Page 1 of 2
Well, I was in Guitar Center today trying to find a decently priced axe (around $800 or so). After going through almost all of the guitars I was looking at barring the Ibanez JEM on the top row(at this point, I was probably being looked at funny by the employees because I was in there for about 2 hours now), I decided to try an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature.

I was in heaven.
I played it through a Mesa Express 5:25 and after fooling around with the EQ a bit, it sounded wonderfully metaltastic. It was set up nicely, and there were no obvious flaws with it (something I've found out is that Epiphone QC is mixed). The neck is unfinished, which I absolutely adored. The profile of the neck is also fantastic, and I was immediately comfortable with it being that my current guitar is a Gibson LP Faded Special. There was only one problem...

I do not like Zakk Wylde. His music bugs me. And I know if I got the guitar, it would be a screaming proclamation that I am a Zakk Wylde fan. Seriously, have you ever seen someone with a Razorback and them say, "no, I really don't like Dimebag. At all"? So now I am stuck between getting this guitar or trying to find another one I like. Any advice?

On another note, a GC employee caught me walking around looking for an amp. He said what tone I was looking for, and I said Metal, kind of like John Petrucci or Alex Skolnick. He led me over to a Marshall MG30DFX.
Quote by Scream And Fly
I say forget about the artist and get what YOU like. What matters is that you like the instrument, who cares who its endorsed by?

+1

If you were buying a guitar just because it was a Zakk Wylde model then it'd be a bad choice.
Hey, if anybody gives you static on liking Zakk's axe and not liking Zakk, tell em to stuff it, because maybe Zakk's music bugs you, but he's got good taste .

It's your choice on buying the thing
yeahh go ahead and buy it if you like it
besides if you really want you can tweak the appearance or w/e and make it your own
Well... if you're carrying around an Epi Zakk Wylde sig, it kind of carries a "n00b" label with it, nice as it may be. Don't be surprised if the employees picked up on that.

How do you know it was the amp, though? Did you try your current guitar through the Express and/or the Zakk Sig through your current amp?
you can all ways say zack.....who?....i just like the bulls eye paint job
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
If you do get it, i would say because you like it. I might change the pups and give it a new paint job X)
rofl at the MG.

Anyways, I use a Jimmie Vaughan Strat. He's not my favorite guitarist (kinda stiff IMO) but i absolutley love the guitar. It has some of the best blues tones i've ever heard. I'd say screw zakk wylde and buy it. if you like the tone, buy whatever sounds good.
Hey, if you like it, buy it. If it bugs you that much, strip it down. Really, I think most people get what you're saying, but the only thing that makes it stick out is the finish. The specs fit you perfectly, so buy it.

F*** everybody else. I saw a video a while back for a twangy country band where the dude was playing a ZW signature. You don't have to dig Zakk's music to find that his axe fits you like a glove.

I say if you want it, don't let anybody or their judgements stop you from buying it.
if it really bugs u, then just paint over it or put stickers or something (if u dont want it to be exactly like Zakk's) and anyways, ur buying the guitar coz u feel comfortable with it... so if u think its that good then go for it...
Quote by mig-29
you can all ways say zack.....who?....i just like the bulls eye paint job

no

im pretty sure it sais zakk wylde right on it some where

plus.. no
if you like the feel and tone of it i would try out an esp eclipse because they are lighter, have faster necks, and usually have active emg-81 and emg-85 stock pick-ups (which is exactly what zakk uses) so the tone is nearly exactly the same.
I'm pretty sure epiphone prophecy les pauls have the same pickups and look much better IMO

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515618

same price too.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Well, if you're really that worried about it, have the guitar refinished and take off whatever tells you it has any relation to him.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by black-serenade-
no

im pretty sure it sais zakk wylde right on it some where

plus.. no

i kno, i was just trying to say screw the name, buy the axe.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
I realy dont give a F^UCK about what other ppl says, I own 4 signature guitars(Jimmy page, slash, EVH and zakk) I like the look and they feels "right" and play nice in my hands I just love them. besides, I will never play/sounds like any of them so i say if you tried it and like it just buy the damn guitar.
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
take off the truss rod cover, and replace it with a standard one im pretty sure thats the only place it says his name
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I actually love the design, which is one of the reasons I would pick it over the Prophecy as someone suggested (aside from the unfinished neck).

I was thinking of throwing some active EMGs (NOT the ZW type) into it and have it be my main metal machine. My other LP has some DiMarzios that i would use for 80's shreddy stuff, like Paul Gilbert/Racer X, Yngwie, etc while the ZW Epiphone would be for heavier metal (Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, fun stuff like that).

