Alright, I am looking to pick up a new instrument to help occupy my free time and just for the enjoyment it will give me. I have narrowed the choices down to piano and violin but would like to seek guidance from the omniscient pit.

Piano: I could play more mainstream and novelty songs which is always a plus, but classical piano is simply beautiful. Also, i feel this would probably be easier to dabble in since guitar will be my main instrument.

Violin: Probably my favorite sounding instrument, but i feel like it will be harder to learn. I would only like to take a few lessons early on to save $$$ and this would hinder my progress on the violin.

So please post suggestions on which one you recommend.
I say piano.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I vote violin
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Violin.
I'm only saying that because I play it though.

I don't have anything against the piano though.

They're both beautiful sounding instruments...if you know how to play it, that is.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Do you sing? If so go with piano. To me the second coolest thing to sing and play with is piano (with guitar obviously first )
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
man, a lot of people are spelling skin flute wrong.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
As a pianist (hehehehe) and violinist, I'd say piano is much more fun. Also, violin is a bitch of an instrument to tune and play and is the most horrible sounding thing there is in the hands of a beginner and everyone around you will hate you.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
i say violin cuz its tuned relatively the same...ok pretend it has frets...the 7th fret on the lowest string is the same as the next one up
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Violin. It sounds better in my opinion, but is much harder.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by horloko
Bagpipe. Chicks dig it.

Dude. I love bagpipes!!! Im not scottish or anything like that, but i think there awsome.

Play accordion and join a mexican band.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
I'd say. Go for piano. I've been playing for 12 years now. Still don't get bored of it. Composing is soooooo much fun on it. I also play guitar, and.... Well in a wierd way their similar. Go for the keys man!
Quote by bendystraw

"dOOd your guitars way out of tune."

me:"its in drop D idiot"

him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
piano.

or the nose flute. those little things are sweet.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I say piano. Its more useful in everyday stuff. But violin is cooler. My friend plays it almost professionally, and its awesome.
how 2 spell banjo 4 dummies.

:P

piano.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Alright, thanks.

Piano seems to be the general consensus and i had taken into account the fact that violin sounds like boiling puppies when your a beginner and that was my main deterrent.

Piano it is =)
If violin is your favourite sounding instrument, I'd go for that.

I dabble with piano as a secondary instrument purely because I love the sound.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Anything played on anything can be transcribed for anything. Excepting instruments that use a different musical alphabet, that is.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ufossuck
Anything played on anything can be transcribed for anything. Excepting instruments that use a different musical alphabet, that is.

yeah well
your thing below your username is spelt wrong by the way
i would start guitar hero which is harder and takes more skills and also u can show offf cause of draghoon forczee
Quote by iplay6string
yeah well
your thing below your username is spelt wrong by the way

Wow. It's been there for about two years too.
Bullshit, get an ocarina.
Quote by im_hungry, imthehitcher, DeathTouch666, BobMarleysGhost, catchy phrase, flyman, cheeseman3001, Cpt.Jackass, evening_crow, just17n8, Ziggums, MoleMania, Baa I'm a Sheep, x_themetalfan_x, hippy12:

Give him a handjob

Had to consolidate the sig.
Piano because it > violin (just my super biased opinion)
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.