Should I buy the head and cab seperately? Or buy a combo?
I really don't know a whole lot about stacks..

I play metal and clean stuff.

Suggestions appreciated.
How about buy a nice combo? You don't want to lug around cabs and heads all over the place for one. I had a half stack and I hated to gig with it.

Try picking up a used Mark IV combo or a Rectoverb. The Krank Rev comes in a combo form as well.
Quote by fartripper67
Should I buy the head and cab seperately? Or buy a combo?
I really don't know a whole lot about stacks..

I play metal and clean stuff.

Suggestions appreciated.

5150 combo with new tubes is a great amp for metal. What type of sound are you really looking to dial in?
Well a Vader 4x12 for a cab. And for the head I can't really tell you.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
Quote by StraightHate
5150 combo with new tubes is a great amp for metal. What type of sound are you really looking to dial in?

Deep & heavy tone.

Kinda like newer Motorhead.

And a combo would be fine if I have enough power, I currently have a Roland Cube 30X and it feels like I need more power.
Last edited by fartripper67 at Jul 15, 2008,
I'd get a Bugera 333XL, Randall RM100 or Peavey XXX head with a Vader 4x12
I have a Peavey 6505+ stack and while it's amazing for teh br00t4lz the cleans are mediocre (remedied if you EQ it properly)
ohai little sig.
Quote by fartripper67
Deep & heavy tone.

Kinda like newer Motorhead.

And a combo would be fine if I have enough power, I currently have a Roland Cube 30X and it feels like I need more power.

How 'bout a Mesa Stiletto? It's British voiced unlike most other Mesas, so it'll get you that Motorhead- like tone you're looking for.

They go for around $1200 used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Stiletto-Deuce-Amplifier-Head_W0QQitemZ300241704927QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300241704927&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How about buy a nice combo? You don't want to lug around cabs and heads all over the place for one. I had a half stack and I hated to gig with it.

Try picking up a used Mark IV combo or a Rectoverb. The Krank Rev comes in a combo form as well.

+1 to the used Mark IV combo. Amazing amp for cleans and leads and pretty good for rhythms, though if your a big metal rhythm player, maybe you would prefer a 5150 or 6505 or a mesa dual rectifier.

But I would have a Mark IV combo or an ENGL SE now if I had the cash. I've never thought much of Krank's tone wise.
i'd say mesa mark iv or dc head and a recto 2x12 or similar 2x12 (look at EarCandy, Avatar, Tone Tubby, etc.), or get the combo version of either amp I mentioned.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

How about just a 2x12? Lighter than a 2x12, more wattage handling if you need it, beats a 2x12 combo.

I agree on the Mesa Stilletto Ace, or a Kustom Coupe 36, which does high gain fantastic, and cleans as well.

If you can, a rectoverb, or tremoverb is a great deal used.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
How about just a 2x12? Lighter than a 2x12, more wattage handling if you need it, beats a 2x12 combo.

I agree on the Mesa Stilletto Ace, or a Kustom Coupe 36, which does high gain fantastic, and cleans as well.

If you can, a rectoverb, or tremoverb is a great deal used.

I suppose that would work too.
I'd get a Bugera 333XL, Randall RM100 or Peavey XXX head with a Vader 4x12
I have a Peavey 6505+ stack and while it's amazing for teh br00t4lz the cleans are mediocre (remedied if you EQ it properly)

ahhh good suggestion w/ the RM

i'd say an RM50. combo has plenty of volume.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Jul 15, 2008,
I'm looking at some Randall combo amps, and some seem pretty nice:

What are the main differences between these two?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-G3-Plus-Series-RG200DG3PLUS-200W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481690
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-G3-Plus-Series-RG200G3PLUS-200W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481689

I also like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-MTS-Series-RM100-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-without-Modules?sku=481126
But do you need to buy the modules for it or what?

I said before, I currently have a Roland Cube 30X, and when I turn it up over half way, the sound starts to break up. Will that happen with these? And thanks to everyone who helped thus far.

EDIT: This stack seems nice as well:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269

Opinions?
Last edited by fartripper67 at Jul 15, 2008,
if you're gonna go randall, go big or go home lol seriously though, if you get an RM model you'll never look back.

yes you have to buy modules for the slots, $210 a piece brand new. eBay for used ones and save like $50 at least.

also, get the 50 watt version, 100 watts is only necessary if you NEED that headroom, otherwise it's not gonna be worth the hassle.

i think the RM amps are quite possibly one of the most versatile tube amps you can get. i'm devoted to mine lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
not to mention if ya start gigging with it, soundguys love it when you show up with a combo and not some massive half stack:P i just got the Bugera 333XL and its light(well light for a combo)and versitile.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Quote by slash_rocks2005
if you're gonna go randall, go big or go home lol seriously though, if you get an RM model you'll never look back.

yes you have to buy modules for the slots, $210 a piece brand new. eBay for used ones and save like $50 at least.

also, get the 50 watt version, 100 watts is only necessary if you NEED that headroom, otherwise it's not gonna be worth the hassle.

i think the RM amps are quite possibly one of the most versatile tube amps you can get. i'm devoted to mine lol

well, considering you could buy a module for pretty much any sound, it might be the most versatile.
im looking at buying one, i will feel stupid being mainly a blues/jazz player though, lol
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
you can get a mesa boogie dual rectifier half stack for 1600.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
JCM900 You could get a head and cab for 1500 or a JCM800 head and cab but go to Guitar Center or your local shop and play whichever one you like.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

why would ya feel stupid? they have a module based on the Fender Blackface which would be great, and then you could get the 'Plexi' module for your rock tone. or if you need more gain there's ton to choose from.

i'd call the Randall MTS line 'MOST' versatile but something like that is always subjective and everyone will chime in telling me what amp THEY think is more versatile. and that's fine. personally i think the Randalls are the most versatile while maintaining the truest tone of the amps it models.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
why would ya feel stupid? they have a module based on the Fender Blackface which would be great, and then you could get the 'Plexi' module for your rock tone. or if you need more gain there's ton to choose from.

i'd call the Randall MTS line 'MOST' versatile but something like that is always subjective and everyone will chime in telling me what amp THEY think is more versatile. and that's fine. personally i think the Randalls are the most versatile while maintaining the truest tone of the amps it models.

i was half joking about feeling stupid.
its just something about the audience not knowing what the band is going to play, and seeing me plug into a randall half stack.
the drummer then counts off the first song................................

"dont mean a thing if you aint got that swing.
do wat do wat do wat do wat"
hahaha
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ i feel ya. until i saw the RM50 in the shop back in December, i didn't think they were good at anything other than metal...talk about close minded.....

that amp was in the right place at the right time....and at the price i got it for....it was meant to be! lol
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
a used mark IV combo is your best bet.
if you want more of a british voiced amp then definitely go with a used jcm800 combo with a couple of good pedals.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.