I'm about to order some Custom Shop '69 pickups for my HSS strat to convert it to SSS, I have the pickups and the pickguard in the cart, but I need some speedy info on pots. I have heard from some sources that I need to replace the bottom pot for a 250k pot because the HSS strat has a 500k pot for the humbucker. Is this true? If I don't change the pot, what effect will it have on my tone?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Musiciansfriend.com reccomends this one, do you agree?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-250K-Custom-Taper-Split-Shaft-Pot?sku=364665
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
If you don't replace the 500 for a 250, you're going to have a really, really bright bridge pickup.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you don't replace the 500 for a 250, you're going to have a really, really bright bridge pickup.

Do you think it would do any damage to my tone to replace the bottom tone pot with the dimarzio and keep the neck pot stock? Or should I replace both with dimarzios?
-Jim Morrison
ive always had bad luck with dimarzio pots for some reason, but yes, id reccomend getting all 250k pots
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by spiderjerusalem
ive always had bad luck with dimarzio pots for some reason, but yes, id reccomend getting all 250k pots

What brand do you reccomend?
-Jim Morrison
Using different values won't do anything except change the tone a little bit.

You could even do what i have for my bridge pu which is just a regular resistor since i don't care for using the volume/tone pots for my bridge.
Quote by forsaknazrael
As long it's 250K, you'll be fine. I'd fo with something other than those single coils, though.
For the price of Fender Custom Shop pickups, you could be getting boutique pickups that are much better.

You realize that you can get a set of three for $189 now?
-Jim Morrison
^Right. I'm well aware of that....You can get better pickups for that.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
What brand do you reccomend?

Honestly, I'd just order some CTS pots off eBay. Buying Dimarzio or Fender or Gibson labeled pots make them expensive.

Still think you should go with something other than Fender Custom Shop pickups. You can get better.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Still think you should go with something other than Fender Custom Shop pickups. You can get better.

Define "better."

Alright, then, for pickups, whats your word?

I'm playing an Ash strat, its got tex mex's in it as it is. Its a bit heavier than most strats.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 15, 2008,
You should definitely be going boutique.
For about 60 bucks more, you'd be in the price range of Stephens Designs pickups. Great stuff, I'd kill for his P-90's. His Red House set would be good, since you're looking at the CS '69 set.

However, I really like the set I got from RockMonkeyGuitars.com. The owner is a UGer, and he gives a 10 % discount to UG members. Let him know I sent ya.
Give him a PM, tell him what you're looking for.
He builds everything vintage correct, and to your specs. I'm extremely satisfied with my custom set.
His specialties are a '59 based set and a '62 based set, but he can do anything you want.
The price is normally 180 bucks, but factor in your discount, and you're looking at a little over 160.
I should record some clips of mine..

By better, I mean more alive and organic. These RMG pickups I have are more open sounding and responsive than any Fender pickups I've tried.
Nothing against your advice, you've got good suggestions, but I'm not up for going through that. This is just a simple buy on musiciansfriend pickup upgrade. The only trouble that I've had is between the CS69 and the CS54, I think both sound fantastic, light and vintage... but I'm having some serious difficulty making a decision. What are your own experiences with the two above?
-Jim Morrison
If you aren't willing to do more than a "simple buy on musiciansfriend", then you are going to be upset when you want better pups down the road and have to pay even more instead of getting them now after a bit of saving. How about you try to get the CS '69 pups on ebay? They are usually brand new for much cheaper than at other stores.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Nothing against your advice, you've got good suggestions, but I'm not up for going through that. This is just a simple buy on musiciansfriend pickup upgrade. The only trouble that I've had is between the CS69 and the CS54, I think both sound fantastic, light and vintage... but I'm having some serious difficulty making a decision. What are your own experiences with the two above?

"Going through that"? I don't think it's that much of a hassle. I just emailed Cord, told him what I wanted. Two weeks later, I had what I wanted. Exactly what I wanted.

I haven't tried the '54. The '69 is decent, but not a good value, to me. They have a nice bell like top end, and handle OD well.
if you don't want to go said route then i would recommend Dunan and their pups and their web site. Call them. Settle in on something and then we can offer possible alternatives based on that info.

plus - they are pretty good about exchanges if you do go the Duncan route.