Hey folks,

I'm buying a pre-owned Yamaha Pacifica 112V Limited Edition on the cheap, for a few reasons:

1) I'm ridiculously yearning for a HSS Stratocaster to compliment my guitar collection.
2) I wouldn't mind having a cheap, yet decent, electric guitar to knock about.
3) I'm after something which is good as it is, and serves as a strong base for upgrades.

Criteria 1 and 2 are met in full, but criteria 3? Pickups are easily swapped out, tuners are easy, the nut poses no issue to change- but do you think I can find the yamaha RGX Tremolo from the higher-end Pacificas anywhere? Can I ****. Before we go any further, I don't want anyone suggesting an alternate guitar. In it's price range, there is no better guitar than the Yamaha Pacifica. I've played many of them myself, and I've found them to be better than MIM Fenders. So yeah, while something like a Squire or a MIM Fender would be easier to upgrade (due to more standard parts), I'm not willing to consider them. Squires are just crap, and I'd be paying a lot more for a MIM Fender, and getting less for my money, IMHO.

So anyways, the trem.. it's the one significant downside of the Pacifica 112. Like with other cheap trems- it's completely useless, and falls out of tune if you use it. I realise some locking tuners, a better nut, and some roller string trees will help this, but ultimately the best cure is a good tremolo, on top of those things. Unfortunately, the Pacifica trem is not quite the standard vintage tremolo, in terms of dimensions. Thus, after-market trems built for Stratocasters won't fit in a Pacifica without routing. I'm not really interested in routing. What I'm after is the Yamaha RGX Tremolo they put on the Pacifica 612V, and 812V. It should go straight in, right? Here's a couple of close-ups on the trem in question, on an 812V Yammy:

Is there any way I can buy this trem? I can't find Yamaha parts anywhere. If it's impossible to buy it, has anyone upgraded a Pacifica themselves? What trem did you put in it?

HALP!
Thats a really f**king nice pacifica! I've not had a problem with my trem

I would get locking tuners and a graph tech nut, and it should be fine for good use.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Get that one in the pic, its amazing!

Pacificas are very decent guitars, but dont be thinking you can use the trem for any dime bag/satriani/dragon force style dives, its for gentle stuff and it only goes down.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
the only way to get the tremolo is to get on in parts of ebay or somewhere or if you can the schematics for it get a firm to make you one lol

wow nice top
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Last edited by rancidryan at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by Absent Mind
Get that one in the pic, its amazing!

You're not helping me. I know it's amazing- it's a Japanes-made Yamaha Pacifica 812V, which, IMHO, completely destroys MIA Fenders. However, I said I'm getting a cheap guitar, and I know the low end Pacificas are the best guitars in their price range. Plus, I'm getting a good deal on a used 112V Limited Edition. You show me where I can buy the 812V for £60, and maybe I'll get it..

Here's the one I'm getting:

Looks way better in the flesh. It's kinda disco. It's all black (even the neck and headstock), has a mirror scratch plate, and all-chrome hardware. Looks swish, which is another reason why I can't turn it down.

Quote by Absent Mind
Pacificas are very decent guitars, but dont be thinking you can use the trem for any dime bag/satriani/dragon force style dives, its for gentle stuff and it only goes down.

Erm, I know for a fact you can set it up so it is floating.. just like any other vintage tremolo...

And yeah, I know it's not meant for huge ridiculous dives etc. However, as it comes, you pretty much can't use it even gently without it falling out of tune.
You cannot set it up to float, at least on mine any way as the body blocks parts of the tremolo from being able to go below the top of the body.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976