Page 1 of 2
I apologize in advance, I know that there are like hundreds of these types of topics out there, but I couldn't seem to find anything that could help me out.
Basically, I am not familiar at all with amps, I always used my Crate MX10 (http://capitaldealsonline.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1417&quantity=1) so basically anything will be an upgrade for me.... I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic, and in desperate need of a new amp to give my baby some justice. I have a price range of around 700-800ish, and play generally rock, hard rock, blues stuff. If you need to know anymore, ask away. Thanks in advance for the help.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Dean Custon Zone Electric Guitar
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
um
marshal?
really
id go with the peave valve king if ur looking to stpend about htat
its decent and its a tube,
go for it.
i like the xxx myself, but its a bit more expensive
here man, you might not be able to hear it well, but im playin throuh teh XXX in this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GO99MCCLNpE

you might not be able to hear it very well because i had the song playing too but maybe it will help.
you might think your hearing the tracks guitar but thats my guitar your hearing, the amp just sounds that good :P
the classic 30 is also a good option, I've had one for 3 years and it's great. The tubes were a little old, so I put some JJ's in it for about 30 bucks and it has new life, great overdrive for classic rock and stuff, especially for a les paul
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by piginacanoe212
um
marshal?
really
id go with the peave valve king if ur looking to stpend about htat
its decent and its a tube,
go for it.
i like the xxx myself, but its a bit more expensive

The valveking is 400, half of what eh wants to spend, and I'm pretty sure the XXX is for metal.
I'd presonally reccomend a traynor, as they have a few wonderful amps in that price range, you can get the YCV40 for an american tone, or the YCV50 Blue for a more british marshally tone.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
I second the Traynor,, and I find it amusing that your delay pedal costs more than your amp.
valve king is 400?!
just the head maybe
lol
its like 900 total
or at least it was when the other guy in my band got it
xxx is for metal , but it has a good overdrive channel
i like it , i play blues on it with my strat as well, and when i play metal, i can still tear it up, got a nice clean channel as well.
Yeah, pretty much all of my pedals were gifts, and I got the amp way back when I first started playing. The amp was also a gift, my Gibson is the only thing I have bought myself... And now I am trying to upgrade the rest of my ****

So the Traynor apparently gives off good clean tones, but will I be able to get a nice distortion out of it too? Like I said, I know pretty much nothing about amps.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Quote by piginacanoe212
im telling you dude, valve king.
its a very versatile amp.

+1

I tried out the Valveking 112, 212, and the half stack at Guitar Center yesterday and they are great for the price.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
So I think you guys have convinced me.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc
I am really thinking about getting this? Any suggestions? It is a little bit under my price-range, so if there is a different model or anything like that, I would be willing to look at it
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
A lot of people recommend the VK here, but it's because people come in asking what half stack they can get for $500 dollars. If you have 7 to 8 to spend there are definitely better things.
Why is the Traynor so much better than a VK? I am just trying to get some ideas on why I should pick one over the other.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Valvekings are versatile. That's pretty much it. They don't even really do anything that well, and not only that, but with your budget, a Traynor YCV50 Blue would be better for your types of music as well. But hey, it's your money. I suggest you go and try out any amp you can afford and see what you like.
yeah i agree there.
i would go try them both out.
but the reason i would go with the valve king is because of its versatility, what if you change your style, people do. then youll have to buy a new amp lol
the valveking is a very nice amp, especially the distortion on it.
another reason for hte valve king imo is becuase if you ever decide to join a band, youre going to need a half stakc to hear yourself over drums XD
gl man
if you have any questions email me, stjimmy62992@yahoo.com
Quote by piginacanoe212
yeah i agree there.
i would go try them both out.
but the reason i would go with the valve king is because of its versatility, what if you change your style, people do. then youll have to buy a new amp lol
the valveking is a very nice amp, especially the distortion on it.
another reason for hte valve king imo is becuase if you ever decide to join a band, youre going to need a half stakc to hear yourself over drums XD
gl man
if you have any questions email me, stjimmy62992@yahoo.com

He doesn't need a half-stack to get over drums. Depending whether he needs cleans or not, he can make do with 15-30 watts.

And though the Valveking is versatile, it isn't really that great of an amp seeing his budget and music styles.
you do not need a Half Stack to get over drums.

a 50 watt combo should be more than enough.

if you really need extra headroom, and speaker, and cab out options, and weight then maybe the 212.

the good thing about the head option as you know is you will have more cab options. Admittingly, the speakers are not that great on any Valveking but it is not terrible either.

