Recording stuff
9 45%
Low wattage tube amp
10 50%
something else?
1 5%
Voters: 20.
well guys, im torn.
im wanting to buy either some decent recording gear or a small tube amp.

if i get the recording stuff, it would be a USB converter with a large diaphram condenser.
Im wanting to record a demo for alot of the songs i have written. mostly its just for my own artistic satisfaction, im in a touring band so it would lead to anything any time soon.

i want a small tube amp for a few reasons. One is to A/B/Y with my amp now for shows. it would be used for my dirty sounds and leads. (By dirty i mean classic rock type gain, not like metal.) also, it would be nice to have a smaller amp to take to my dorm room, i get tired of lugging around my other amps. and of course, it would be nice to have more sonic options for the recording work i do.

basically i want each one equally, and will probably buy each one eventually. but cant justify spending money on both of them right now, considering im paying for college too.
any feedback you guys have is apreciated. thanks.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
bump.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Get the amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Get the amp.

any particular reason?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Man, just get the recording stuff. If it has a 1/4 input, you can always acquire some fancy software that emulates amps quite well. (gearbox perhaps?) I see no point in getting a small tube amp, when you could get the recording stuff, then you can mic stuff, and then also silently record, or achieve tones not possible with your currents amps.
Like, say you had a bad day and wanted to go home and do some chugga chugga. Mr bassman doesn't appreciate palm mutes. So you just plug your twanger in, set up some chugga things, and chug away.
Just an idea.
I'd go SM57.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Man, just get the recording stuff. If it has a 1/4 input, you can always acquire some fancy software that emulates amps quite well. (gearbox perhaps?) I see no point in getting a small tube amp, when you could get the recording stuff, then you can mic stuff, and then also silently record, or achieve tones not possible with your currents amps.
Like, say you had a bad day and wanted to go home and do some chugga chugga. Mr bassman doesn't appreciate palm mutes. So you just plug your twanger in, set up some chugga things, and chug away.
Just an idea.
I'd go SM57.

hey thanks for the help pal!!
i already have very nice software, and a mac, haha so im set for that.
i notice you have the tascam usb interface, thats actually what (one of them at least) im looking at. do you have any recordings with it? how do you like it?

and i never really feel like going chugga chugga, hha. i mainly play RnB and old soul stuff. But i use Logic 8 and it has some really great modelers on it, that would sound even better if i wasnt lined in. However im more into just using my amps though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by kool98769

XD

I've been hanging around the pit for too long.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you have material sitting there and want to record the other amp shouldnt even be an option. That just sounds like daddy has to have a new toy syndrome vs you buying somehting needed for your career/hobby. If that makes since....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
If you have material sitting there and want to record the other amp shouldnt even be an option. That just sounds like daddy has to have a new toy syndrome vs you buying somehting needed for your career/hobby. If that makes since....

thats a good point. i thought about that.
but i would be using the the little amp for recording with another band, our bass player has "real" recording equipment. also, it would be used live (we're a touring band), i would dime it out and a/b/y it with my fender running clean. i need a more british sound to contrast my american tones.

im pretty much leaning towards the recording stuff now though.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
thats a good point. i thought about that.
but i would be using the the little amp for recording with another band, our bass player has "real" recording equipment. also, it would be used live (we're a touring band), i would dime it out and a/b/y it with my fender running clean. i need a more british sound to contrast my american tones.

im pretty much leaning towards the recording stuff now though.

Examples of some other things people forget about as well. On the fly riff recording, ability to see what your sound is missing without ear plugs, abilty to record jam sessions, practice and test new techniques with ability to hear what it actually sounds like and so on...
Looking back, I wish I would have gone with an amp
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Examples of some other things people forget about as well. On the fly riff recording, ability to see what your sound is missing without ear plugs, abilty to record jam sessions, practice and test new techniques with ability to hear what it actually sounds like and so on...

do you use an interface?
if so, what do you use?
im leaning torwards a tascam US-122l right now.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Looking back, I wish I would have gone with an amp

may i ask why?
what did you get for recording, and did you already have a good amp?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
do you use an interface?
if so, what do you use?

