influence
theory
sound?
velocity?
agility?

okokok
please don't come here and post
"A great musician needs all"
I know that, but, if you see famous musicians like Santana, Hendrix, Jaco Pastorius, Vic Wooten, Arturo Sandoval, Mike portnoy, John Myung, Petrucci, they have good technique ok but they're known by their improvisation and innovation in music. I think improvisation es the most important part. Sometimes a virtuoso don't knows anything about reading music (at the beggining)
that's my point.
Who's to say a great musician needs any of those? Great musicians are subjective. However, those musicians you mentioned are good because they are good at what THEY do. It's like you're trying to unlock some sort of secret to music and establishing some hierarchy of, "what's better than what lol". Improvisation is cool, but why would a virtuoso need to know that? A lot of virtuoso's do just fine playing what's in front them, or just write and never improvise.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
to me a great musician is one who has his own sound and style thats why my favorite guitarists are Dave Mustaine and Randy Rhoads because they have their own style and when they started out they didn't sound like everyone else. But also technique is important and so is improvisation but being fast and being able to fly all over the fret board don't make you great.
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
A good ear, intelligence, passion, determination, creativity, heart, and soul.

EDIT: And Fearlessness.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 16, 2008,
The ability to put their idea(s), feeling, and skill into songs they like to listen to.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Great replies so far. Having excellent ears (Gives you the ability to hear music in your mind). Creativity, and probably the most important, determination. The best are best because they are great artists. They are masters of self expression. Not because they know all the scales and can play a million songs.

Knowing everything you listed will not make you a great artist. It will simply make your tools more effective.

You have to start expressing yourself and writing music right now. As you learn new things along the way you then implement them into your creativity. Knowing everything there is to know about theory, technical skills, aural skills, sight reading, etc will not make you any better if you don't know how these tools are compatible with yourself. They may help you with playing licks at 1200BPM but how is that relevant if you want to John Mayer? Or John Petrucci? Petrucci is not good because he's fast. He's good because he has artistic control over his speed.

Having a great teacher to tell you what is it that's lacking from your arsenal is priceless.
Last edited by earplay at Jul 16, 2008,
Quote by earplay
Great replies so far. Having excellent ears (Gives you the ability to hear music in your mind). Creativity, and probably the most important, determination. The best are best because they are great artists. They are masters of self expression. Not because they know all the scales and can play a million songs. Knowing everything you listed will not make you a great artist. It will simply make your tools more effective.

amen.
none of the above
love for what your playing
youve gotta feel it
you know,like really be into what your playing
make it fun
its gonna be a chore if you dont enjoy it
then your gonna end up giving up
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
the ability to create good music

+1

Of-course the idea of "good" music is completely subjective, and so is the idea of what a "great" musician is.

I consider a great musician to be one that can express themselves artistically.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 16, 2008,
What makes a good musician is subjective, but what makes a capable one can best be described IMO as one who knows how to, and is able to make his music sound like he wants it to.
A great musician must have (drum roll please) great music!!!

Great is so objective, it's not even funny.

Was Kurt Cobain a great musician? Not anywhere close if you look at technique, but many consider him a great musician.

Is Michael Angelo Batio a great musican? If you look at popularity, not really; yet, there are people that would call him a great musician.

Is country music great music? Not in my mind, but I'm sure there's legions of people that love it to death (quite literally, suicide rates are higher in areas where country music is more prevalent, irrelevant of any other known factor).

The thing about great musicians is that EVERYONE has a different mentality of what a great musician is, and what a great musician does to be great.

There is no set definition of what a person needs to have to be considered a great musician. I like 80's hair bands, I think that Vinnie Vincent, Steve Lynch (not the comedian), and C.C. Deville are great musicians. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one... but that doesn't matter, everyone is a great musician to someone.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX

Was Kurt Cobain a great musician? Not anywhere close if you look at technique, but many consider him a great musician.

Is Michael Angelo Batio a great musican? If you look at popularity, not really; yet, there are people that would call him a great musician.

Is country music great music? Not in my mind, but I'm sure there's legions of people that love it to death (quite literally, suicide rates are higher in areas where country music is more prevalent, irrelevant of any other known factor).

The thing about great musicians is that EVERYONE has a different mentality of what a great musician is, and what a great musician does to be great.

There is no set definition of what a person needs to have to be considered a great musician. I like 80's hair bands, I think that Vinnie Vincent, Steve Lynch (not the comedian), and C.C. Deville are great musicians. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one... but that doesn't matter, everyone is a great musician to someone.

bingo
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
A good musician is someone who knows what he wants his music to sound like, and knows how to make it sound that way.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by AngusX

You sir have won my respect.

But before we can be subjective about what makes a great musician, what is a musician?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
what is a musician?
A person who creates music that other people hear.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
A person who creates music that other people hear.
Creates as in, recreates (performs) or composes? And why does other people need to hear it?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
a great musician is one who takes their instrument and breaks it on stage.

