still want passive pickups, but do you want to try the actives? Also, are looks important?
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
I saw that one with the passive pups but it has the sunburst and I was kinda leaning towards the green EC-1000.
Today's Lesson: TS needs to searchbar moar.

Really, haven't we had this thread, oh, a ton lately? I don't want to be the guy who mentions the searchbar, but come on.
Quote by Ebucra
I have a and HSS type setup on my guitar, its really versitale, just only use the humbucker for the metal and use the single coils for really clean stuff.

thats what i do. buy a mim and if you want put in a new bride pick up to fit your needs or the exact tone you lookin for. and still be able to play jazz or blues on the singles coils or like me i get the urge to play some floyd from time to time. just a perfectly versatile guitar. and the wammy is a good option to have. use it or don't lots of guy's have their strats set up as hardtails.