Im using an M-Audio Pre-Usb into my laptop and im running a dual mic setup, one mic is a EV Co4 (sm57 clone cheaper and alot more responsive and less flat sounding) and a Modded Oktava m319 condensor.
Since you already have an amp, I would go with recording gear. You can actually get a decent recording gear fairly cheap if your willing to go used...Crag's List..eBay, etc.

Do you already have a computer/laptop? Are you planning on recording in one location or at remote places? What is your main reason for wanting recording gear? Want to make CD's, Record orginal ideas/material, record your bands practices/performances?
Quote by damnedone
Since you already have an amp, I would go with recording gear. You can actually get a decent recording gear fairly cheap if your willing to go used...Crag's List..eBay, etc.

Do you already have a computer/laptop? Are you planning on recording in one location or at remote places? What is your main reason for wanting recording gear? Want to make CD's, Record orginal ideas/material, record your bands practices/performances?

Macbook pro. i also have Logic 8 which is a professional level DAW that im very comfortable with.
mostly recording in my house and dorm room. mostly recording demos of my original songs as well as the occasional jam. any jams would be recorded with just a room mic though. (i play alot of jazz and RnB)
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Im using an M-Audio Pre-Usb into my laptop and im running a dual mic setup, one mic is a EV Co4 (sm57 clone cheaper and alot more responsive and less flat sounding) and a Modded Oktava m319 condensor.

I could get the M-Audio Pre-usb at a good price, i have a friend that is selling his used.
does it have phantom power? if it doesnt, then how do you power your condenser (or maybe it doesnt need any power)

are you happy with its performance?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
do you use an interface?
if so, what do you use?

If you want to use 2 mic's at once (does the US-122 even have a mic input?) then get the US-144. And it comes with phantom power too. I mean, it works good for what it does. stereo or mono inputs, SPDIF in and out, RCA stereo outs, midi in and out, and 1/4 inch headphone monitoring. You can choose between direct signal (less lag) or computer processed signal simply by turning a dial. All input and output levels are controllable via nice spinny dials :> . And it's built pretty sturdily. I was looking at a toneport originally, but it looked too much like a toy in the durability category, so i got the tascam instead, and havent regretted it yet!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
If you want to use 2 mic's at once (does the US-122 even have a mic input?) then get the US-144. And it comes with phantom power too. I mean, it works good for what it does. stereo or mono inputs, SPDIF in and out, RCA stereo outs, midi in and out, and 1/4 inch headphone monitoring. You can choose between direct signal (less lag) or computer processed signal simply by turning a dial. All input and output levels are controllable via nice spinny dials :> . And it's built pretty sturdily. I was looking at a toneport originally, but it looked too much like a toy in the durability category, so i got the tascam instead, and havent regretted it yet!

the 144 is actually the one i was looking at, so thats good.
awhile ago there was a package deal on sweetwater that had that interface, a mic cable, a mic, and a mic stand. it was under $200, and now they no longer have it. i contacted them to see if they would make me a similar package deal, but they keep offering me deals on realy expensive mics.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
the 144 is actually the one i was looking at, so thats good.
awhile ago there was a package deal on sweetwater that had that interface, a mic cable, a mic, and a mic stand. it was under $200, and now they no longer have it. i contacted them to see if they would make me a similar package deal, but they keep offering me deals on realy expensive mics.

well, what is your budget, between interface, and mic/mic accessories?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
it would be nice to keep it around $200 total.
if there was like, the perfect interface out there for $200 or more, i could just borrow some cables, stands and mics from my friend. (I would rather not do that, because im already gonna borrow some of his cymbals since i sold like 2 grand worth of mine haha.)

this is what im thinking about.
http://www.activemusician.com/item--MP.TNTBUNDLE?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=Tascam+TNT+Bundle+Computer+Recording+System
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
That looks fine, although you would DEFINITELY want to get a different mic in the future, specifically a SM57. It's probably not too good of a mic included, but it will definitely work.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
well, in the future i would get a better mic, but it would still be a large diaphram condenser.
close micing with an sm57 isnt very good at all for jazz and real RnB. A condensor about 1.5 feet away from the speaker is the best way to get that smokey ambient sound.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.