Hey guys. Yeah, so I'm teaching one of my friends to play guitar. I was wondering if you guys had any tips. I taught him a few basic chords (G, C, D, E, Em, Am) and he's just getting the hang of being able to play them (you all remember how it was when you started). He has a "3 Simple Chord" book and I'm starting to teach him a song but he's having trouble going back and forth between the 3. I told him to just practice going through the chord progression G, C, D, G, C, D, G, C, D etc... I really don't know what else to do with him during our sessions. Could anyone please help? Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone know any songs with just the chords E, Em, and Am?

-classicrockboy
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
Firstly, you'll get better answers in a different forum, but don't teach him anything new until he can play the chords.
"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
Just try some riffs and easy songs, teach him tabs
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by DCarney9116
Just try some riffs and easy songs, teach him tabs

I'm actually staying away from tabs for now because I think he should learn chords first. BTW I'm teaching him Love Me Do by The Beatles.
Quote by brandon369852
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Show them your penis.

but really show them tabs, and ask them if they want to learn a certain song.
OKAY! not to sound arrogant or anything but i'm reeeeaaaalllyyy staying away from tabs for now. and Jake911, shut up.
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

Its good that you're teaching him what he needs to know right from the beginning, but make sure you're not boring him. Ask him what he wants to learn and teach him that along with the chords you're already working on. If you can't teach him what he wants to learn right now at least teach him something that reassures him that he's moving toward his goal. 3 chords all the time to songs that he might not even like may bore him into quitting.
Got Bass?
okay, i don't even know scales, i taught myself to play, and i am just teaching him CHORDS at the moment.
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera

the best way to keep someone interested and educated in guitar is to allow them to learn whatever they want to play.

let him pick the songs and he'll learn all of those chords and scales through the songs he already likes and wants to learn how to play.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
If you're already playing the Beatles, the song Something is a good song for improving chord progression.
Pretty simple.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Teach him some dexterity and timing exercises.
Playing scales along with a metronome and stuff.
Ask him what kind of style he wants to go for and help him develop the techniques necessary for that style
well, i don't have a metronome (don't feel like buying one) and he doesn't seem to care what we play. his mom got him a G C D song book and we just picked something from there that we know.
Quote by brandon369852
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera