I'm getting my first effects pedal later this month, what should be a good first pedal to enhance my tone, playing, etc. My budget is 100 dollars.

I have a Line 6 spider III 15 right now.
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

get a wah, thats fun
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
A wah is good, because you can be very creative with one and many genres use it.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Do those Digitech multi-effects come with a wah, and is it any good, or should I just get a crybaby?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

My advice: save up for a processor of some sort.
I bought a wah for my first pedal, and to be honest, I don't really use it, because my mulieffects deal has wah in it. I have a korg AX3000G. It's good stuff. Don't get me wrong, it has its flaw, and that is its distortion and overdrive sets, because those are totally ****. but all the other effects on it are good quality and almost as adjustable as on a stompbox.

My advice however, buy a Boss one or the Vox one (havn't tried the vox, but people say it's allright), but I know the boss one has a built in digital recorder, witch would be cool, and I regret not having.

Bottom line: a processor will cover you with effects (believe me delay will blow your mind) but you will have to buy an overdrive pedal of some sort. This is far less expensive than filling a pedal board (about 150 bucks) with miscelleneous pedals (each about 100 bucks, four pedals, that's 550 for your board, that probably wouldn't be that great of a set up)

multi effects deals can be crap, like the line6 one I think is not so great, but a few are good, try a bunch out, including the ones I've listed above and you should find something you like.

good luck

EDIT: Run away from digitech stuff, those pieces of crap are....well....pieces of crap.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
dude did you get the optional pedal that comes with the spider because if you didnt i recomend you get that pedal it got like a wah and chorus and you can tweak the delay settings that come within the spider amp even more it
Quote by Solteris
Please inform a dumb foreigner as to which type of football the AFL is, american football or soccer?

!WEST AUSTRALIAN MUSICIANS!
Save the money or get a Wah/Distortion pedal
My gear:
-No Brand Classical Guitar
-Squier Stratocaster Affinity Series
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Boss GT-8
-Boss DS-1
-Roland Cube 60

FREE TACOS!!!
Quote by cloudjessie42
I'm getting my first effects pedal later this month, what should be a good first pedal to enhance my tone, playing, etc. My budget is 100 dollars.

Uh, what? A pedal won't make you a better player. I hope that's not what you meant...

Oh, and I hope that whoever reccomended a muntieffects for a Spider owner thinks a little more before posting agian.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Uh, what? A pedal won't make you a better player. I hope that's not what you meant...

Oh, and I hope that whoever reccomended a muntieffects for a Spider owner thinks a little more before posting agian.

Yeah sorry i didnt mean it would make me a better player.

so the boss processors plus a boss distortion is good?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

I have the rp-80 by digitech. I really surprised me how good it sounded, but take in mind I bought it just to see what different effects there we're & how often I would use them, and wasn't expecting much at all.

for $99.00 I have found I use chorus, distortion and sometimes delay.

I would probably use wah but the one they used doesn't work the way any other wah has ever work that I've used. It has like a few millimeters of travel that actually works, but just cuts out the bass instead of slowly disappearing.

I've never used the line 6 pedal you mentioned but if it's a multieffects pedal test different pedals that create effects you use the most.
boss distortion in my opinion (i have the DS-2) are not very great sounding, they sound very digital and computery, but with your amp, you probably won't know the difference. I have a metal muff though, and any overdrive that's not metal I can get from my amp (peavey classic 30)

DEFINITELY please try to test all of the pedals and multieffects you can don't just take UG's opinions.

originally with my post I was just trying to save you money so you didn't go out and buy a bunch of pedals. with the multi-effects deal, you may end up with pedals, but you will know which ones you absolutely need, rather than buying everything that looks cool

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Yeah well im just trying to get some kind of effects for the least amount of money because the ones that come with the spider suck. By the way the guy that said the rp-90, hows the whammy effect because thats something else im really REALLY wanting right now
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Take a serious look at a used Boss ME-20, I'm sure you could get a used one on eBay for that price.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Plugging things into my friends spider has never really worked for me. Be careful.
Dorkus.
Quote by AthenasGhost
A wah is good, because you can be very creative with one and many genres use it.

Not to mention one of the only pedals that's going to be useable with the spider.

A wah, EQ or delay are the only viable options really, anything else simply isn't going to work with the spiders own modelling...and multi FX are a definite no-no.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh, wow... didn't know that about the spider. that's crap man, I'd get a new amp if I were you, but if you want some fun then go ahead and get a wah.

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
Quote by Shortcut
Plugging things into my friends spider has never really worked for me. Be careful.

Wow, that's not good. Can you tell us more about why FX boxes don't work so good with a Spider III. I'm planning on getting a Boss ME-50 or Boss GT-6 later this year to play through my Spider III. So before I fork out some yoyo's I'd like to know if there's going to be any problems?? Surely if I turn off the effects on the Spider amp I should be able to use the FX box??

I know Line6 have there own forum, so maybe someone could check that out. (I would but it's blocked here in work)
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

Quote by Brian_C
Wow, that's not good. Can you tell us more about why FX boxes don't work so good with a Spider III. I'm planning on getting a Boss ME-50 or Boss GT-6 later this year to play through my Spider III. So before I fork out some yoyo's I'd like to know if there's going to be any problems?? Surely if I turn off the effects on the Spider amp I should be able to use the FX box??

I know Line6 have there own forum, so maybe someone could check that out. (I would but it's blocked here in work)

The line 6 is a digital modelling amp, it's designed to take a clean analogue signal, convert it to digital information then process it accordingly. If you plug a digital multi FX into it then you're giving it a processed digital signal to work with and that's going to confuse matters. That's also why distortion pedals sound terrible with them, all you're doing is screwing up the input signal so you end up with signal corruption rather than the kind of distortion you want. The Spider is a cheap practice amp, it doesn't have bypass so there's always some processing going on.

To be brutally honest an expensive FX unit would be a complete waste of money with the Spider, if you find the tone lacking then the best option is to replace the amp. If you just want to be able to change sounds while palying then buy the Line 6 footswitch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cheers SS. Makes perfect sence what you're saying.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

Any distortion wouldnt be good with spider. I'd say a wah if you are not planning of selling your amp.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by strat212
boss distortion in my opinion (i have the DS-2) are not very great sounding, they sound very digital and computery, but with your amp, you probably won't know the difference. I have a metal muff though, and any overdrive that's not metal I can get from my amp (peavey classic 30)

DEFINITELY please try to test all of the pedals and multieffects you can don't just take UG's opinions.

originally with my post I was just trying to save you money so you didn't go out and buy a bunch of pedals. with the multi-effects deal, you may end up with pedals, but you will know which ones you absolutely need, rather than buying everything that looks cool

Hold me back, people, hold me back... ah soddit. I happen to own a DS-2, and if you really think it sounds "digital and computery" you obviously have no idea what you just said. Disclaimer: I'm not defending it just because i own one. I can see exactly what some people hate about them. But what i can't see is how you come to the conclusion that they sound "digital and computery", or why people say that about every solid state device on this forum lately as though they think solid state IS digital, which it is not.
[/rant]

I wouldn't recommend getting pedals with your current amp though. on the clean channel, distortion pedals would probably be ok, if a little washed-out sounding. It sounds like what you're really looking for is a new amp, but you just don't realise it yet
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 16, 2008,