ok so i have a standard tremolo found on most strat style guitars. i dont kno exactly wat its called. but i kno most ppl know what it is. the wammy bar allows it only to give strings slack to make the sound lower. is there any way i can route out wood behind it in order to let me bend the wammy bar up? if so is there anyone thats done this before?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
i think it's a vintage tremlo system ...and i don't think it can be done ... not too sure though...
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Your tremelo bridge is most likely screwed all the way down. This is sometimes done when a player doesn't use a whammy bar often, if at all, and it helps keep the guitar in tune a little better, just loosen the screws/rivets whatever on top of the tremelo bridge to a desired level and you should be able to do whammy bends in both directions.
You need to set it up to float which is easy to do it just might take a while
There are different ways people do it.

Tighten the screws holding the bridge down and then undo them by half turns and the 2 outside screws out a litle more until they bridge moves smoothly. You will also need to undo the trem claw holding the springs, to make it rise a litle.

Remeber you need to keep tuning it after adjusting the trem claw, so you have the correct tension on it so the bridge will be the final desired position. It is time consuming but if it is well done then it can work really well. Its just a case of experimenting with different settings.

Good luck
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
The 6 screws were never really made for this use. You can set em up to float a little, but not to the extent of a FR. And it really screws with your tuning stability. On a 1k MIA strat using the wammy will probably stay in tune. On a 200 dollar or less guitar they wont stay in tune. If you want to do divebombs and squeals your going to want a better wammy with a locking nut.
this is pretty much the bridge i have. i dont need it to go as high as a FR but i do want it to go up. and loosening the screws just seems like it would just make the bridge wobbly.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
what about putting some smaller springs underneath the bridge on the springs. you may have to shim your neck with it. if you love using your tremolo you may what to go kahler. they were designed for strats.
Take the back plate off, look where the springs end. There should be two screws attaching a plate, that has the nubs that springs hook on, to the body. Loosen these screws.
Weekend Warrior
^ Loosening the tremolo string screws will cause your tremolo to rise away from the guitar, that will let you bend up a little, but at the expense of not being able to bend down as far.
Quote by cedricsmods
^ Loosening the tremolo string screws will cause your tremolo to rise away from the guitar, that will let you bend up a little, but at the expense of not being able to bend down as far.

i tried this and this gives me little to no room for pulling the bar up. the bridge doesnt really rise when i loosen the plate.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Okay lets think this through intently if you lossen those two screws the springs go slack floating the trem. True. But if you do this you have a higher chance of having the guitar never getting in tune. Its just not smart to float that style trem. If your looking for a floating trem for a vintage trem cavity. I've heard things here and there about a product called the Super V for Strats (I think). But i looked at the price and didn't stop laughing. Its a little steep but if your in the market its worth looking into.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
Okay lets think this through intently if you lossen those two screws the springs go slack floating the trem. True. But if you do this you have a higher chance of having the guitar never getting in tune. Its just not smart to float that style trem. If your looking for a floating trem for a vintage trem cavity. I've heard things here and there about a product called the Super V for Strats (I think). But i looked at the price and didn't stop laughing. Its a little steep but if your in the market its worth looking into.

i'm not really looking into buying anything new. its just something i wanna do with the trem i have. and i wasnt planning on loosening the plate in the back anyways. my original question (if anyone actually paid attention) was asking if i can route out the back and if theres plans for this for exactly what i need to route out.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
As previously said the vintage wammy was never made to bend up. You could route it but you would need to leave the screws holding the wammy in loose and would wreck your tuning stability. The vintage style tremolo was never even made to do more than vibrato. If you want a serious wammy buy a wammy.