The wide variety of tones and effects you get from just the amp are great. If you do end up getting one I suggest going to http://www.valvetronix.net/ for various artist presets. I think it is a pretty quality amp series, but some might not like that it is not all tube.
Lot's of people like them, but I don't. What's your budget and what music do you play? Which one are you interested in (Ad15, AD30, AD50, etc.)?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I like them, but that's just my opinion. Can you elaborate? (genre, guitar, playing style)
My opinion is that it is a really loud spider3, but this is my opinion (not like thats a bad thing, I like my spider 3 despite criticism). I like them
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I have an AD50VT and its great for what it is, a budget amp with a little bit of tube. The single 12AX7 in the power amp is enough to give it a little more tone but if you want to hear the sounds you can get using the direct out (crap compared to the output through the power amp and speaker) check out my profile. I recorded "For the Love Of God" and the Larry Carlton style jam track with just my Patrick Eggle Berlin direct into my AD50VT and out into a Tapco Audio Interface into my laptop (oh and a crybaby wah on FTLOG)

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarnoize/
i play more along a slash style but i cant afford a marshall but i also like the styles of synister gates and brian may. the only pedal i use is a wah. i have an ltd ec-50 and an ibanez RG350DX with an invader bridge pickup. im looking at the halfstack.
They're amazing amps for the price, got my ad30vt for 250, in that price range it's hard to find a decent tube amp. Most of the amp effects are good except the wah.
Quote by SynisterSlash92
i play more along a slash style but i cant afford a marshall but i also like the styles of synister gates and brian may. the only pedal i use is a wah. i have an ltd ec-50 and an ibanez RG350DX with an invader bridge pickup. im looking at the halfstack.

You can do better than that. I'd check out a Vox AC15 or maybe a used AC30. I've also heard that Traynor amps are awesome and very Marshall-esque, but I've never tried one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-20WR-YCV20WR-15W-Class-A-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=480980

something like the Traynor in this link would absolutely destroy a valvetronix from what I've heard.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I played my friend's AD30 and I found it hard to get a good clean tone, it always seemed a bit muddy. However, some of the distortion settings are pretty decent, if you're into a more modern distortion sound. Doesn't come close to an AC15 or AC30 though :-)
GEAR

VOX AC15 / AC4
Fender MIM Sunburst Strat
epiphone les paul custom in white
Yamaha FG730s
The Tweak-O fuzz pedal
I don't think you played around for long enough, the boutique clean amp, Black 2x12 and Tweed all create great clean sounds, also the AC15 and AC30 are great too. Here is an example of a clean sound using humbuckers so nowhere near as clean as you can get with single coils:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=umPjx77Li6c

My Little Wing video is my Patrick Eggle direct in to the AD50VT on AC30 setting with the Gain cranked up you can hear that if you roll the volume off you get a nice clean sound that breaks up if you push harder. Oh and this is direct out recording so not using the tube which really warms it up.
Last edited by guitarnoize at Jul 16, 2008,
kick ass cuz theyre really warm and they just flow with how you play. and then the effect edit is awesome once you kinda know how to use it and the 2 channels shuld be lik 5 but its fun any ways
Quote by guitarnoize
DUH, Of course it would its an all tube amp that is twice the price!

lol, the AD half stack is $700
you can find a used peavey classic 30 for 250-350 and the 50 watt for alittle more
Hey who said anything about the half stack? We've been talking about the AD30VT & AD50VT smart arse

But regarding the half stack, you make a good point it does seem a little pointless to spend the money when you could get a decent tube combo!
Last edited by guitarnoize at Jul 17, 2008,
I got the vox ad50/vt. I love it sounds great, the comp/chorus effects comboes is great for lead. Auto Wah sucks though.
Quote by SynisterSlash92
im looking at the halfstack.

Quote by guitarnoize
Hey who said anything about the half stack? We've been talking about the AD30VT & AD50VT smart arse

Haha oops sorry looks like I owe you an apology I didn't see that!

I am currently doing this to myself

Well yeah in that case why would you bother?! Half stack Valvetronix seems like a waste of money when there are so many decent tube amps for the same price!
My opinion is that it is a really loud spider3, but this is my opinion (not like thats a bad thing, I like my spider 3 despite criticism). I like them

I jam with my freind who has a spider, and at the same volumes my tone from the adv30vt just completely cuts over him
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ive got the half stack and its great for the versatility, all the different tones I can get. I can actually play anything I want with it. Some of the built in effects are cheesy, but them things always are, I think Line6's are worse though. One of the coolest things about it, is the built in Power Adjustment. You can turn it all the way down, and its only like 1 watt or you can crank it all the way to get the 100 watts. Basically like a built in attenuator i guess, So its perfect for bedroom jamming or band practice and gigging. Its heavy and I would suggest putting some casters on the bottom of the cab. So if you like to play a lot of different styles, I would say Go For It!! otherwise, for about the same price you could pick up a nice All Tube Combo, like a 5150, that will probably be my next amp....
And to all the naysayers, I can Get some good sounding feedback from it!!
Superb amp, lots of great tones for not too much money,good for practice and jamming, but i wouldnt really consider it if your doing any serious gigging.