Just wondering, I've noticed this on a few sigs. The most notable is Alexi's, I think he has 20-24 scalloped. Is there really any benefits to this? Or is it just to make bends easier? I mean it's not like you'd have to worry about chording with it when it's the last few. Has anyone played a guitar with this? What was your impression? Was it totally unnecessary or did it make a huge difference?
i believe it also makes it so less pressure is needed to make the note sound, allowing for faster runs.

Though it means you can caus the note to go shard rather easily
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
^^^ I laughed.

GGuerra has his frets scalloped.. but hes the man.
Quote by Deep*Kick
why do you need to have ur amp flat bickie in your house if you are just practicing is what i'm wondering? Of course it's bad for every1's hearing

Rig:
Ibanez Xiphos7 w/ Blackouts -or- ESPh307->MXR ZW-44-> Peavey 6505+

7/ERG Legion
i mean its up to you weather or not you want it.

Some say it pointless.

others say it makes your over all playing better by giving you a lighter touch.

only you can really decide
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
Makes fingering the fret easier on higher frets where the gap between frets is smaller. You dont have to press down as hard to make the note sustain. I think.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i thought it offered more control
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Some people's approach to the final frets change a bit, particularly on bolt-ons. Some people find the wood gets in the way. Most of the instruments with that already usually have jumbo frets, where scalloping actually doesn't make a difference from a control standpoint, so it is just in terms of approach.

Scallop only effects control on instruments with very tiny frets, which aren't as common anymore. Basically if you can push as hard down on a string into the fretboard and it won't go out of pitch, then scalloping effects control. Otherwise it is just an approach factor where the way they hold the guitar brings their hand into the fretboard.
here's my guess at a technical explanation. when you push down on the string, your finger "smooshes" (technical term) around the outside of the string as the string embeds itself in the end of your finger. If the part of your finger thats going around the string hits the fretboard before you've exerted enough pressure against the string to get the note to sound correctly, your finger now has to push against the fretboard as well as the string, i.e., you have to push harder = more effort, and that will reduce your speed.
I too had the same question.

I remember seeing a JEM a long time ago at GC when I was a n00blet... I saw the scalloped frets on the end and was like "lolwut?"
Scalloping will affect the instruments value as well, negatively in most cases.
Moving on.....