Poll: Groove Metal...good or bad?
Poll Options
View poll results: Groove Metal...good or bad?
good
7 11%
bad
12 18%
good when done right.
47 71%
Voters: 66.
Over the years, many bands have gone from thrash to groovy thrash. I personally think it ruins the genre. Pantera went from thrash (Power Metal) to groove (Cowboys from Hell). Sepultura went from thrash to groove (this includes the Cavalera Conspiracy.) Exodus did it with recent albums. Even Laaz Rockit went groove with their comeback record. I just don't like the jumpdafuckupness.

The only band that I think ever did groove right was Exhorder.

I'd like to know how you guys feel about the genre.
Last edited by metal Lover at Jul 15, 2008,
Meh.

That's it.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I really like some GOOD groove ****. I'd rather have straight up thrash, though.
I like groove metal.

My favourite GM bands are:

Pantera
DevilDriver
Chimaira (Later material)
Caverlera Conspiracy
Sepultura
Meh, most of it is just thrash metal with more beards, or Pantera worship.

Though when there's actually really tight riffing, I love it.
Quote by piratemetalhead
Meh, most of it is just thrash metal with more beards, or Pantera worship.

Though when there's actually really tight riffing, I love it.

I enjoyed that.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Devildriver and Cavalera Conspiracy are the only ones a enjoy as such, but it gets boring after a while. Cavalera are amazing live though
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I'm with Slaytanic

Meh.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I think its like any other genre. Its good when done right. Pantera is really the only groove band I listen to, and I really only like Cowboys From Hell a lot(the album, not just the song).The rest is okay.
Quote by mexicanmidget88
metalcore is metal, just with more brutality

Quote by Guns 'N' Maiden

Brandon Small Is An Amazing Guitarist and Glen Benton Is One Of The Best Drummers I've Ever Seen

R.I.P. George Carlin

May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008
I like it if I'm in the mood for it, but its not something I listen to on a day to day basis
Is White Zombie Groove Metal? because at the moment the only Groove band I listen to is Pantera this would be 2 now.
All you damn whiteys hate everything with a groove to it.

While there isn't many decent "groove" bands, its almost like the word groove scares the **** outta all the metalheads. Still though if its done right, I like it. And no I do not mean Pantera.
Quote by Shred Head
Isn't Machine Head in this genre? They pwn
Nope, & no they don't, go and listen to Vio-lence, they're much better.

I do like groove metal, good groove metal that will really want to make you just want go all out, but there's not much of it about that's too decent. I do like DevilDriver alot though, the riff near the end of Hold Back the Day is a good example of a groove metal riff.
I like Cowboys From Hell, and that's about it. The Blackening is also good example of groove done right, IMO.

What I dislike is the tendency of a lot of groove to simply sound like rehashed versions of Vulgar Display of Power. There are a fair amount of mainstream groove bands out there nowadays, and they all just sound completely unoriginal. It's a shame, it has potential as a genre.
Last edited by Vermintide at Jul 16, 2008,
Alt Metal > Groove Metal.

I can't stand this stuff, so much of it sounds like thrash minus the speed, technique or substance.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Pantera are ace, and I like the new Devildriver but I haven't heard their older material. I'm more of a black metal fan, but it's always good to hear something with groove in it rather than constantly listening to slow ambient pieces or fast-as-hell blasting.
Favorite Bands (no specific order):
- Judas Iscariot
- Down
- Immortal
- Municipal Waste
- Artimus Pyledriver
Quote by magneto6
I like groove metal.

My favourite GM bands are:

Pantera
DevilDriver
Chimaira (Later material)
Caverlera Conspiracy
Sepultura

Add Machine Head, Lamb of God & Six Feet Under to that list and you've got yourself a +1
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Exhorder did it well. and Overkill has some great groove/thrash hybrids.

the rest... not so much. and I've heard Machine Head do it well, but I don't have any of their albums.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by funeral_fog2021
it's always good to hear something with groove in it rather than constantly listening to slow ambient pieces or fast-as-hell blasting

+1 i like it because its always nice to change things up every once in a while and just listen to something with a sick groove that you can rock out to
Quote by mortiis999
Not a true genre, surely?

Post-thrash, when thrash had lost it's underground power and most of it's mainstream claim to fame in the early 1990's. Pantera and Exhorder are the two most famous for starting the genre (some consider Pantera stole Exhorder's sound and got popular off of it).

Sadly, yes.

Quote by eggsandham2
Groovy riffs don't put me off. I happen to like Gorefest a lot.

Actual groove metal, however, generally isn't all that great. I do enjoy the newest Testament album, however, and I still listen to Lamb of God occasionally.
I still don't get what exactly makes a band or song "groove metal" the closest I can come to a guess is the band Periphery, who I love but I don't know if that qualifies as groove.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
well there is a difference between a groove metal band and a band with groove influences. I personally love a lot of groove metal bands like Prong, Exhorder, Pantera (LOOOOVE), 2 Ton Predator etc...
But You can listen to a band like Soilent Green and consider some of it groove metal, although i dunno if they are classified as groove metal. Killer band though.
Quote by lilboisX3
Sexcrement - Death metal with groove.

Still Death Metal though, giving it another genre is rediculous.

Plus DM has always had groove, it's not exactly revolutionary.
Those looking out for groove, should listen to doom metal
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by dminishedthingy
anyone here heard of Trepalium?
boogie death metal ftw!

+1 to that, Sick Boogie Murder FTW!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I like Pantera, up to about Far Beyond Driven, despite a few weak tracks on that... and thats about it really.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.