First off, I understand the need for up and down picking, but why is alternate picking used at all?

Why would you play this, for example, with strictly up and down?:

e 7 7 8 10
b--7 8 10 8 10 10
g
d
a
e

Doesn't it make more sense to just sweep to the next string, playing both strings with the same stroke?
No, It's kind of hard to explain but, when you alternate pick it, your getting 2 separate notes as apposed to 1, I Know this sounds like the most brutal explanation ever but, Alternate Picking is the way to go for certain fast picking parts and things like that.

EDIT: Theres lots of times when other techniques would be a hell of a lot easier but some players chose to alternate pick exclusively ( Steve Morse off the top of my head), Alternate picking is also pretty necessary for Tremolo Picking & stuff like that where you may have to play a single note or string at high speed.

I know this explanation is pretty half-assed but I'm just trying to give you an idea.
Last edited by ShaunDiel at Jul 16, 2008,
because if you do that and watch people like petrucci, or paul gilbert, or satch or steve vai, then youll understand that you cant simply go down.

alternate picking is useful because instead of wasting the TIME you take bringing your hand back into position for a down stroke, you can pick another note while going up.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Sweeping and alternate picking have two completely different sounds. Convenience has nothing at f u c k ing all to do with it
watch players like michael angelo batio, paul gilbert, steve vai, john petrucci, etc. and you'll see why it comes in handy.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
do the economy picking, alternate pick the same string and stuff, but if you go up or down one string do a slight sweeping motion
Quote by zaqwsx170
First off, I understand the need for up and down picking, but why is alternate picking used at all?

Why would you play this, for example, with strictly up and down?:

e 7 7 8 10
b--7 8 10 8 10 10
g
d
a
e

Doesn't it make more sense to just sweep to the next string, playing both strings with the same stroke?

no it doesn't. because if you alternate pick you don't have to move the position of your pick at all just move your wrist up and down.
Quote by heavensassassin
do the economy picking, alternate pick the same string and stuff, but if you go up or down one string do a slight sweeping motion

+1
you understood his question
Quote by KingJustinian25
+1
you understood his question

I think you misunderstood it actually, he said " This for Example" Not " How should I play this" He asked specifically about Alternate Picking, it just turned out he had a crappy example.
I know for certain Zakk wylde would play a similar lick straight alternates, only because he favors that choppy sound strict alternate pick provides. as for me, i would play what heavensassassin recommends.
no it doesn't. because if you alternate pick you don't have to move the position of your pick at all just move your wrist up and down

it does make more sense if ur switching strings you can do it faster by doin a little sweep
I know for certain Zakk wylde would play a similar lick straight alternates, only because he favors that choppy sound strict alternate pick provides. as for me, i would play what heavensassassin recommends.

it's nice to be appreciated
Quote by TK1
because if you do that and watch people like petrucci, or paul gilbert, or satch or steve vai, then youll understand that you cant simply go down.

alternate picking is useful because instead of wasting the TIME you take bringing your hand back into position for a down stroke, you can pick another note while going up.

Yes you can, it's called "economy" picking.

TS, I don't really understand your question...up and down picking is alternate picking. Now, if you're transitioning between two strings then you've got a choice, you can either stick to your up/down pattern in which case you're using strict alternate picking, or if the next string is in the same direction you last picked you can continue that stroke and use economy picking.

To be honest it doesn't matter what you use, it's all preference. Technically economy picking is faster because you're making the best use of your movements, however strict alternate picking is perhaps better for maintaining the distinction between individual notes.

The original example posted isn't all that great because it's just alternating between 2 strings - the most efficient way to pick it would be "inside" picking, picking the b string on the upstroke and the e string on the downstroke. However, many players would choose to use economy picking and play the two strings with a single downstroke, it'd feel a bit different that way but it's perfectly valid. Obviously your upstroke is a little longer so the gap between pairs of notes is a little longer, but conversely it gives you the ability to play the two sequential notes a faster. It's all a bit moot really though, the differences are tiny and it only becomes a factor when your playing at shred speeds...and if you can play that fast then you're going to be good enough to do it either way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by TollBoothWorker
Sweeping and alternate picking have two completely different sounds. Convenience has nothing at f u c k ing all to do with it

Your first sentence was correct.

However, your second was utter crap.
You actually don't -have- to use alternate picking for everything. Theres a certain riff in *cough* Master of Puppets *cough* That i only downpick on. Because.. it feels like the only solution, and that sounds great anyway <.< Soeh.. Just give it your best shot. Also if you can already downpick it perfectly, switching it to alternate should be easier.. In my experience.
Quote by steven seagull
Yes you can, it's called "economy" picking.

TS, I don't really understand your question...up and down picking is alternate picking. Now, if you're transitioning between two strings then you've got a choice, you can either stick to your up/down pattern in which case you're using strict alternate picking, or if the next string is in the same direction you last picked you can continue that stroke and use economy picking.

To be honest it doesn't matter what you use, it's all preference. Technically economy picking is faster because you're making the best use of your movements, however strict alternate picking is perhaps better for maintaining the distinction between individual notes.

The original example posted isn't all that great because it's just alternating between 2 strings - the most efficient way to pick it would be "inside" picking, picking the b string on the upstroke and the e string on the downstroke. However, many players would choose to use economy picking and play the two strings with a single downstroke, it'd feel a bit different that way but it's perfectly valid. Obviously your upstroke is a little longer so the gap between pairs of notes is a little longer, but conversely it gives you the ability to play the two sequential notes a faster. It's all a bit moot really though, the differences are tiny and it only becomes a factor when your playing at shred speeds...and if you can play that fast then you're going to be good enough to do it either way.

Yeah, listen to him. This post is pretty much accurate.
alternate picking just lets your hand move naturally. it can be awkward for you to upstroke both notes on the upstroke. alternate picking lets you change how ever many strings you want and still be in the groove of your hand moving the same way.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Sorry for the bad example.

It's all a bit moot really though, the differences are tiny and it only becomes a factor when your playing at shred speeds...and if you can play that fast then you're going to be good enough to do it either way.

Is it important to use alternate picking when shredding?
Last edited by zaqwsx170 at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by zaqwsx170
Sorry for the bad example.

Is it important to use alternate picking when shredding?

Alternate picking is important almost everywhere. Metal uses a lot of downpicking on the slower stuff because it sounds a lot nicer. But when soloing and on the higher strings, its almost a must have technique.