Well, I just picked up a guitar and started using a book as a guide to learn chords and whatnot. What is a good song / band that has some easy songs that are easy to pick up on tab wise?
Quote by Svenfold
Well, I just picked up a guitar and started using a book as a guide to learn chords and whatnot. What is a good song / band that has some easy songs that are easy to pick up on tab wise?

Ameirca - "Horse With No Name":
http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/horse-with-no-name/

2-chords, easy as hell to play Strumming can be tricky, though.
paranoid by black sabbath (minus the solo), its almost all power chords so it helps you speed up your opwer chord progressions, and the beginning has a few power chords hammer ons that are good. (on a side note, the paranoid solo was the first solo i learned so if your up to that you can try it)

sunshine of you love by cream

purple haze
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know if what I'm doing atm is the best. I just got one of those guitar for dummies books and have been reading the theory. I got all the basic chords but havent really gone indepth as to what different types of chords there are. I figured thats a little to far beyond what I need to be doing right now, so I am atm just practicing scales, like the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do thing, and mixing it up with alternating picking, then practicing going up and down the fret bar. My intention is just to build dexterity and be able to strum with a nice clean sound and actually hit the right string when picking. Is this the first thing I should be learning or am I getting ahead of myself, should I be focusing on chords and whatnot.

I could use any input on what way to go about practicing to get better faster, but at the same time I dont want to rush into playing songs Im not ready for. Thanks.
Quote by Svenfold
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to know if what I'm doing atm is the best. I just got one of those guitar for dummies books and have been reading the theory. I got all the basic chords but havent really gone indepth as to what different types of chords there are. I figured thats a little to far beyond what I need to be doing right now, so I am atm just practicing scales, like the do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do thing, and mixing it up with alternating picking, then practicing going up and down the fret bar. My intention is just to build dexterity and be able to strum with a nice clean sound and actually hit the right string when picking. Is this the first thing I should be learning or am I getting ahead of myself, should I be focusing on chords and whatnot.

I could use any input on what way to go about practicing to get better faster, but at the same time I dont want to rush into playing songs Im not ready for. Thanks.

Two different issues. Anywho...lol. Now, onto the topic at hand. Everyone picks up things differently...so, if what you're doing is working for you, do it. Personally, I learned a little bit of strumming and the major code (along w/ Em, Bm, Am, Dm & Cm). Once I learned those, I started practicing chord progressions, and now I'm starting to venture into the blues realm.

ALWAYS repeat yesterday's lessons though...it helps a lot to burn it deep into your brain how to do this or that.

So, yeah...your method is far from what I'm doing, but if it's working for you, keep doing what you're doing. I would personally start working on chord progressions, though, soon...it'll help when you get into things like scales. If you want a really easy one, try changing E to Em or A to Am...those are I think the easiest you can get.

Also, I feel like learning songs while you're practicing can make it easier. For example, I was having issues w/ chord progressions, but I decided to play "Horse With No Name" to ease the stress...figuring I wasn't gonna get it right in the first place, lol...but, that helped me a lot w/ changing chords.

Lastly...if you're a beginner-beginner, I would def. try Horse With No Name as your first song...like I said earlier, two chords. It's actually not that bad of a song...well, to me, anyways, hah.
wow hold your horses there boys. UG has created a program/data base of easy beginner songs. Have a scope at this Easy songs there's lots and lots to choose from/
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by Brian_C
wow hold your horses there boys. UG has created a program/data base of easy beginner songs. Have a scope at this Easy songs there's lots and lots to choose from/

The problem there is that a lot of them also use hammer ons, pull offs, slides, etc...he's not up to that level yet...that's like telling a beginning painter to paint the next Mona Lisa because it's easy.
Quote by Brian_C

exactly this.
*applauds Brian*
Been away, am back