....dammit

*back to the drawing board*
Quote by demonofthenight
Creates as in, recreates (performs) or composes? And why does other people need to hear it?

both is creating. you are creating sounds that are arranged in ways we call notes, which we call music. it doesnt matter if its your own or someone elses. when you play a note you are creating that note and making music.

i would assume that most musicians would want to share their music with others. thats the way humans are. we want to share that which brings us joy with others. some are too shy maybe, but on some level im sure they'd want to overcome that and share the music.

but do people HAVE to hear it? i guess not. i do a lot of playing by myself just to get that emotional release i need. would i consider myself a musician if i never played for people? im not sure. ill have to think about that more.
Quote by mike
And why does other people need to hear it?
Cos I was being all "tree falling in the woods" n' ****
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Cos I was being all "tree falling in the woods" n' ****
A tree can't hear itself fall. A musician can hear himself play.
Beethoven
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Beethoven
He wasn't always deaf. Plus, he knew how his stuff sounded.

EDIT: Tree makes a sound depending on definition of sound. The one definition implies a listener while the other means merely soundwaves.
What makes something exist?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
What makes something exist?
Please, absolute existence is for conformists. Existence depends on perception. I think.

Well this thread is sure taking a left turn...
Last edited by grampastumpy at Jul 17, 2008,
Existence depends on perception. I think.
So if music is not heard, does it exist?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
So if music is not heard, does it exist?
Saw it coming a mile away. A lone deaf man on pluto playing a guitar is making music if he is conscious of what music is and he is genuinely trying to. He doesn't perceive the music in the traditional sense of hearing it, but he is still a musician. The trick is, for someone born deaf to really understand music is virtually impossible.
Saw it coming a mile away.
Was it meant to be a surprise?

A lone deaf man on pluto playing a guitar is making music if he is conscious of what music is and he is genuinely trying to. He doesn't perceive the music in the traditional sense of hearing it, but he is still a musician.
For the people of earth, does that music exist?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
Was it meant to be a surprise?
Eh, fair enough.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
For the people of earth, does that music exist?
That's actually a really good one. I'd say that TO them, it doesn't exist unless of course they know about him. However, given that it does indeed exist for sure somewhere(which, in this case, it hasn't been, it's just one guy thinking it does), it exists regardless of their belief. Beyond that it depends on what sort of viewpoint you subscribe to.

So what inspired you to feel "tree falls does it make a sound"-ey?
I'd say that TO them, it doesn't exist unless of course they know about him.
I know about a guy called Randy Rhoads, but I haven't heard his music (true story). He has heard his music, does that mean it exists for me? Other people have heard his music, does that mean it exists for me? I haven't heard his music, should I still think he is a musician because he and others say so?

So what inspired you to feel "tree falls does it make a sound"-ey?
Mike's question about what is a musician
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I know about a guy called Randy Rhoads, but I haven't heard his music (true story). He has heard his music, does that mean it exists for me? Other people have heard his music, does that mean it exists for me? I haven't heard his music, should I still think he is a musician because he and others say so?
You know he creates music. That would make him a musician, even by your first definition. It would also make his music exist.
You know he creates music.
No I don't, I have only been told that he creates music.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime

Mike's question about what is a musician
But it still exist's for you. Think about this, some guy named Rhandy Rhoads writes a solo. I've never heard it, you've never heard it, but the lead guitarist of dreamtheater or opeth might have. So they get influenced by it and in turn it influences us.

Hypothetically, if a tree falls in the forest, it will kill a bird, who wont be able to feed its chicks (dont worry guys, they die too) a couple killometers away, who will make a shitload of noise and piss me off. So although I never see or hear said tree, I definantly felt it's effects.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
No I don't, I have only been told that he creates music.
Yeah, I based my bit on the assumption on you knowing that as a given. If you did know it, of course the rest would be true. It depends on whether or not you believe Randy Rhoads creates music then. If, by some miracle, you don't, despite how obvious it is he does, then well, he isn't a musician to you. There is next to nothing we can absolutely know, but there's plenty of information that serves reliably true for most intents and purposes, and the "absolute fact" that Randy Rhoads creates music and is a musician is one of them.

Man, I'm pretty bad at this. I need to hang out with more people who like to talk about this stuff.
Quote by stumpy
Man, I'm pretty bad at this
No you're not, you make good points and don't contradict yourself.

Quote by mike
But it still exist's for you. Think about this, some guy named Rhandy Rhoads writes a solo. I've never heard it, you've never heard it, but the lead guitarist of dreamtheater or opeth might have. So they get influenced by it and in turn it influences us.

Hypothetically, if a tree falls in the forest, it will kill a bird, who wont be able to feed its chicks (dont worry guys, they die too) a couple killometers away, who will make a ****load of noise and piss me off. So although I never see or hear said tree, I definantly felt it's effects
Thats true... 'cept I don't like Opeth.

So back to my original definition, if somebody plays music but nobody else ever hears it they aren't a musician. I still think this is true, but I'm sure you guys can probably convince me otherwise.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
No you're not, you make good points and don't contradict yourself.
Aww, thanks. I guess I'm just used to lesser "opponents".
Quote by Ænimus Prime
So back to my original definition, if somebody plays music but nobody else ever hears it they aren't a musician. I still think this is true, but I'm sure you guys can probably convince me otherwise.
What gives everyone else's opinion precedence over the musician's? If he hears, or otherwise is aware that he is making music, he is a musician.

I should probably go sleep soon.
Quote by stumpy
What gives everyone else's opinion precedence over the musician's?
What gives the opinion of the guy playing guitar precedence over everyone else's?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Page 1 of 2