And to whoever said it was a n00b magnet-
I could have sworn that the employee who led me to the MG took a glance at me when I picked it up.
Quote by umbrellacorp
I'm pretty sure epiphone prophecy les pauls have the same pickups and look much better IMO

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515618

same price too.

nice guitar but only 2 knobs, 1 tone 1 volume but other than that its awsome

You know, you can call me a fanboy or what ever but when ever I try a sig guitar compared to the normal version I like the sig model more for some reason.

like I went to GC a few months back looking for a Les Paul and had a BLS shirt on and the guy said hey try the ZW model I did and loved it had great tone and was not a toy. and the only other LP I liked was the trans-blue model which is beautiful I played one when I went on vacation best one I played to date because they just got it that morning but didn't have the cash on me to buy it.

and I have a RazorBack not because I'm a Dime fan which I am but I loved the shape and it was good for shredding and just heavy Riffing for me.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
Opening post..

I know what you mean. Even if I liked Zakk Wylde (or any other guitarist with a signature guitar), I wouldn't want to buy their signature. It's just gay walking around with someone else's guitar. Anyway, so you like Les Pauls with EMGs.. therein lies your answer. Blag a good Les Paul copy (doesn't have to be Epiphone, look into Tokai etc), and then bang some EMGs into it. You will be in your heaven, and your heaven won't have 'Zakk Wylde' written on it
Why don't you custom order a Gibson LP with Zakk's signature guitar's specifications, minus the paintjob etc?
Quote by BrickIsRed
Why don't you custom order a Gibson LP with Zakk's signature guitar's specifications, minus the paintjob etc?

I would if I was rich.

But unfortunately I am not.
Guys, you don't understand, the ZW has an unfinished neck. It feels different from the other Les Pauls that Epi makes.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'd say just get it, you can always change the paint or cover it in stickers or something, and replace the truss rod cover. Alternatively, you could go with some other Les Paul + EMGs and sand the finish off the neck.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by aznrockerdude
Guys, you don't understand, the ZW has an unfinished neck. It feels different from the other Les Pauls that Epi makes.

With a bit of sandpaper and some spare time, he could give pretty much any Epi LP an unfinished neck.
Quote by NowhereOutThere
I would if I was rich.

But unfortunately I am not.

Ohh, I thought you were talking about the Gibson Zakk signature, which is $4000+.
A kids at my old school had a zakk wylde guitar and he didnt even know who zakk wylde was. he just thought the bullseye design was teh uBer Punx0rs.

Edit: I apologize for the meaningless post. If you like the sound i think you should get it, as long as your not getting it for the bullseye .
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by deathbyawesome at Jul 16, 2008,
I expect there are lot of people who own LPs but have no idea who Les Paul is

Anyway it could be worse...imagine if the bass you were after was reissued as a Slipknot sig model

I actually knew a guy in a Green Day tribute band whose main guitar was an Epi ZW. It worked, somehow.
get the guitar no one will really care
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
With a bit of sandpaper and some spare time, he could give pretty much any Epi LP an unfinished neck.

Yeah, but that ruins the resale value and some people are really afraid of messing up their guitar (me).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Just shut up and get the damn guitar...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Since no1 mention this I'll bring this up, ZW Epi is the only LP i've seen with a maple neck. FYI Maple has a uniform grain, it’s strong and stable, and it has less reaction from environmental changes than other hardwoods. Its tone is highly reflective, and focuses more energy onto the body wood. This makes a lotta difference between ZW LP and other LP.
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
i dont really listen to Brian Setzer much but i admit i want his Signature Gretsch! If it looks good, plays good, and of course sounds good by all means get it!
Another example for me is Steve Morse, i dont listen to him, but his Signature Music Man is beautiful.
AMPS:
Bugera 333XL
Orange AD30
VoxAC30cc2
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
Les Paul Standard 60s Neck
Jackson DKM2
Godin Solidac
ACOUSTICS:
Taylor 714CE
#1 Influence:
RUSH!!!
Yeah, I played a John Mayer strat the other day and I loved it.
I highly dislike JM, but that guitar played nice.

But, I still want a buddy guy sig. Buddy rules, and it's a very nice guitar too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Martin Scott
More highly technical luthier-talk from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about. Unless you're a luthier, of course. In which case I apologize whole-heartedly.

actually thats what my luthier told me when I brought my zw lp in for complete setup, i was asking him why the zw lp has a maple neck instead of the usual mahogany neck. Please do correct me if what i was told is wrong, much appreciated.
Page 1 of 2