I would see how many amps you can play in one week.
well i need a halfstack to play over drums, but then again, our drummer plays loud as ****.
i guess if you are playing softer music the drums arent as intense, you wouldnt need one.
either way , gl dude
In order of my reccomendation:

Traynor YCV40
Kustom Coupe 36
Classic 30
Blues Deluxe

All great for some hard rock. The Kustom will do fantastic in terms of the amount of gain.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by piginacanoe212
well i need a halfstack to play over drums, but then again, our drummer plays loud as ****.
i guess if you are playing softer music the drums arent as intense, you wouldnt need one.
either way , gl dude

my drummer is one of the loudest drummers ive ever played with. my 40 watt amp easily gets over him.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING
DONT GET A VALVEKING

VALVEKINGS SUCK stock. and 100 watts is absolutely rediculous. Get a traynor, or a classic 30, and call it a game. I suggest the traynor YCV40. But seriously, PLEAAAAAAAASE don't get a valveking. They have an absolutely sterile sound.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
meh
i like them
i guess it really just depends man.
i lkie the valve king half stack because its got a lot of crunch, traynor is okay.
really dude, go there and play em for yourself.
**** what everyone says
lol
Quote by piginacanoe212
meh
i like them
i guess it really just depends man.
i lkie the valve king half stack because its got a lot of crunch, traynor is okay.
really dude, go there and play em for yourself.
**** what everyone says
lol

Have you even played a traynor..? The YCV50 Blue is very near a marshall.. famous for the crunch. 50 watts should be way enough for gigging. Sounds like the traynor is a perfect fit.
Nice info...anyway

after posting in a stickied thread

(my post)
i'm using a Yamaha RGXA2 and still deciding on getting an amp

i'm practically a beginner when it comes to "electrics" but
i have experience on acoustics and other stuff...

hmmm...so i'm thinking of buying a Vox AD50VT...

any other suggestions?

my budget is around 300$ ish
i play almost any type of rock (not much metal though)

also...if i have an acoustic-electric, would the amp be suitable for it?

i would really appreciate your help

(and only getting a reply)
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
as far as i have palyed, the VOXs have the best "hybrid" amps. although i did have an older marshall valvestate (before they called them AVT) that was way good for the price.

I didn't get really any help there (but thanks nonetheless)...

hybrid? i think that has something to do with the "tubes" and "ss"

but with the context as stated in my previous post...could any please give me
a layman's explanation?

i'm also thinking about going 30w...but i want something that could be heard
with a whole band
Sorry for bringing this back up, but I am still having questions.
I live in the U.S, and apparently Traynors are made in Canada, and I didn't see any Traynors on guitarcenter.com
If they aren't sold at Guitar Centers, how am I going to get to try one out before I buy?
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Quote by strat212
the classic 30 is also a good option, I've had one for 3 years and it's great. The tubes were a little old, so I put some JJ's in it for about 30 bucks and it has new life, great overdrive for classic rock and stuff, especially for a les paul

No, Peavy Classic is always a disappointment when I play them. I don't know how they got so popular.

Look around for a Marshall DSL or something used. A combo is nice. But if you wanna go halfway now, play through your Crate later, and buy a 250 dollar cab, you could do that and go ahead and by the head.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I say Traynor. I have a Valveking 112 and hate it, the lead channel is so gross, and the cleans breakup to easily.
How are Traynors as far as metal? I am not going to play metal primarily, but I mess around with it every once in a while, especially after I just saw Bullet for my Valentine last night, but anyways. Do many guitar centers sell Traynors? Even though they aren't on the website, because apparently they carry some items that aren't on the website.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Quote by mikerocks15
How are Traynors as far as metal? I am not going to play metal primarily, but I mess around with it every once in a while, especially after I just saw Bullet for my Valentine last night, but anyways. Do many guitar centers sell Traynors? Even though they aren't on the website, because apparently they carry some items that aren't on the website.

I wouldn't get it for metal. Maybe a B-52 combo.
Well, it won't be used mainly for metal, I didn't buy a Les Paul to play metal on, but I do mess around with it every once in a while, but many people are saying Traynors are good, but I really want a chance to try out an amp before I buy it, so I may just end up going to guitar center, and getting something else suggested on here, because I am not sure how to go about finding a Traynor locally
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Depending on what Traynor you get, you will probably need an od to get to modern metal tones. Like said, the YCV40 is more american voiced, whereas the YCV50 is more Marshall voiced, or you could get a YCS100 which is a beast, but it has Marshall tones and rectifier tones, though they liked to be turned up, which might be a problem without an attenuator.
Alright, I went to the Traynor website, and you can find dealers near you (for anyone who had the same problem as me)
So I will take your guys word, and do the like 1 hour drive to go try out a YCV50 Blue, I mean, I am sure that any amp will blow my current amp out of the water, but from what I have heard over sound clips it sounds like a very nice amp
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
quick question about the Traynor YCV50 Blue. You guys said it was comparable to the Marshall DSL (which I'm looking into right now). Is there much more gain? I found that the Marshall DSLs didn't have much, and they sounded pretty muddy and not defined.

How capable is the Traynor at playing metal or high gain/distortion? I'm talking like some sick lead tones for shredding and what not.
Page 1 of 2