There isn't a methodical process to capturing an expression.
Just make a song, who cares how you finish it.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
^+1

For the record, I almost always write my music to my lyrics. It's personal preference though really, I just find it easier this way. However, it has its flaws as I find I cannot write riffs for songs as easily as I imagine it would be by writing the music/riff first.
I do it both ways. If some interesting lyrics come to my head, I write them down and flesh them out, eventually turning them into a full song. Then I put music to it.

If I'm on my guitar and come up with a cool chord progression, I hum to it, eventually coming up with lyrics.
I know it isn't always the case, but a lot of the time I think that if you come up with the lyrics first, they will be the focus point of the song. If you write the music first, it will draw more attention. Like I said, that isn't always the case of course. It depends what style it is really.
What everyone else has said in this thread sums it up really.

Quote by ~kztiHz
What would be first when you're creating a song?
I think lyrics, but i do music first.
Positively smashing question, and it all comes down to your personal skills.

For example, I (if I may so humbly say) am better at writing melody than harmony and better at wrting harmony than lyrics and better at writing lyrcs than beats. So I write my melody first, than my harmony (bass lines, chords and so on) and than my lyrics and than my beats.

So it all comes down to your skills.

Quote by GuitarSymphony
There isn't a methodical process to capturing an expression.
Just make a song, who cares how you finish it.
Good sir, you should. As a writer you should take upmost care in how you write. If you write carelessly, than what would be the point in writing?
Theres no one method to writing good music, but there are smashing tips and ideas which you come across, maybe you might even here a few from gentlemen like myself?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.