Well I started with the major scale and started with the A major scale. I figured it out and can play it in all five positions and can play it over 120 bpm. The thing is I never learned it backwards I can play it down but not up. And I started learning the B flat scale which is pretty much the same but until I really get a feel for how these work like in a solo Im not going to get much further. Does anyone have a tab of a solo that uses the A major scale? I bought a music theory book and read about how scales work and such but I just don't get how to turn the scales I learn into solos because when I play them it just sounds like a bunch of notes. I haven't quite figured out each note on the fretboard but I can do them starting from the beggining but I have to start at the bottom of the fretboard to tell you what each note is. Any help. IM getting discouraged a bit and im kinda giving up on scales for now.
by LazyLatinoRocke
At least you didn't walked in on your cousin and girlfriend going anal.
Hmm... a song for A major....Texas Flood uses the same shape. Me thinks. Only because it's tuned down a half step.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by :-D
^F# minor, not A major.

Right. But it's the same shape. I know that's what it's called. But I was saying it because they are the same shape.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hey, at least you're starting to understand the purpose of scales, to stay in key (and to solo). That's something you normally don't see in beginners. Most think they're just practice exercises.

First of all, start learning the "positions" backwards. Just write yourself a tab and start playing them backwards. The next step is to connect them. The A major scale is not really a shape. You learn the shapes because it's easier to see the notes. But really, the A major scale is a series of notes all over the fretboard. Start playing one "position", down to the D string, then playing the next note on the same string and continuing in the next "position". You'll start to connect the forms and see the scale as one large pattern on the entire fretboard.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
Hey, at least you're starting to understand the purpose of scales, to stay in key (and to solo). That's something you normally don't see in beginners. Most think they're just practice exercises.

First of all, start learning the "positions" backwards. Just write yourself a tab and start playing them backwards. The next step is to connect them. The A major scale is not really a shape. You learn the shapes because it's easier to see the notes. But really, the A major scale is a series of notes all over the fretboard. Start playing one "position", down to the D string, then playing the next note on the same string and continuing in the next "position". You'll start to connect the forms and see the scale as one large pattern on the entire fretboard.

That's what my teacher has started me doing. It works well. Go down in one shape of the scale slide up a few frets and come back up in another. Or play half way through one, and slide into another.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Some of Iommis early stuff can be played using A major, fairies wear boots is a good one. But if you can play it going down then you just reverse and go the other way. I play it in triplets, then invert it, then 4 note groups and inverted, then 5 and try to go thru it using hammer ones and pull offs to. Also try to do it in the extended and regular box. And try not to think of it as A major just think of it as the major scale. First time thru play it a the first fret then coming back down move it up a fret, play it again at the third fret, etc