So I'm doing a science project (I'm planning it now, we have to, damn summer homework) on muscle memory and i need something to learn. I'll be practicing an hour a day for about 4 months and recording any improvement and such. But anyways I have to learn something during that time. My idea's were-Sweeping, insane left hand technique (i love the sound of legato, and i'm not a huge fan of speed picking), some song that would give me all the techniques to shred. I have to work on only this that entire hour for the entire four months, so you can't say just learn to sweep, I need a song or workout that I could do. And honestly, i don't really need to be able to sweep, i'd rather become amazing with the left hand or learn some song that would make my technique like insane. So whats a song or workout I could use and practice? Thanks
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

first and foremost, you'll probably do better by practicing 15-20 minutes a day instead of an hour. most people have difficulty maintaining the considerable amount of concentration really required for proper "muscle memorization". i recommend first doing quite a bit of research behind how "muscle memory" works, it's a very interesting subject. such as, did you know you're more likely to retain muscle memory if you practice before sleeping instead of mid day.

as for a song that includes what you're looking for you can pretty much flip through the "virtuoso list" of artists including malmsteen,gilbert,satch, vai or for bass les claypool and vic wooten are incredible.
ok thanks a ton. and i don't know any of that music at all, so should i just post something in the song sticky?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

^I never knew that, z4twenny; most of my practicing at school came mid-day and I only get to practice late when I'm home on breaks, but now that may change. Thanks.

As you said, TS, you'll be able to focus more and show grater overall improvement by practicing a song instead of a specific technique. Since you sound like you're just trying to get your foot in the door of shred guitar, you might want to hold off on the virtuoso stuff for a while. A lot of Ozzy's material would be a good foundation, specifically "Bark At The Moon" or "Crazy Train". If you're really focusing on legato, some easier Satch stuff would be in order, like "Always With Me, Always With You" or perhaps "Thinking of You".

Hope that was some help.

Keep in mind that these are beginning steps, and there's really no song that's going to make your technique amazing on its own in 4 months of practice. Guitar is a never-ending journey.
Quote by mydogpoops
ok thanks a ton. and i don't know any of that music at all, so should i just post something in the song sticky?

Nah, you don't need to bother. I mean, you can if you really want to. But this thread more or less steps mainly into practicing, as well as discipline. Definitely has potential. So to me, its fine to have this open.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
someone posted a link to an incredible article somewhere in here (maybe try the searchbar? i cant be asked to look through a million threads right now) but i will say when i started practicing my sweeping i noticed the best improvement when i practice about 30 minutes before bed. try it for a week or 2 for even 5-10 minutes and you'll most likely notice an improvement (maybe not a massive one, but enough of one to be noticeable)

iirc it has to do with your brain creating new pathways while you sleep, if you do something new (such as sweeping) before bed, once you hit the hay your brain goes straight into working out those new paths as opposed to practicing and then staying awake (so the new paths don't get created because you're not sleeping) if you practice during the day it does still make new paths in you brain but it doesn't occur as quickly as if you do it before naptime. i would almost suggest if possible to practice 3 times a day and take a nap right after each practice session (if you're on summer break and have nothing else to do) i would expect a DRASTIC learning curve if you do something like that (though i can't say for sure, theoretically it would work)
Danny, did you delete his second "Smoke on the water" post or did I just imagine things to begin with?

^z4twenny, that sounds like a good idea -- unfortunately, I'm on summer break working upwards of 40 hours a week.
^ yeah i work 8+ hours a day too and i dont think my boss would be too keen to find me practicing guitar then napping mid day.
Quote by :-D
Danny, did you delete his second "Smoke on the water" post or did I just imagine things to begin with?

What second post?!

I deleted it.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by z4twenny
^ yeah i work 8+ hours a day too and i dont think my boss would be too keen to find me practicing guitar then napping mid day.

In my last few days maybe I'll try that.

Danny, you scared me until I scrolled down.
Danny, you scared me until I scrolled down.

Just having fun with you.

Quote by z
iirc it has to do with your brain creating new pathways while you sleep, if you do something new (such as sweeping) before bed, once you hit the hay your brain goes straight into working out those new paths as opposed to practicing and then staying awake (so the new paths don't get created because you're not sleeping) if you practice during the day it does still make new paths in you brain but it doesn't occur as quickly as if you do it before naptime. i would almost suggest if possible to practice 3 times a day and take a nap right after each practice session (if you're on summer break and have nothing else to do) i would expect a DRASTIC learning curve if you do something like that (though i can't say for sure, theoretically it would work)

But at night time, your body prepares itself for sleep. Its natural clock sets itself up, whereas for a nap, you voluntarily do it. You know what I mean? So I'm not sure it would work, but it is interesting that you bring that up. I'm not saying that you're wrong of course, (haven't seen a wrong post by you z) but I'm just wondering about that.
DANNY

Quote by bluesrocker101
Just having fun with you.

*repor...* Can't do it. Reporting a mod is basically like dividing by zero. Enjoy your newfound powers.
*repor...* Can't do it. Reporting a mod is basically like dividing by zero. Enjoy your newfound powers.

Hah well, I wouldn't call them powers though. Just responsibilities. I don't want to feel at a higher level than you guys, because I'm definitely not. MT is one big (trying to be) happy family! Lets not let this go too off topic though...
DANNY

Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker solo. It's cool hammers, pulls, bends, at reasonable s peedand the guitar really is solo no drums or anything. It's one of the best solos IMO
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 16, 2008,
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking maybe eruption, or something by satch. just my thoughts so far. keep em coming and thanks!
Quote by darkstar2466