Okay i heard of million different trems...i just dont what each one does..whats the diff between floyd rose,edge,locking trem, and i heard of other ones...whats the diff between all of them?
locking tremolo means...it locks....its just a type of trem that keeps the strings in tune better
floyd rose and edge and basically brand names

you see, you can buy a "double-locking floyd rose", get it?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
locking tremolo means...it locks....its just a type of trem that keeps the strings in tune better
floyd rose and edge and basically brand names

you see, you can buy a "double-locking floyd rose", get it?
yea so the trems that are not locking trems get out of tune easily?
Original Floyd Rose (Locking)= The original locking tremolo system

Floyd Rose Pro (Locking)= Low profile version of OFR

Floyd Rose SpeedLoader Tremolo (Locking)= Similar function to OFR, except easier tuning and string change and features the Floyd Rose TremStopper so it can easily be blocked to further increase stability.

Licensed Floyd Rose= Licensed versions of Floyd Rose patents. Usually used on lower end/cheaper guitars (except Ibanez Edge/Lo-Pro/Edge Pro/Edge Zero/ZR-II which are considered by some to eb equal to or greater than the OFR in terms of build quality, stability and performance)

Ibanez Edge/Lo-Pro/Edge Pro/Edge Zero/ZR-II (Locking)= Ibanez licensed floyd rose tremolos which are considered to be among the highest quality Licensed locking tremolo systems.

Schaller Floyd Rose/Gotoh Floyd Rose = Other high quality licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo systems, that are very close to an OFR in terms of design.

Bigsby (Non locking)= "spring-loaded arm that rotates a cylindrical bar in the tailpiece, varying the string tension to create vibrato and other pitch variations"

Fender Synchronised tremolo (non locking)= Trem style commonly seen on many Strat shaped guitars.

Any more questions, I'll try to help!

EDIT:

Most Locking tremolo systems also use a locking nut,which clamps string down at the nut in an attempt to further maintain tuning following often extreme whammy abuse. If a Floyd Rose style trem is built well, set up well and effectively uses either or both locking tuners and a locking nut, extreme whammy abuse is possible with little to no intonation or tuning issues. For an example of this,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk

Most vintage trems/Bigsby/John Petrucci Musicman trem do not use locking nuts. Fender vintage style tremolos and Bigsby's cannot get near the level of pitch variation able to be attained using a Floyd Rose Style tremolo. Heavy abuse of a Vintage trem with no locking nut or locking tuners will likely result in the guitar falling out of tune.

An exception to this is the tremolo used on the John Petrucci signature Musicman, which is essentially a vintage style tremolo that can achieve near the pitch variation of a Floyd Rose style tremolo. It does not use a locking nut, but relies on locking tuners to maintain tuning stability.

Tremolos can also be blocked to vary whether the tremolo can be pulled up or down and this is usually done in an attempt to increase tuning stability.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Jul 15, 2008,
^ what the hell man
i thought my simple explanation was good enough
but you have to go and make this unbelievable lengthy thorough post
TRYING TO STEAL MY THUNDER, ARE YOU

just kidding man, incredible post
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████