So I have decided against getting the guitar that I had planned on getting (ESP MH-103) and Im going to be getting an Epi LP Goth series.

Now I have heard that the pickups that come stock arent that good and I was wanting to upgrade them to something with heavy sound, depth, and clarity. I dont know whether to go with actives or passive. But I will be playing metal rhythm and lead, and some progressive stuff as well as the occasional clean stuff. So basically a well rounded pickup that sounds good in the LPs.

Any suggestions?
I have heard the JB/59 set are good for LPs

If you go active, the 81/60 set apparently go well from what I have heard from a friends guitar.

If you look at how much it will cost once you buy the guitar, pickups and install them, would it be around the same price to buy a better guitar to begin with?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Perturabo
I have heard the JB/59 set are good for LPs

If you go active, the 81/60 set apparently go well from what I have heard from a friends guitar.

If you look at how much it will cost once you buy the guitar, pickups and install them, would it be around the same price to buy a better guitar to begin with?

True
Yeah, probably, but I like the styling of the Goth. Its not that its a bad guitar, I have just heard bad things about the pickups.
Quote by Perturabo

this is true. but for the pickups, the JB/Jazz or JB/59 would be okay. i would also suggest a Duncan Custom/Full Shred combo.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
If you buy a cheap Epiphone, you also get the cheap tuners, wiring, bridge and wood.

If you were originally looking at the LTD, see if you can find an EC500 10th aniversary secondhand. It has the better pickups,bridge and wiring, the LP shape, and it's got the matt black finish,,,

Would be worth looking at if you can find one.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
i had an epi sg and out of nowhere the tone pot gave out... talk about a p.o.s. i use an invader/gfs 59 combo in my jackson and it does wonders for metal.. but if you want to spend extra and buy the seymour 59 for the neck its the same thing.

p.s.check out guitarfetish.com id suggest there mega rails for a bridge and a vintage 59 for the neck if you like to do a lot of sweeps.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
How is that Vintage 59? The few clips I heard on youtube sounded a bit twangy?

i got mine with a black nickel covering over it did the ones on youtube have that or were they open coil?

but anyways.. my sounds actually really nice no twang but that nice clean soft paf sound, it maintains well underdistortion so it doesnt blair i personally do a lot of sweeps and the claritys great. you cant really lose its only thirty bucks for a pup and if your not happy jay will refund(gfs owner).
Nah, the one I saw had open coils on it. But you're right about the not costing alot part. I may just go with those GFS pups. They seem really good and for an incredible value. So thanks for that recommendation. I had completely forgot about GFS.
no problem dude i think the caseing might actually have to do with the twang thing thats why i picked the covering in black nickel to match my guitar better and soften the sound out.
Sweet. I'll def talk to the guy and get his opinion before I make an order, but I'm going to get those to pickups. Im pretty sure about that one.